Sound system control standards & compatibility questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MercDane

Car
2002 W203 220 CDI
Hi everyone,

I have a 2002 220 CDI that has a factory-installed BOSE sound system. The headunit is an ‘Audio 10’ (that’s what it says on the cassette lid). I wanted to replace the factory CD changer with one that supports MP3 (most robably SONY as I like the quality) and probably also the headunit with something that has Bluetooth steaming. I would like to do this without having to re-wire everything and would also like keep using the car’s integrated control mechanism (steering wheel buttons that control everything else as well) to manage the sound system after the upgrade. Therefore, I need to buy items that are compatible with the signal/bus standards Mercedes uses for the sound system (or buy interface adaptors that are of varying quality and quite risky with compatibility issues of their own).

Does anyone know the standards Merc uses for communication between the car control unit and the headunit and also between their ‘Audio 10’ headunit and their CD Changers? Any other advice and previous experience anyone might have from a similar endeavor would obviously be greatly appreciated too.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,
Gabriel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom