Soundproofing diesel cars - anyone done it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kdh

Car
E Class 320cdi Estate
Has anyone successfully cut down the noise of a diesel car with soundproofing?

I have a W211 E Class estate and the noise from the diesel engine is louder than I would like. Sounds like I'm driving a Taxi.

There is standard soundproofing under the bonnet but it's still pretty loud in the cabin.

Any tips? Anyone done it?

Many thanks.

Check engine and gearbox mounts - in bad condition they will transmit a lot of vibration.

Thanks, it's actually the rattle of the (tappets?) coming from the centre of the engine under the cover (where the injectors are?)

I notice there is a soundproofing pad there but it doesn't seem to be doing much good.

Turn up the radio! :D

Presumably only on tickover?
I can only suggest more underbonnet insulation but be wary of the fire risk.

Sounds like I'm driving a Taxi.

Many thanks.

Clue is right there :D

Sorry couldnt resist :doh:

It's over 40 years since I fitted a soundproofing kit to a car but he one thing I remember is it's not about adding thick felt under the carpets because that on it's own doesn't provide much attenuation of the noise. There needs to be a physical barrier of high density material like a plastic or rubber coating on the felt.

Like most things attention to detail might help. You could remove the carpets and make sure the existing insulation is properly fitted with no gaps or breaches around cables entries etc.

...trade it for a petrol...don't know why anyone bothers with diesels? Noisy, expensive to repair...dpf etc,etc...

Yes, Id like to. They are noisy and they smell.

Any petrol engines you could recommend for a W211 C-Class or E-Class Estate?

Ha.
Fair enough :)

Honestly i loved my s211 e320 cdi, I didnt think that the engine was OTT noise wise at all, My friend has a later v6 cdi and that is even quieter.

I have a W211 E Class estate and the noise from the diesel engine is louder than I would like. Sounds like I'm driving a Taxi.

There is standard soundproofing under the bonnet but it's still pretty loud in the cabin.

Many thanks.

Yes.

On my B class I bought the extra sound proofing for the bonnet. I also removed the seats, carpet and dashboard and applied dynamat to every surface I could. It massively quitened down the whole car from engine noise and road noise, Ive since done the same to my sons A class and my Smart.

There is a special type of dynamat for the engine bay too but I havnt used it myself (yet)

At 239,000, my 320 cdi purrs like a kitten, certainly quiet inside the cabin and even with the bonnet up its not that noisy.
Certainly nothing like a Citroen or Peugeot which rattle away like spanners in a saucepan.
My old 300td wasn't noisy nor the 250 before that, and even my old Sprinter doesnt give much Diesel knocking noise.
Many moons ago, a friend of mine did an apprenticeship in a Simca dealers. Horrible vehicles. Standard practice on a service was a can of STP over the rocker arms just to quieten the tappets down for a while.

Steve

Is your engine running too noisey ? I am in a w212 2.2 d at the minute and it's very quiet ,we bit of engine noise on cold start for about a minute and that's it .
Picked up a kuga 173 bhp awd 4-5 wks back and it was terrible the pinking of the tappets ,,,,one wk later got the oil drained and discovered he had wrong oil in engine put right stuff in and bingo
All the scary rattles gone .

...trade it for a petrol...don't know why anyone bothers with diesels? Noisy, expensive to repair...dpf etc,etc...

Apart from dpf issues which are rare, diesels have the same repair costs as petrol.

...not true...dual mass,dpf,turbo,injectors,lift pump etc...diesels are inherently more expensive to repair than petrol cars...as well as being less refined and more polluting...even politicians are now condemning these vehicles...

...not true...dual mass,dpf,turbo,injectors,lift pump etc...diesels are inherently more expensive to repair than petrol cars...as well as being less refined and more polluting...even politicians are now condemning these vehicles...

I agree diesels are more polluting in urban areas but they generate less CO2.
Petrol engines also have injectors, turbos and possibly DMFs. As for less refined, what does it mean. They are noisier at tickover and when stuck in traffic if the stop start isnt working I agree.
I have never had a diesel related issue with any diesel car in 15 years of ownership.
Not many petrol related issues are reported on forums because approx 90% of mercs seem to be diesel so maybe that gives the impression of diesels being more expensive to repair?

I have never had a diesel related issue with any diesel car in 15 years of ownership.

I've had a few but nothing so expensive to put me off another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom