Space Savers maximum mileage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pespro

Car
C63 AMG
To cut a long story short, my car was keyed late last night and they also took my valve so the tyre was deflated. I drove around 2 miles with it and got home.

I asked the dealer what to do the next morning and they said ring MB breakdown which i did, guy came out, took the tyre off and said it looked fine but just to be sure take it to dealer. I did and it was shot, even went into the garage myself to look cause it was brand new and had only been used for a day i just didnt believe i needed a new one.

So Ive got the space saver on now and Merc cant source me a tyre until Wednesday. Thing is i travel about 30 miles a day round trip to work.
Would i be able to travel to work and back for two days so thats 60 miles and get the tyre fitted on Friday?

Pretty gutted as i had the two rears replaced this week and its only been on a day and needs replacing again.

Finally any ideas on what to do about the keyed paintwork? Cheers.

I've driven on space savers for days before and recently was overtaken on the motorway by a car that looked as if the space saver had been on some time.
I was only doing about 75mph, so I guess that was alright...

Yes, as everyone has said the space saver is fine for your 60 miles.

Why didn't you change your wheel when it was deflated...2 miles would destroy any tyre, let alone a low profile one like yours. You're lucky the wheel wasn't damaged.

Yes, as everyone has said the space saver is fine for your 60 miles.

Why didn't you change your wheel when it was deflated...2 miles would destroy any tyre, let alone a low profile one like yours. You're lucky the wheel wasn't damaged.

No-one can change a wheel any-more they HAVE to call the breakdown service...

I once couldn't be bothered,) (or the spare was flat), late at night and within a mile or so the tyre was just a mass of metal reinforcing bands flailing about.

Serious bummer there.

Why didn't you put the space saver on then and there? It would have saved your tyre.

How bad is the paint? Any pics to assess?

Don't let it get you down.

S

Driving on a flat tyre is a jolly good way of wrecking the wheel, not to mention visiting the scenery. That's why the spare comes with a jack and a set of tools.

Driving on a flat tyre is a jolly good way of wrecking the wheel, not to mention visiting the scenery. That's why the spare comes with a jack and a set of tools.

They are for peasants that can't afford C63's...or are jacks and tools a bit complicated...

Hi Pespro
sorry to hear about the damage to your car
its probably best to take it in to mercedes and get routed to their authorised bodyshop
to keep the warranty up to the mark
Not sure how bad it is - but mine was damaged last year just a small area
Mercedes touched it up FOC then have said come back later and they will do a proper job (obviously at a cost ) when convenient

the trouble with this sort of damage it can leave you a bit paranoid that it will happen again or you just leave it and generally feel a bit flat about the appearance of the car hey ho

Ive run a space saver for about 30 miles - didnt feel any different ! but thats probably a reflection on my driving rather than the slim jim

Last edited:
I agree with the sentiments regarding the keying, what possesses these people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom