Soundproofing diesel cars - anyone done it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sometimes i wonder who gets on here?? Most of us are a load of sheep that even follow what the Politicians say....they never say it how it is only how they want it to be!

Mercedes have one of the most advanced diesels engines with their appropriate systems ...fuel pressure etc. Mine has NO DPF

They do not smell ...the fuel can smell but that is in the tank!

They chuck out around half the CO2 per gallon that a petrol does so a diesel can travel more than twice the petrols range for the same amount of CO2.

They have far more torque so need less throttle for the same job a petrol needs.

In it`s day when produced the OM642 was the fastest diesel engine in the world.

My C320cdi is not noisy as i use 2T to a ratio in the fuel.

I would compare it to any petrol MB for noise and when driving you would never know which type of engine is in the car. It is even quiet from cold.

Just come back from the Pyrenees in Southern France and averaged around 45mpg even at 130kph.

Go listen to ANY diesel Peugeot if you want to hear a noisy diesel i really don`t know how they sell them?

Last edited:
I agree the OM642 is a great engine. I love mine. Sadly some sound deadening has come loose inside the engine bay but managed to force it back into position. It had come out from under the rubber seal that goes round the top of the engine bay.

I wouldn't say it was very quiet, no. But then it is a diesel.

To stop noise getting through the bulkhead, apart from making sure there are no holes, you need a heavy, thick insulation material attached to it, both sides if possible.

That type of material is normally made of rubber with lead particles embedded in it, so will have a slight MPG impact.

Another way if reducing engine noise is to absorb it before it goes as far as your ears. This is done with soft-surfaced material applied anywhere under the bonnet where there are large (ish) areas of flat metal, which would normally reflect the noise.

So, basically, you need the heavy insulation material where you're trying to stop sound travellimng through to your ears, and soft-surfaced stuff under the bonnet to absorb as much as possible at source.

Don't forget the "decorative" engine cover also makes a big difference to the engine noise, so check the bits of insulation underneath it haven't fallen off...

As Alfie said, IT CAN BE DONE! Just needs some time sand an understanding of the way noise is transmitted. Oh, and sound insulating materials can be pricy, so shop around.

...not true...dual mass,dpf,turbo,injectors,lift pump etc...diesels are inherently more expensive to repair than petrol cars...as well as being less refined and more polluting...even politicians are now condemning these vehicles...

Hmm, half the parts you've mentioned are also in petrol vehicles. And politicians are condemning diesels, even contemplating a scrappage scheme, but guess what, it would only be for vehicles made before 2005 as anything after that is Euro 4 compliant and less polluting.

Russ

Last edited:
...each to their own I reckon Russ...I have owned diesels but ,and for example, nothing out there,diesel wise, is as sweet and smooth as the 3litre straight six in my BMW 630i...or the turbine smoothness in my sl320...

Engines are literally the heart of the vehicle so why have cotton when you can have silk ...

However, I accept completely that we all have to make choices and our priorities etc are different...mine is but a personal view...

All good wishes...

Diesels Mercs are quieter on the move than the equivalent petrol car.

The diesels are noisier at rest, compare the 350cdi to the 350cgi on the linked list.

I imagine the diesel is not working so hard as a petrol at comparable speeds.

I have a diesel but really don't have any bias towards either fuel systems.

When I purchased mine I truly believed it was the best cleanest option at the time.

My car is a S212 E350 Bluetec 2016 EU6 rated.

http://www.auto-decibel-db.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My current car is a 58 plate W204 C220 cdi Elegance Estate with circa 95K miles. I bought it from a Main Dealer 18 months ago but found it noisy when in traffic. Took it to my Local Main Dealer and went for a drive with a Technician. His view was that the noise was normal. He also checked various mountings and there was nothing untoward.

I researched various sound proof materials, including Alfie's Dynamat suggestion, which seemed by far the best. Expensive and labour intensive so decided to live with it.

Just returned from The Lake District - 300 miles in just over 5 hours - and noise on motorway is no worse that the petrol Mercedes I have had previously. Fuel consumption is much better, albeit it slightly more expensive per gallon, so staying with it.

I dropped a diesel engine into a petrol SL. Not a lot of people know that :doh::crazy:

Anyways...I used a marine sound-deadening layer on the bulkhead. This is foam/lead-loaded layer/foam. Results are very good.

I've had a few E-Class diesels, the last one being a 65 plate and always thought how quiet they are for a diesel car. Recently changed to an SLK with the same 2.2 engine and that is a bit noisier at low revs. Not sure if that is normal or if I need to get it looked at.

Sure there isn't a noisy injector or something?

I absolutely love the sound of 5 & 6 cylinder MB diesels. The OM642 is a great sounding engine IMO!

I've had a few E-Class diesels, the last one being a 65 plate and always thought how quiet they are for a diesel car. Recently changed to an SLK with the same 2.2 engine and that is a bit noisier at low revs. Not sure if that is normal or if I need to get it looked at.

Maybe the E has better sound insulation?

I've got an E350 CDI and it is noisy however the same engine in my friends S class is much more quieter.

I don't really notice it thought i just turn up the music.

Just changed w211 E320 cdi , very quiet except at tick over when cold, just swapped it for an ML 320cdi, also very quiet once moving. Only a V8 would tempt me back to petrol, love the torque that big diesels give you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom