Space Shuttle lift off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glojo

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 Sprinter 213CDI, & the new T-class
Whilst we are criticising the Americans, I salute them for going ahead with a launch of the Space Shuttle.

Due to lift off tomorrow evening.

John

Nasa Tv

Live coverage for the 12 days of the mission.
CLICK ME

Right click on image and use 'zoom to' to go full screen.
You may have to use Ctrl, Alt & Delete to return. ;)

Had a close look at the engines at Space Kennedy Centre 10 years ago.. looked like a plumber built them with all the pipes everywhere. perhaps they cut back on the tiler :rolleyes:

"Everything that we see at this point says that the orbiter is in fact a clean bird," NASA administrator Griffin ,told ABC's "Good Morning America"
Have you ever seen a "Griffin"!! :eek:

Now showing live coverage of 2 of them repairing loads of damaged tiles.
Not such a 'clean bird' after all :crazy:

GRAV888 said:
Now showing live coverage of 2 of them repairing loads of damaged tiles.
Not such a 'clean bird' after all :crazy:

Sad person that I am, I am watching this event.

If the operator is working from the boom that is attached to the Space Station, then this highlights a problem raised during the investigation.

If tiles come off from the underside of the space shuttle then astronauts cannot manage to reach them unless they are actually at the space station.

Columbia never had enough fuel onboard to get to this haven.

Just been reading about the replacement for the shuttle.

It looks like they are going back to the old Apollo type vehicle, but obviously in a much updated version. The rocket will either take a module capable of carrying humans, or 100 tons of cargo. This 100 tons of cargo could be a space vehicle capable of further exploration or travelling to the moon. The human capsule will re-enter the Earth's atmosphere and land by way of parachutes.

Fingers crossed that this third 'walk' will be successful.

John

glojo said:
Sad person that I am, I am watching this event.
Me too John. I'm watching on NASA TV; absolutely fascinating and amazing that we can watch what they're doing live with first class pictures :cool:

The best pictures I've seen though are ones taken from the ISS, looking down on the Shuttle as the Earth speeds past below them ... stunning!

Flyer said:
Me too John. I'm watching on NASA TV; absolutely fascinating and amazing that we can watch what they're doing live with first class pictures :cool:

The best pictures I've seen though are ones taken from the ISS, looking down on the Shuttle as the Earth speeds past below them ... stunning!

Me as well.
I'm hooked on it.
Are you guys watching it full screen?

Flyer said:

:) I'm going boss-eyed. I have one eye on Sky Active and the other on NASA TV. What brilliant pictures.

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

Have a nice day,
John

Hi Grav,
Yup, full screen

Morning John.
Do you have to press CTRL,ALT,DEL to reduce it too?
I have tried ESC, but that doesn't work.
Is not a problem, just curious.

GRAV888 said:
Morning John.
Do you have to press CTRL,ALT,DEL to reduce it too?
I have tried ESC, but that doesn't work.
Is not a problem, just curious.
I have it running in a small window on my CCTV monitor. I'm using the Windows Media Player option from Yahoo. I *think* the RealPlayer one goes full screen ...

Flyer said:
I have it running in a small window on my CCTV monitor. I'm using the Windows Media Player option from Yahoo. I *think* the RealPlayer one goes full screen ...
I'm using WMP too.
To go full screen, I right click on the image and use the 'zoom' function.
Is still remarkably clear.

GRAV888 said:
I'm using WMP too.
To go full screen, I right click on the image and use the 'zoom' function.
Is still remarkably clear.
Aah, sorry, I thought you didn't want full screen.

To toggle windowed/full screen, double click on the image :)

Flyer said:
Aah, sorry, I thought you didn't want full screen.

To toggle windowed/full screen, double click on the image :)

Woo Hoo.
Thanks mate.
You learn something new every day
Have a narna and a rep point. :bannana:

The views of the Earth are stunning and 'just' 220 miles away! It takes us five hours to travel the 270 miles to Lincolnshire, yet it took the shuttle over 24 hours to reach the Space Station. :rolleyes:

No doubt all the holiday makers and speed camera's caused terrible delays at the roadworks when leaving the atmosphere. ;)

The space shuttle had to get into orbit and then track the space station.

John

Last edited:
wallingd said:
Imagine - holiday traffic when moon trips are commonplace :D :O!
It make's you wonder were the blessed speed camaras will be put :D ,Because if there's a way to make you pay more, they will find a way. :crazy: (proberbly on the milky way) :rolleyes:

I have visions of the astronaut pulling on this 'filler' and they end up pulling yards of cabling out, and eventually the flight controls come out of the hole, as per the Road Runner type cartoons.... :) My silly sense of humour coming out on what is reallya very stressful time.

Am I right in thinking that this filler is usually just left 'dangling' on all previous missions? It sounds like it is used just to insulate the tiles during lift-off?

What fantastic pictures. The bloke sounds so 'cool', yet if his feet come away from the robotic arm he will be in really deep do do's.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom