Soundbars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gentabout

Car
E350 Estate AMG Night Edition Premium +
Looking for some advice and having seen posts on here before I know there are some knowledgable TV/Audio people here.

Last year we replace an old Sony 40" tv with a 49" LG 49UJ634V, now this TV is better in every area than the previous Sony except in the sound. The sound quality is garbage and last night whilst suffering while SWMBO was watching the Voice it was obvious I need to do something about it as the program was not really watchable.

So budget around £200 and ideally would like it to connect by HDMI ARC for ease, maybe Bluetooth so we can stream from our phones as well. The most important thing though is sound quality for films and general tv watching, it will be nice to be able to hear conversations without then getting deafened by the music.

Help.

No personal experience of them, and for me, not something I'd consider although I do understand the appeal. I do get that not everyone wants a full surround system cluttering up the place.

I've always found these folk to do pretty reliable and honest reviews:

Best Soundbars

I have a Samsung sound bar with our Samsung 55 inch Smart TV. The sound bar itself is connected to the TV with an optical cable ( if my memory is correct ) while the bass unit is connected to the sound bar by wifi , so needs a 13 amp power plug but no other cable. This gives us a really nice full sound and can be adjusted for Drama, music, news, Cinema or Sport. This is not a full surround sound system but gives us great sound quality. Cost about £300 5 years ago and was specifically bought because bar and bass unit are silver not black !

Hi,
We have a 55” LG TV and bought an LG soundbar with a floor mounted subwoofer speaker.
Difference in sound quality is amazing - especially the bass!
TV and Sounbar remotes are both compatible - as both LG.
Cheers
Steve

One thing to check are the dimensions of the sound bar in relation to what the TV is sat on, the TV support bracket/ feet, and the position of the remote receiver on the set*. A friend recently purchased a Pansonic sound bar to go with an existing Sony TV. When sat on the TV corner-unit in front of the TV the sound bar is just high enough to obscure the TV's remote receiver from the TV remote control signal. He is delighted with the sound quality but less enamoured with the necessity to bounce the remote signal off the ceiling to change channels!

Have my sound bar mounted about 15 cm below the TV which is wall mounted, cables all hidden in trunking in the wall

I have a Samsung k450 soundbar and subwoofer. Cost about £150 new. Very clear sound with bags of available volume and bass. It Links via Bluetooth to our Samsung smart tv.

Has Bluetooth so can play music via phones and IPads.

The subwoofer is about the size of two shoeboxes and can be positioned anywhere in the room where ther is a convenient 13amp socket. The subwoofer connects to the soundbar via Bluetooth so there are no wires to hide. To the ear, bass frequencies are not directional. This is why you can position it anywhere in your room.

Few months ago I went to Sevenoaks to buy a soundbar as I was also sick of listening a crap sound coming from a telly and after a talk with the salesman explaining him what I want to achieve and answering his questions about what I already have I left the store with 3m optical cable which now connects my LG TV with Pioneer amplifier and the sound coming from floor standing speakers is fantastic. It is exactly as advised by the salesman. So, if you already have any audio equipment check the inputs you have on the back plate.

I recently purchased a 65" Sony LED, sound was loud as it uses the screen as a speaker but lacking bass. If I had the budget would have bought a Sonos sound bar (may still treat myself) but I found a Sony Sound bar used with remote sub woofer which matched TV well, sounds good and only cost £60 used, bargain!

Would recommend Sony.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

One thing to check are the dimensions of the sound bar in relation to what the TV is sat on, the TV support bracket/ feet, and the position of the remote receiver on the set*. A friend recently purchased a Pansonic sound bar to go with an existing Sony TV. When sat on the TV corner-unit in front of the TV the sound bar is just high enough to obscure the TV's remote receiver from the TV remote control signal. He is delighted with the sound quality but less enamoured with the necessity to bounce the remote signal off the ceiling to change channels!

good advice

A SB from any reputable manufacturers will be fine and is needed for most of these flat TVs as there is no place for decent speakers in them. I have a LG sound bar which I previously used on a Sony and now use on a Samsung Qled Tv. Sound bar is about 5 or 6 years old and perfect.

I'd get a system with a wireless sub-woofer so that you and locate it (SW) any where in the room that is convenient and less wires to worry about

I recently purchased a 65" Sony LED, sound was loud as it uses the screen as a speaker but lacking bass. If I had the budget would have bought a Sonos sound bar (may still treat myself) but I found a Sony Sound bar used with remote sub woofer which matched TV well, sounds good and only cost £60 used, bargain!

Would recommend Sony.

My son just got the latest 65" Sony with the stand at the back (the bottom of the screen rests on the TV table and the screen tilts back slightly). It really has excellent sound.

SONY BRAVIA KD65AF9BU 65" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED TV

Would recommend Sony.

I’ve got a fair few items of Sonos kit now and a sound bar is next on the list.

A little different but it works quite well.

I had a spare pair of bookshelf HiFi speakers. I connected them directly to the TV by taking the back off and disconnecting the internal speakers. The HiFi speakers are connected to the wiring by a neat plug and socket and the whole modification is reversible if need be. I did check the impedance of the internal speakers to make sure I didn't overload the amplifier. Result was vastly improved sound quality at zero cost.

Looking for some advice and having seen posts on here before I know there are some knowledgable TV/Audio people here.

Last year we replace an old Sony 40" tv with a 49" LG 49UJ634V, now this TV is better in every area than the previous Sony except in the sound. The sound quality is garbage and last night whilst suffering while SWMBO was watching the Voice it was obvious I need to do something about it as the program was not really watchable.

So budget around £200 and ideally would like it to connect by HDMI ARC for ease, maybe Bluetooth so we can stream from our phones as well. The most important thing though is sound quality for films and general tv watching, it will be nice to be able to hear conversations without then getting deafened by the music.

Help.
We have the LG 49UJ651V, and use the NB2540 LG sound bar. You can connect it to the TV using an optical cable or bluetooth which is what I use.

You still need to use both remotes, the sound bar doesn't automatically switch on with tv. It's a 2.1 system, provides a noticeable improvement over the TV speakers which to be honest are dire. I purchased the sound bar about 3 years ago, so I imagine it's been superseded by an improved variant, price wise it's about £80 now

Panasonic Sound bar which came with Panasonic plasma ( getting on a bit now but still rocks) which is a big step up from the built in iccky speakers but not hifi.

Got quite a lor of Sonos kit already so pondering the Sonos Soundbar, but it only has optical input and is probbaly due a refresh soon

Or the Sonos Beam

Or Sonos Soundbase

It's a puzzle. Probably the Beam

Sonos Beam vs Playbar vs Playbase: which is best?

Panasonic Sound bar which came with Panasonic plasma ( getting on a bit now but still rocks) which is a big step up from the built in iccky speakers but not hifi.

Got quite a lor of Sonos kit already so pondering the Sonos Soundbar, but it only has optical input and is probbaly due a refresh soon

Or the Sonos Beam

Or Sonos Soundbase

My brother has a Beam that he is very impressed with.

Well I have the same tv and I agree the sound from the tv speakers is very poor,I bought a LG soundbar and connected it by optical cable and for me the sound is great,but I am no sound technician,from memory I payed about £50 for the sound bar,it made all the difference

Or the Sonos Beam

Or Sonos Soundbase

I guess it depends on what you use your TV for - I don't need / want hi fidelity sound or surround sound (went down that route over 20 years ago, when it first came out, and have been through several systems since) and (while I can afford it) a Sonos sound bar would be complete overkill for day to day TV viewing for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom