Southern Spain in 2-3 days?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted96908

We are heading down to Tarifa soon for a few weeks for an extended birthday celebration with friends. (Spanish Atlantic cost next to Gib). We've been there quite a few times but usually via ferry to Bilbao and then a day's dash down south.

This year I've been told we are driving the whole distance (best to give in for an easy life). Has anybody here driven down through France then on to Southern Spain? I'm allowing two days in total (or 3 if we end up driving from Sweden, which is around 12 hours to Paris). I've done the south of France in a day many times from London, but never the whole trip.

Is it too far? Especially considering the same will need to be done on the way back. Although I've moaned about the prospect of driving, I wasn't relishing the mini cruise, so would like to make this work. I've got a choice of cars, but may end up taking something a little older if we can find something in the next few days. So thinking 60mph will be our max if we do.

Any advice would be appreciated. Routing is fairly simple I think, so no worries there. Just concerned about being knackered when we arrive.

chris

We are heading down to Tarifa soon for a few weeks for an extended birthday celebration with friends. (Spanish Atlantic cost next to Gib). We've been there quite a few times but usually via ferry to Bilbao and then a day's dash down south.

This year I've been told we are driving the whole distance (best to give in for an easy life). Has anybody here driven down through France then on to Southern Spain? I'm allowing two days in total (or 3 if we end up driving from Sweden, which is around 12 hours to Paris). I've done the south of France in a day many times from London, but never the whole trip.

Is it too far? Especially considering the same will need to be done on the way back. Although I've moaned about the prospect of driving, I wasn't relishing the mini cruise, so would like to make this work. I've got a choice of cars, but may end up taking something a little older if we can find something in the next few days. So thinking 60mph will be our max if we do.

Any advice would be appreciated. Routing is fairly simple I think, so no worries there. Just concerned about being knackered when we arrive.

chris

I drive from Wirral to Andalucía twice a year
1650 miles via Tunnel, stop in Normandy near Rouen for first night (410 miles), stop outside of Limoges second night (380 miles) stop Aranda de Duero third night (90 mins north of Madrid 400 miles), then on to Near Velez Malaga where we have a home..
A very easy journey, but I always have a co-driver with me and share driving every 3 hours or so.
You may not wish to be so relaxed about your journey, but you should manage comfortably in 3 days possibly 21/2 if you can share the driving with someone.
The Autoroutes are comfortable safe and fastish (80 max), but will cost approx. £75 each way.
You will be knackered in my opinion if you drive yourself and if you seek to do it in 2 days.

Good luck and do enjoy it as the open roads are a joy once you leave the large towns/ cities behind.

We've done Gibraltar a few times and used various routes over the years. From London it's just over 1500miles so with 2 x 10hr driving you can cover the trip in 2 days.
Aim to transit France the 1st day ending up around the Bordeaux area for the night. Next day a nice drive through Vitoria-Gasteiz, Burgos, Valladolid, Salamanca, Seville and Tarifa.

I have run it on my own but not very enjoyable and totally wasted afterwards leading to a lazy next day.

Which ever route you choose, plan for lots of short breaks and for the fun factor, stick to the National Route, they're free and will keep you occupied

Stay safe and enjoy :)

Have likewise done Gibraltar and two days was sufficient to not feel exhausted the other end - none of the roads are particularly demanding so you can just relax and eat up the miles. I find audio books can be perfect for that type of drive, especially if you were keeping to limits.

I've not done spain, but have driven to near Palma, Italy a few times, that's only 1000 miles. That is a good 2 days from the midlands, including dover calais ferry. I would hazard a guess that the extra 500-600 miles would require a 3rd day. I love the drive, and hate ferries so its enjaoyable for me. So long as you don't drive silly hours, maybe only 8-10 a day, its not too exhausting.

I normally go to Portugal is about 1600 miles from Kent takes me around 18-24h depending on traffic I would drive all France and stop for some sleep near the border and do the rest of the journey next day !:)
I normally don't stop but I don't recommend anyone doing it!!

I've done London to Biarritz one day and there to Malaga the next, it was ok - but we did share the driving between 3.

Great place Terifa, enjoy. Drove there soon after I bought the C43.

Stayed at quite a few of Spain's wonderful Parador's on the way there and on the way back, so we took quite a few days to get to Tarifa totally un-spoilt.

Cheers Guys, all very useful info and much as I thought. Yes it's possible, but share the driving and if you rush you'll be knackered for a day or so. Don't mind sharing the driving for much of the way, but always found the run down from Madrid a bit of a rat run and probably not best suited to the lovely, but inexperienced, Mrs Chris.

Now added Cannes to the itinerary on the way back (TV trade event), so looking like a 4k mile trip all in.

Thanks again

Chris

Have likewise done Gibraltar and two days was sufficient to not feel exhausted the other end - none of the roads are particularly demanding so you can just relax and eat up the miles. I find audio books can be perfect for that type of drive, especially if you were keeping to limits.

Interesting you mention audiobooks - They are an essential part of my life and I couldn't imagine a day without something of my choice to listen to when travelling.

20th century political history is my thing. I'll post something when I get time, It'd be interesting to see how many other folks share the same interest.

Interesting you mention audiobooks - They are an essential part of my life and I couldn't imagine a day without something of my choice to listen to when travelling.

20th century political history is my thing. I'll post something when I get time, It'd be interesting to see how many other folks share the same interest.

For me they really transform business miles that would otherwise be 'dead time' into something useful that feels enriching for want of a better word.

I range quite widely, but exclusively non-fiction and biography, plus a lot of shorter Radio 4 documentaries.

Would be interesting to see how many of us there are.

I too share an interest in history: the last 250 years especially.

I've done London to Tarifa three times in a W202.

The first time, I did it "quickly". This meant doing it in 20-24 hours, stopping only for petrol. While one driver slept, the second drove, and vice-versa.

The second time, we stopped somewhere near Andorra (on the french side) in a really nice quaint little place that was a cross between a hostel and a brothel... but with a nice ambience to it.

(the third time, I can't remember as I was driving Tarifa-London while under a lot of painkillers and with a broken leg... but I made it in 30 hours or so...)

It's doable in 2 days if you are willing to drive 10-12 hours a day... but if you want it more relaxing, take 3 days.

M.

I think being realistic, you will be lucky to get away with a 12-14 hour drive each day, including eating, peeing and stretching stops.

Of course it can be done but not so enjoyable.

I think being realistic, you will be lucky to get away with a 12-14 hour drive each day, including eating, peeing and stretching stops.

Of course it can be done but not so enjoyable.

I'm ok on long drives to be fair, Sweden - Denmark - Germany - Holland - Belgium - UK easily achievable in a very long day. It's the traffic what worries me though. What makes sense on quiet roads could be suicide elsewhere.

Driving through the night on the motorways can be good too: less traffic, less heat and less glare from the sun.

I'm ok on long drives to be fair, Sweden - Denmark - Germany - Holland - Belgium - UK easily achievable in a very long day. It's the traffic what worries me though. What makes sense on quiet roads could be suicide elsewhere.

Avoid larger cities in Spain. Leave very early in the morning from the UK, so that you go past norther France before 8am. I think I did a 4am eurotunnel crossing last time, which worked well.

Andorra is a good place to stock up on alcohol (duty free), but adds a few hours to your journey as the road is quite windy.

Southern Spain I've always been lucky, but be careful, I'm told the local plod don't appreciate british plated cars... just rumours though from my perspective.

Remember to carry all the various car appendages... including a spare tank of fuel.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom