Space saver/Inflation kits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JohnJ

Car
R231 SL 350
Hello All

back in the Mercedes camp after a 3 year break - this time with an R231 SL 350, 8 years old and came with an aftermarket inflation kit, not the original one. Are any of these really any good? - I am aware that there are punctures they definately cannot help with, I just hate not having even a space saver. Taht being said I have bought 3 space savers in the past 8 years and never had to use one (lucky) - I guess it is a security thing. I think at a pinch I could squeeze a collapsable (uninflated?) space saver in the modest boot some of the time - but even then if I had occasion to use it I would never get my full size 19 incher in there anyway - so why bother,? and I knew this when I got the car anyway (love the car though!)

So does anyone know - are there any particularly 'good' ones out there in with a good chance of inflating a tyre with a typical nail in the tread type puncture ?
Thanks
John

I would have thought a pump is a pump so any 1 should do. Could you not try deflating 1 of your space savers if you still have them and try pumping it back up to see if it works unless I am missing something?

A TIREFIT kit and Mobilo cover are your only tools...

I bought a CPO W205 C300 a little over a year ago. Recently I've felt like my tires were out of balance so I took the car to a auto shop and asked them to balance them. Once they got the car up to take the wheels off they asked me where my wheel key was, I had no idea what that was and they said unless I get a key nobody can take the wheels off. 10.0.0.0.1
Does every new MB come with wheel locks, and should I have gotten a key when I bought the car? Or do they just need a MB specific tool they don't have so maybe I should be looking at a more specialized shop?

I use a Contimobility kit in my car and also have one in my van. They are brilliant bits of kit and can be bought cheaply on Ebay. The one I have in the car was bought unused off Ebay for £10.

I bought a CPO W205 C300 a little over a year ago. Recently I've felt like my tires were out of balance so I took the car to a auto shop and asked them to balance them. Once they got the car up to take the wheels off they asked me where my wheel key was, I had no idea what that was and they said unless I get a key nobody can take the wheels off. 10.0.0.0.1
Does every new MB come with wheel locks, and should I have gotten a key when I bought the car? Or do they just need a MB specific tool they don't have so maybe I should be looking at a more specialized shop?

In the UK anti-theft wheel bolts are fitted by the dealership before a car is sold - they don't come from the factory with them. No idea what happens in the US, but yes if you've bought a car fitted with anti-theft bolts it should have come with a key. This normally lives in a small plastic box along with the four standard bolts they replaced, and this is generally kept with the spare/jack/inflation kit/etc. in the back of the car.

If you really can't find the key then a dealership should be able to provide a replacement (they have 'master sets'). If they're aftermarket bolts (not MB) then you have more of a problem, although a tyre shop will probably be able to get them off for you (likely damaging them in the process).

I use a Contimobility kit in my car and also have one in my van. They are brilliant bits of kit and can be bought cheaply on Ebay. The one I have in the car was bought unused off Ebay for £10.
Thanks for that - it looks a good one on the video will give it a go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom