Spain Speed Limit reduced to 50MPH.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donza

"Every time we lift our feet off the accelerator, we are improving GDP and employment," Industry Minister Miguel Sebastian told parliament as he outlined the 31 measures. "The era of cheap energy has passed."

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/afp/2008072...s-9eb7866.html

Is the country really that hard up?

What if this was to Happen in the UK? whats your opinion?

Me? I would be p!ssed off and i could not see myself sticking to it AT ALL.

The same thing happened in the UK in the 1970's when OPEC raised oil prices massively. 50mph speed limits; restrictions on maximum heating temperature in public buildings; etc. All the same sort of stuff. Once everyone got used to the new price everything reverted pretty much back to how it'd been before.

Oh, boo-hoo...this Government...yadda, yadda, yadda...blah, blah, blah.

Oh, this is abroad..:rolleyes: ;)

I've lived it, with our 55 imposed in the seventies. I hope it does not return. However, I am already seeing many green-edged cabbages driving much more slowly these days. In the passing lane, of course.

"Every time we lift our feet off the accelerator, we are improving GDP and employment," Industry Minister Miguel Sebastian told parliament as he outlined the 31 measures. "The era of cheap energy has passed."

It will be a failure just like the massive failure that is the variable speed limit on the M25.

The moron that decided to improve traffic flow we should slow it down is clearly deluded.

Don't think they are particularly hard up as they are continuing to buy British companies up left, right and centre.

I actually have a couple of freinds who are now driving at 50mph everywhere and reckon they are getting a third more miles out of a tankfull so it does work but shouldn't it be up to the individual at what speed they drive as long as it's legal. I don't think forcing people is the right way really.

The Spanish Government are attempting to reduce their balance of payments debt. Importing oil has made a huge hole in this deficit, so it seems sensible to do something to plug that hole.

What will be interesting will be to see whether the reduced limit has any effect on RTA/deaths/serious injury rates, and overall journey times and congestion.

There MAY be more benefits that initially thought, then again there may not.

The same thing happened in the UK in the 1970's when OPEC raised oil prices massively. 50mph speed limits; restrictions on maximum heating temperature in public buildings; etc. All the same sort of stuff. Once everyone got used to the new price everything reverted pretty much back to how it'd been before.

There was a fundamental difference in 1973, there was a real shortage of fuel as a result of the Arab Israeli war. I can remember the queues at petrol station and this issuing of fuel ration cards (fortunately the crisis ended before they actually had to be used).

People kept to the speed limit then because there was a genuine fear that if they ran out they would be unable to get any more fuel. Today there is no shortage of fuel it's just very expensive.

Long term we will have to face up to the fact that fossil fuels are a finite resource but the move in Spain is another example of politicians feeling they have to do something. We will soon see what the "Law of Unintended Consequences" effect is over there. Hopefully before the idea spreads.

There was a fundamental difference in 1973, there was a real shortage of fuel as a result of the Arab Israeli war. I can remember the queues at petrol station and this issuing of fuel ration cards (fortunately the crisis ended before they actually had to be used).
Yes, you're absolutely right.
DieselE said:
We will soon see what the "Law of Unintended Consequences" effect is over there. Hopefully before the idea spreads.
Agreed!!!

Just did a bit more digging on this story because I'm heading off on a motorcycle touring holiday in Spain in 4 weeks time and thought I'd better mug up on any new speed limits. Seems from this article that it's not a done deal at all, merely a proposal at this stage:
However the Minister for the Interior, Alfredo Pérez Rubalcaba has said lower speeds on the roads will only be introduced after an ‘agreed study’. The Interior Minister said that driving at 90kms/ hour did save 30% fuel compared to travelling at 120kms/ hour but any lower speed limits could only be introduced after a study was carried out. Rubalcaba also noted that correct tyre pressures could save 4% on fuel bills and claimed that driving with the windows open was 10% more expensive.

Since when did the Spanish take ANY notice of ANY motoring rule?
When was the last time you saw a Spanish motorbike rider wear a crash helmet let alone stick to the speed limit?

When was the last time you saw a Spanish motorbike rider wear a crash helmet let alone stick to the speed limit?

Probably last time I went to Spain..

Are you basing your comment on fact or opinion.?

Probably last time I went to Spain..

Are you basing your comment on fact or opinion.?

Fact. The last time I went to Spain, the only m/c riders who wore a crash helmet were those on superbikes fully geared up. Those that rode scooters and the like around towns - never.

Using less fuel generally will generate less government income from duty and tax. It will bite eventually until someone realises that if we just leave everything alone and leave it up to the individual we will all learn to make savings where we feel able.
What worries me is that increased prices in every sector will only widen the rich/poor divide which is likely to cause an increase in crime as those who 'don't have' feel it is there right to 'have' and so will likely just take from anyone who has.
End of rant.

Fact. The last time I went to Spain, the only m/c riders who wore a crash helmet were those on superbikes fully geared up. Those that rode scooters and the like around towns - never.

You are exactly right I have friends in Spain and I visit on a regular basis,the trouble with there helmet law is if they have a helmet with them but not wearing it they will just get a caution but if they do not have one with them it is a fine.

My daughter lives in Torrex which is a medium sized village they have a square where people meet and there is a police station there and the place is full of young kids on bikes without crash helmets but the police rarely take any notice.

Last edited:
It will be a failure just like the massive failure that is the variable speed limit on the M25.

The moron that decided to improve traffic flow we should slow it down is clearly deluded.

Are there new reports that state it's a failure? Only, the last report I read (albeit from 2004) stated it was a partial success on the M25 but other results were inconclusive. Yet, variable limits, from what I have read, work extremely well in other countries, where flow is increased and more vehicles fit into the network.

When living in Sweden I can remember the government lowering the motorway limits from 110km/h to 90km/h (68mph to 56mph) and it was driving people mad!

So much in fact the government gave in.

This happened in the 80ties and was not related to any oil crisis. Just some idiot who cooked this one up thinking it would lower the amount of people dying in traffic, about 700 a year. Mainly by hitting animals (elks & deer).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom