Sour smelling interior

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave Richardson

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W176 A class 180 cdi
Could someone could up with a reasonable suggestion to over come a sour smell which has developed in my car ?

I bought the W169 as a runaround & get to work car during the summer & it was fine without any interior odours, a few days ago I finished work in the early evening & found the windscreen to be covered in condensation.

Over the following few days a really sour smell became noticeable, I've checked the carpets & spare wheel well & they are both completely dry.

Today I've placed a dehumidifier in the car to draw out as much moisture as possible.

I'm now wondering about changing the pollen filter & air con bomb process.

Has anyone got any other thoughts Please.

David

Something else you could try is Dettol disinfectant spray into the air intakes like you would do the air con bomb.

You need to locate the source of the water ingress. Sometimes the carpets can appear dry but the sound proofing material underneath can be soaked.

It's a real pita when this happens as the cause is not always very apparent.

Worth checking the door drain holes are clear and free to drain. I had a passenger door fill up on one car after the drain holes got bunged, produced an unpleasant Aroma.

Check the windscreen scuttle drains are clear of fallen leaf debris etc.. any blockages can lead to water getting in via the cabin air intakes. Also check you a/c drain is clear.

As above you'll need to pull up the carpets and sound deadening to check for wetness

I'm just wondering if a Moisture Meter (the 2 prong meters that surveyors use to check for damp in plastered walls) would help find any wet areas of carpet/trims/Roof lining etc.

It might just save you searching all over the place. I think you can buy a really basic one from DIY stores for £30-40 ish.

Good luck Dave. It's a pain when these things happen.

Ant. :thumb:

Thanks Guys,
I took the pollen filter out & found it to be soaking wet & a drain hole blocked with yucky stuff, I've cleaned out the drain & purchased a new Mann filter from Eurocar parts which interestingly was cheaper from their E bay store than via the website with the 30% Halloween offer.
I 've left a dehumidifier going all day in the car & it collected a little moisture but
I will take up the carpets tomorrow & check

Finally I like the idea of Dettol Disinfectant spray rather than an air bomb, nice one JohnEboy

Dave

I can't remember who's idea it was but someone off here and credit to them for a great idea!

Happytalk73 said:
I tend to use a bath bomb from Lush. :bannana:

Oh god Ant. My missus loves going there, I hate shopping and all the bright colours and busy people irritate me, but the smells in that shop really anger me lol

Oh god Ant. My missus loves going there, I hate shopping and all the bright colours and busy people irritate me, but the smells in that shop really anger me lol

Haha, you're funny Ash.

I must be in touch with my feminine side eh? I love it in there. Nice smells, nice staff, and on the whole nice female customers. Just like Ann Summers! :D

Happytalk73 said:
Haha, you're funny Ash. I must be in touch with my feminine side eh? I love it in there. Nice smells, nice staff, and on the whole nice female customers. Just like Ann Summers! :D

Last time I went in there was to buy a gift set of bombs for my sons mother, was with my mate and he ended up buying the shop... for himself!

He lost respect that day :D

Goooooooooo on Ash. Give it a try. Lush bath bomb, a few candles and a babycham.

((Sorry to Dave for the thread hijack)

Happytalk73 said:
Goooooooooo on Ash. Give it a try. Lush bath bomb, a few candles and a babycham. ((Sorry to Dave for the thread hijack)

I have been very tempted but never have time for a bath! (Yes I shower before people say ewwww!)

I have been very tempted but never have time for a bath! (Yes I shower before people say ewwww!)

I was tempted many years ago and regretted it. Let's just say I was allergic to something in the bath bomb which effected regions down below.

Mrhanky said:
I was tempted many years ago and regretted it. Let's just say I was allergic to something in the bath bomb which effected regions down below.

Funny you should say that, after spending £40 on bombs on that occasion for the sons mothers Xmas present, turned out she's allergic to them also!

Gave them to the missus instead, winner winner chicken dinner :)

You do know you're not meant to sit on them don't you? :eek:

As it's a run-about; if the smell lingers, cover the interior liberally with bicarbonate of soda when parked up (steering clear of the dashboard and other switches) and vacuum it up a day later. I got told to do this when I had an old car which smelled heavily of dog and it worked a treat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom