Sounding horn scares dashboard to death!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

corned

MB Enthusiast
Car
car
This is an odd one... Happened today, but has happened on a couple of previous occasions. What am I doing wrong?

1. Feckwit pulls out right in front of me;
2. I go for the brakes, and also the horn push in mad panic, i.e. mash steering wheel centre with palm of hand;
3. I think the horn sounds;
4. I can't hear the horn itself because of the cacophony coming from the dash/cluster - sounds like the warning bleep when you first switch on, but continuous. No warning lights/messages;
5. Panic averted, release horn push and the horn stops, but cacophony continues for several seconds;
6. Eventually noise stops, and several seconds later still, the single "everything OK" beep sounds;
7. Calm is restored.

What is going on? Does anyone else have this? I'm baffled as to what the car thinks is wrong, and it certainly is not telling me. :dk:

A weird one indeed.

Frightened the ***p out of me when it first happened - not expecting it and all that. Come to think of it, it came as a nasty shock on each occasion. Am I going to scare the airbag into deploying itself?

It doesn't seem to happen if I carefully press the star until the horn sounds - only when in blind panic mode when I'm pressing everything in sight in a bloody hurry!

I wondered if it is because I am inadvertently catching one of the steering wheel control button pads and it doesn't like it? Do I need to make sure I press the wheel centre? I note the horn symbols are embossed on the edges of the central airbag pad just above the control button pads on both sides. Should I be more specific in precisely where I am pressing it?

You can press the airbag pad anywhere really. Pushing at the corners is best as this requires the least amount of pressure to be applied.

very weird though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom