Southport & West Lancs afternoon run & Curry. 25 September.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Meldrew2

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mine: BMW X4 2.0d M-Sport (Red) Hers: BMW X1 2.0d M-Sport (Black) Sorry about that...
Is anyone interested?

Thinking of meeting around lunchtime in a location close to the M6 or M58. Either meeting about 12 for Sunday Lunch or around 1pm if joining after the meal.

A run around West Lancashire (some nice country roads) with a coffee stop or two, finishing at "Shamraat" Indian Restaurant in Southport for those who fancy a Curry.

1. Meldrew2 & Ms.Meldrew2

Anyone else?

I will definitely be there for the curry but not likely to be in a MB

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

At first I thought "Oh no!!!! We go on holiday that week" But we're back on Saturday. Sounds like fun. Meldrew, do you know the road from J27 to Parbold? Lovely views over the West Lancs plain from there, if it can be worked in.

Mrs Lisa110rry
(Mr ditto doesn't like curry)

...not likely to be in a MB...

Me neither:eek::devil:

...do you know the road from J27 to Parbold? Lovely views over the West Lancs plain from there, if it can be worked in...

A5209? Yes, I know it well. Great views, especially westbound. The large gas tower at Southport is no longer there - I miss it! :thumb:

Is anyone interested?

Thinking of meeting around lunchtime in a location close to the M6 or M58. Either meeting about 12 for Sunday Lunch or around 1pm if joining after the meal.

A run around West Lancashire (some nice country roads) with a coffee stop or two, finishing at "Shamraat" Indian Restaurant in Southport for those who fancy a Curry.

Anyone else?

Sadly, SuzyCute and I have a prior family event so not able to make this one. :(

Yep, I remember the gas holder. You could see it from my home at times of the year! Yes A5209. If the meet point was to be Crow Trees BP station, we could go down that hill or even maybe Miller and thingy as the meet point for coffee stop? Though that is on the other side of the road, plenty of parking though. There is one thing I don't understand though. Your message suggests a meeting time of noon, a drive in company including coffee stops followed by lunch, but you have suggested non-lunchers meet at 1?

I am completely torn. I can either eat curry or have my little dog as my 'wing canine' in the passenger seat. She does love having the top down and hanging over the open winder with her tongue out making all the 5 year old girls on Lord Street squeal. I'll wait to understand more of the plan.

Meldrew2 said:
Me neither:eek::devil: A5209? Yes, I know it well. Great views, especially westbound. The large gas tower at Southport is no longer there - I miss it! :thumb:

... Your message suggests a meeting time of noon, a drive in company including coffee stops followed by lunch, but you have suggested non-lunchers meet at 1...

I was thinking of meeting at 12 for lunch - non-lunchers joining us at 1, a drive to a coffee stop, another drive...

It's not set in stone yet - so any suggestions are welcome.

2. Flango
3. Trapperjohn
4. Lisa110ry + dog? (+Mr Lisa110ry?)

Meldrew2 said:
1. Meldrew2 & Ms.Meldrew2 2. Flango 3. Trapperjohn 4. Lisa110ry + dog? (+Mr Lisa110ry?)

Get you now Meldrew2, sorry, misunderstood. I think it's unlikely Keith will join, he struggles to get in the car due to arthritis and curry isn't his thing, but I'll ask nearer the time. We will have driven seven hours the previous day and he may wish to rest (though I pinch the steering wheel from him on the drive home for as long as I can, love driving his Tiguan, which was chosen because it is easier to get in to than a car). I'm very sorry Gollom and SusieCute can't make it, we could have had a subset of SLKs, one sensible and one not so (no prizes for guessing which is which).

Would have liked to meet Gollum and SuzyCute, been chatting to them for years but never met.

You can always come for part of the day- that was my intention with starting at lunch and finishing with dinner, just pick the bit(s) that you fancy.

I could make it to lunch dependant on distance (and health on the day). I'll do a route finder once you set a location.

Ant.

What time were you thinking for having the curry? Don't mind a run over to the wrong side of the hill but if it's going to be an evening do we will prob do the lunchtime, then set of back home in the afternoon

At a guess... ... ... Lunch at 12, curry at 7. Take your pick, you will be very welcome!

Thanks Meldrew. I think maybe the best thing for me as I'll need to deal with all the laundry after the holiday and so on and go back to work the following day, would be to have lunch, do the drive (which I'm looking forward to because I believe some of where we both live is truly beautiful if mostly flat)' and then return home curry-less.

Ant and Dogbreath, would love to meet you if you can make it. Ant, it used to take me three hours to get from my home to Hamilton on a Sunday when I worked on the Bathgate Newarthill Pipeline in 2004 or 5, but since then the A74 has been 'motorway-ised' I believe.

I'd love to come Lisa. I've yet to attend a GTG. I'll keep an eye on this thread. Hopefully I'll make the lunch meet.

As soon as everyone's decided on the venue I'll do a route finder. I'm dead on 100 miles to Preston jct on the M6/M61

A74 a mish-mash of all sorts. It's a still scary road to be on. Lots of slow moving trucks in convoys and just as many (if not more) have-a-go heroes in very average cars that take silly chances. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I think after talking to the boss we are going to do the lunch and afternoon drive, then head off back home to Lincolnshire around teatime.
Will make definite plans like Ant, when everything is arranged...!
Lee
P.s it will be lovely to say hello Lisa....

Here's the proposed route and timings...

12.00 - meet at The Sandpiper, Bickerstaffe. L39 0HD Just off the M58 J3, (close to M6 J26) plenty of parking. Aiming to eat at 12.30 - anyone not wanting lunch could come a little later.
The Sandpiper

2.00 approx Set off for an afternoon run. B5240 to "Ring O' Bells". A5209 & Junction Lane to Burscough. A59 to Rufford. A581 to Euxton. B5252 to Chorley (North). A674 to Houghton. A675 to Samlesbury. A59 & A677 to Mellor Brook.

3.30 approx Arrive at KFC Mellor Brook. BB2 7BU for a coffee stop. This is a bit historic - it's one of the first in the UK, opened by the first UK franchisee, Ray Allen, who opened the very first KFC in Preston in May 1965. There's a good size car park and their coffee is Lavazza - in my opinion - pretty good.
https://www.kfc.co.uk/find-us#/lat/53.76182867596005/lng/-2.594790458679199

From here, it's a short run to the M6 J31 for those who are heading home.

Those who are of a curry-related disposition can take the M6 south to J27, A5209 over Parbold Hill, B5246 to Mere Brow and A565 to Southport and the Shamraat.

http://www.bigreddirectory.com/shamraat-southport

I know the route looks a bit complicated - but it's along some nice A & B roads through a few pleasant villages. I'll print off some routefinder directions and have them with me at the Sandpiper.

Last edited:
Meldrew, I'll peel off at Mere Brow. Do you know the Legh Arms has reopened under the care of the same people who have the Hopvine in Burscough? Everyone raves about the Hopvine, but as I am not a fan of pub culture I've not been in it.

The Legh Arms used to be the "poster pub" for Boddingtons and would feature on their Christmas card year after year.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...2906bd8d59!8m2!3d53.66183!4d-2.883037!6m1!1e1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom