Soundbar advice.................

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSM10000

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E32O CDi Sport, MX5 1.8 Sport, Range Rover 5.0 SC, BMW X1
Having just acquired a new TV (https://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-u...s-freesat-hd-apple-tv-app-titan-gray/p4061289)
I would like to add a little more to the overall sound output.

We are very happy with the performance of the TV, it has an excellent picture and colour resolution, is intuitive to use etc but all such Televisions are limited by the relatively small and slim speakers installed.

I will be purchasing a soundbar and possibly a sub woofer to compliment the TV and would welcome suggestions. I would prefer one to be in keeping with the size of the TV and may mount in on brackets below the table the TV sits on.

My only other stipulations are Bluetooth connectivity, available in gray /black and the ability to control it via the Samsung remote control that ships with the TV.

Budget is around £500 or so.

Thanks in advance

I can see the TV has an ARC port which means it can control an audio device and control it via TV. Information on websites on ARC is scarce and most samsung soundbars seem to do a bluetooth connection with the TV and have a different "one remote". here is a very good one HW-N850 | HW-N850/XU | UK
Not a big fan of BT connections as WiFi interference is high. You will get a brilliant soundbar wiht £500
I have a Sony TV and Sony Sound bar connected via ARC and it works great; TV powers on and off the sound bar and controls the volume via remote control.

Thanks for that it is very useful but I would also like to hear from members with specific experience of different brands etc

I’d prefer a sound base, at least it would blend in a bit better.

Depends on the age of your ears - you might be paying for something you cannot hear. People complain about the "cr@p" sound system in the SL - mine sounds perfectly good to me :). I have a LG sound bar (~ 8 years old) with our ~2 year old Samsung QLED - sounds excellent compared to the Samsung speakers.

I bought a new telly from Richer Sounds last year (40" 4K Panasonic), and whilst I was at it bought an inexpensive Denon AV receiver. With that and some second hand Mordaunt Short Genie speakers I got from eBay (2 side and 1 centre) I've got an excellent sound system that stands me in at less than 300 quid. It's got bluetooth in and the AV receiver volume is controlled by the Panasonic remote down the HDMI cable. Worth looking at this kind of setup if you've got room for the receiver, as it's a pretty chunky piece of kit.

Cheers,

Gaz

I purchased ....

Q Acoustics M4 soundbar review | What Hi-Fi?

Having entered the minefield of soundbars! It is mounted underneath the wall mounted TV, am very impressed with the sound quality and all it offers. Think I paid around £250 at the time for it.

Blunt.
I meant that, to my eyes, a soundbase looks more like an integrated unit than a bar in front of or below the TV.

Really?

You seem very angry.

I meant that, to my eyes, a soundbase looks more like an integrated unit than a bar in front of or below the TV.

No anger, was unfamiliar with the term sound base, looking on line there seems to be quite a cross over in size, shape etc between sound bars and sound bases.

For our needs the smaller the better because I can probably devise a way of supporting it without it being too obvious or if not then it will not be a dominant feature hence the choice of a 43" TV when we probably could have fitted in a 55" but thought they looked overly .

Having read various reviews on the above suggestions I have purchased the Sonos beam as I like the looks, compact size and (if one believes the reviews) the performance. :)

Thanks to all for taking the time and trouble to share your thoughts!

Depends on the age of your ears - you might be paying for something you cannot hear. People complain about the "cr@p" sound system in the SL - mine sounds perfectly good to me :). I have a LG sound bar (~ 8 years old) with our ~2 year old Samsung QLED - sounds excellent compared to the Samsung speakers.
Its just bad ear, I noticed majority loves to listen to high pitch sound, yet the most comfortable cutoff frequency is around mid-range. Everyone complains about how "unresponsive" sound is in most mercedes cars but the reality is they are very well optimised to prevent irritation

https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.3758/BF03212689.pdf

Last edited:
I hear no highs, I hear no lows. The sound is coming from speakers by Bose.

Are you an Audiophile? or just looking to improve the tv sound a bit?? Whilst i have no soundbar experience a do have a dedicated cinema and full surround in the lounge.

This is a good unit and with a wireless sub makes installation a doddle

Panasonic SCHTB700

I hear no highs, I hear no lows. The sound is coming from speakers by Bose.

Are you an Audiophile? or just looking to improve the tv sound a bit?? Whilst i have no soundbar experience a do have a dedicated cinema and full surround in the lounge.

This is a good unit and with a wireless sub makes installation a doddle

Panasonic SCHTB700

Thanks.

Have purchased a Sonos beam :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom