South African Factory

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

se97mlm

Car
'98(R) Silver C240 Elegance
Anyone have any idea which MB models are/were produced in the South African factory? I heard a rumour about all new C class W203's in RHD were, any others?

Unfortunately the C class saloons are made there :(

Estates and sports coupes are made in germany

Unfortunately the C class saloons are made there

Have they had any quality issues with the south african factory then?

Robbo

They did at the start . i think they are all sorted now :rolleyes:

Hopefully:D

My C has a note on the label in the door plate which says Made in South Africa.
Now done 3500 mls perfect.

From what I understand, most plants now have an AMG section, where the normal cars come off the production line and get turned into AMG's. When I was at AMG in germany, only the E55's were being made there. Not sure what's made there now - just the engines and 'special' vehicles I think.

Originally posted by Maff
From what I understand, most plants now have an AMG section, where the normal cars come off the production line and get turned into AMG's. When I was at AMG in germany, only the E55's were being made there. Not sure what's made there now - just the engines and 'special' vehicles I think.

yep only E55 estates are made at AMG rest come off normal production lines.

when you say c class saloons are made there, is that W202, 203 or both?

Originally posted by se97mlm
when you say c class saloons are made there, is that W202, 203 or both?

the W202 is discontinued and has always been assembled in Germany.

Originally posted by Koolvin
the W202 is discontinued and has always been assembled in Germany.
Mine was made in Bremen, how about yours? :p

I never realised MB had a Car plant in South Africa.
I am awaiting delivery of my C class and was offered the option of collecting it myself from Bremen....so I was thinking thats where it was manufactured........I shall ask the nice Lady at the "stealership"

Best regards
Joe

I cannot recall exactly but it was either the MB or BMW factory in South Africa also asembled Hondas. When I was last in SA, many cars stored in the open air at the MB factory had been damaged by hailstones and were being sold off cheaply. The hailstones, it is reported, were the size of golf balls !

Originally posted by Shude
As a matter of fact, the plaque next to my radiator says "Mercedes-Benz of South Africa". :D

Yes, all RHD W203's are made here.

And Daimler-Chrysler of South Africa also assembles and sells Mitsubishi and Honda products.
A few years back, they even made a few AMG Hondas. :eek:

Yes, all RHD W203's are made here.

Actually my RHD W203 was made in Germany:D

Robbo

Last edited:
Originally posted by Shude

According to this site mine was made in Bremen too, shame it's USA specific and can't decipher the dates properly otherwise the rest of the info seems correct.

S.

I recently took delivery of a C180K made in SA - this was the quote from the MB regarding collection: 'Factory Collection is an option for everyone taking delivery of a Mercedes - be they private or company customers. Unfortunately you can't go to South
Africa to collect it (this is where the C Class saloon is built!) but you can go to Germany and collect it.' .... No quality probs with mine at all, just had to wait 5weeks longer than original delivery date!! Can't get me out of it now....:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom