Sounds like I have a tin can tied on behind me!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smart320

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Toyota RAV4 3dr , SLK55amg, ML320 (2 ) A210 , E320 ( all gone )
just got 1 mile down the road then a sound like metal tin can being hit and a piece of metal being scraped around started! Not continuous but frequent and starts if you brake . Turned round and went home, cannot see anything amiss underneath, anyway Mobilo on the way , Any ideas?

Exhaust heat shield. ? Find a mc donalds and chill ?

Am home and chilling, just curios while awaiting RAC who obviously have the contract! Mind you it will be a takeaway if the are too long coming, was on way to town to buy provisions :D

My money is on the brake disc backing plate/shield or whatever it is called. Apologies for the lack of tech terms, but it’s the shield/plate that sits behind the brake disc, and it is not uncommon for them to either corrode and come loose from their fixings or by other means become insecure and make contact with the disc, causing an annoying scrapping/tinny sound!

Thanks, hopefully the RAC will sort it! Definitely not corrosion as the car is as new , only done 21k miles and kept garaged ( until I got it ) , just a pain in the a*rse as it nice weather and suspect it will need a visit to the dealers 40 miles away , we will see, but thanks for the suggestions

I had a similar issue a few months ago.

Turned out to be a snapped exhaust bracket which was then rattling about.

Car has only 14k miles.

Interestingly when I called Mobilo they said that the SLK55 is prone to snapped exhaust brackets , so this was their best guess at that stage, anyway will post later after the diagnosis by the RAC

Here's hoping they are correct, exhaust bracket a cheap fix...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

We'll have got T1 warranty so hoping it is not exhaust!

Well I hope the RAC have turned up by now,or are you having a take away,and leaving the shopping till tomprrow ;)

Good result , turned out to be stone moving around between rear disc and backplate, all sorted now thanks .

I had that on my old c class coupe many years ago
Sounded awful, hard to locate, screwdriver prised it out.

Glad sorted

Also had a carrier bag melt on the exhaust - that smelt and worried me !!!!

That smell would have worried me as well!

Well done or maybe well done the RAC,at least it was a simple fix,ok many will say is that all it was,but better to stop using the car until it is sorted,glad you are now mobile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom