Spa fourchamps BWK failure M113K

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ricky s

MB Enthusiast
Car
cars
Hi All, just today returned from Spa track day, awesome track, ran the route down, the day it self and a fast return trip though Belgium and France to the tunnel with 13 0f us, 8 of them forum members here, bringing a few exotic cars, on the return leg, suddenly lost power to my E55 approaching Calais. Upped the bonnet on the train, pics show whats happened!!

I have already logged here previously what a PITA this kit is, my car is well modified and this BWK has been the most troublesome item I have fitted to my car, not done the belts before, (the remains as seen in the pic), but currently on my forth set of bearings, I replaced the whole lot 2 months back with naci bearings, 2 no, to the left in the pics a are still good, the other, as pic just under the SC pulley, has totally collapsed, and the belt has disintegrated itself, very luckily for me with no other damage bar roughing up the OEM inner belt, which is still intact, but which I will now also replace. I will now ponder to removing the whole kit, and going without it, and accordingly advise others here, if considering this fitment, don't bother, just too much grief .:confused: happily, whilst the engine was burning rich, I ran home from Folkstone at a slow pace.;)

Attachments

• IMG_4983 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_4983 (800x600).jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_4988 (600x800).jpg
    IMG_4988 (600x800).jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_4989 (600x800).jpg
    IMG_4989 (600x800).jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 131
Looks like a bit of bad luck. Lucky it was nearly home and didn't spoil the trip. Lovely circuit, Spa. My favourite of all.

Good to hear you nursed it back home Ricky, even a shredded belt can't stop the mighty M113K!

I was at Spa in my M3, saw a few of the AMGs there - good to see them on track.

sorry to hear about this .. maybe a stronger belt?

hey Ricky, at least the trip was fun and damage was not worse.

the BWK puts a lot of strain on the belt, this was the reason I didn't go with one.

catch up soon

Bin it, never been a fan.......

Jules

Ricky, glad you had a good trip and sorry it ended this way but at least you and the car are still good to fight another day! :bannana::thumb:

the BWK puts a lot of strain on the belt, this was the reason I didn't go with one.
Pardon my ignorance, but belts will only fail if they are either run at incorrect tension, contaminated, run on misaligned pulleys or are underspecified for the load transmitted, so which one of these does the BWK kit do?

Thanks for all the advise and good wishes guys:thumb:, going to strip it all off on Sunday, something my lowly mechanical talents can actually do, if the wrecked pulley is not buckled, I will replace the collapsed bearing, and fit a new belt, with of which I have, hopefully all will be good. This whole thing has resulted from a collapsed bearing on one individual pulley, I don,t fully understand why this one bearing failed given the other three are still oK, I have never done a belt in 6 years previously, and I do go to track and Vmax events, very little use in general collect the papers useage, but have replaced 4 sets of bearings previously, which is a PITA maintenance wise, but I am lucky nothing else was destroyed in this instance, and it occurred at the later side of the little jolly out with the boys last weekend. If the pulley wheel is damaged beyond repair, it's all coming off, and will see how the car performs without the BWK, I expect probably OK, given a few individuals comments here and previously made, but given the money it cost originally, and the 6 years of use, bar bearings, has been semi OK, but will not purchase another set if this pulley is damaged beyond recovery:D.

Are you using a decent quality bearing to replace them? Have a chat with the guys at Redhill bearings about the bearing you are using and the problem you are having. They are very knowledgable and might have a stronger solution for you.

Yes, currently have Naci bearings, fitted, were very hard to find in these size's, more the disappointment that one failed.:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom