SPACE X LAUNCH SUCCESS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
FOR ANYONE WHO MISSED IT. Warning a fair bit of American flag waving!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I was curious as to what the two cosmonauts must have been thinking as the entire “arrival” seemed to be saying ‘up you Boris, don’t need your 50 year old rockets any more now’. Bet they got their heads stuck into the Dragon ASAP Though.

I saw ISS go over a few nights ago, didn't even think to go out last night to see Space-X... :(

I really hope they get the return bit right. Going up always (certain exceptions of course) seems easier than coming down.

If I remember correctly, one crewed launch failed and one re-entry failed

I’ve always thought the thrust is required for escaping the gravity

It's confusing.

Escape velocity is the velocity you need to leave the earth with no further propulsion.

Note that velocity includes direction as well as speed.

How do you achieve that velocity? Well that involves thrust.

The '17000mph' or whatever number it is depends on altitude. Clearly 17000mph isn't enough because the ISS is orbiting. It hasn't escaped Earth's gravity. It is falling back to earth but is fast enough to keep missing it because the pesky earth is rounded. The 17000mph is its speed and not its velocity. (Its direction as it orbits - and therefore its velocity is continually changing.)

It's confusing.

Escape velocity is the velocity you need to leave the earth with no further propulsion.

Note that velocity includes direction as well as speed.

How do you achieve that velocity? Well that involves thrust.

The '17000mph' or whatever number it is depends on altitude. Clearly 17000mph isn't enough because the ISS is orbiting. It hasn't escaped Earth's gravity. It is falling back to earth but is fast enough to keep missing it because the pesky earth is rounded. The 17000mph is its speed and not its velocity. (Its direction as it orbits - and therefore its velocity is continually changing.)
Thanks Dryce. I.S.S. speed is 17,106 apparently. As you say just enough to keep it orbiting.

To misappropriate a line from Douglas Adams, orbiting is the art of falling back to earth and missing. :)

The Space X won't be back for a while.

Let's buy some gorilla suits and learn to ride a horse so that we can welcome them properly when they get back ?

eac87fdc35be1d4fa38516327e57da04058ca16d_00.jpg

Just a little blast from the past-2011- the orginal shuttle launch from high altitude.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom