SOUTH AFRICAN ALFA ROMEOS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
I was unaware till now about Alfa Romeo's SA presence but my curiosity was prompted by this video.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
and subsequent searching brought up this thread.
South African built Alfas
Missing of course from all of this but lurking in the background unspoken is the APARTHEID word.

A bunch of cars where built in SA as knock down kits. Mercedes Benz included. I'm partial to the Ford Cortina with the V6.

SA Hillman Minx I believe had a Peugeot motor. BMW was ex Glas looked like a Peugeot 404.
MBs, VWs have been assembled since 1950s

I knew about the MB and BMW connection, but was unaware of the Alfa one till now. The GT series were a great drive back then Alfa Romeo GTA - Wikipedia but their prices were in the E Type bracket if memory serves correctly- and they rusted badly in the UK climate

I think SA was a bit of a hot bed for Alfa. They produced a limited run (200) 3 litre GTV6 for homologation when all the others were 2.5l. I believe Autodelta helped them develop it. They ditched the fuel injection in favour of 6 dellorto carbs. The Busso V6 sounds epic anyway but with 6 dellortos.....surely that’s not even legal.

even now there’s a huge Alfa scene in SA.

I knew about the MB and BMW connection, but was unaware of the Alfa one till now. The GT series were a great drive back then Alfa Romeo GTA - Wikipedia but their prices were in the E Type bracket if memory serves correctly- and they rusted badly in the UK climate

have you seen the Alfaholics GTA-R’s? Sublime.

have you seen the Alfaholics GTA-R’s? Sublime.
THINK I POSTED THIS BEFORE NOT SURE?

THINK I POSTED THIS BEFORE NOT SURE?

ah me want! I’ve got an Alfaholics exhaust and cat - I think that’s as close as I’m going to get!

Alfaholics have recently given the same treatment to a Junior Zagato for Gordon Murray. That looks exceptional too.

I wasn't familiar with the Junior ZAGATO model but can see some of its styling features carried through to later models.:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom