Spanish anti tourism protests

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I actually just read the attachment in post #14

Administrators please move it to the correct part of the forum.

The joke section.
But closing all ports and restricting all transport is reasonable.
Unless the climatologists need to attend a conference to decide how we shall all be saved.
Unless climate activists need to attend demonstrations, to save us.
Unless they need to build new science wings on universities.
Until we recognise that all these theorists have been allowed to talk from their anal aperture for tooooooo long.

With it happening in several countries, you could be forgiven for wondering if there's almost a movement to discourage international holiday travel.

They are right to focus on air travel which hasn't been sufficiently addressed but the extreme proposals will mean they are taken for cranks and no one will take any notice. Highlighting wasteful examples of air travel would have done their cause far more good in the short term.

To be fair while air travel like everything else has achieved substantial improved efficiency in terms of fuel use per passenger mile, the perception is that those miles are in many cases unnecessary. They may have a point in that regard, I'm already beginning to feel guilty about having two foreign holidays per year. There are worse examples than private individuals holidays though, I'm thinking for example the 83,884 people that attended COP 28, almost double the previous conference. The numbers are rising exponentially so by 2050 we will all be going. With examples of hypocrisy like that how are are we supposed to take this seriously.

Air travel will have to improve. Electric planes are out of the question for medium to long haul flights so the only realistic way forward for air travel to continue at it's present or higher rate is renewable synthetic fuel. Technology will get us there in time if not by 2050.

They may have a point in that regard, I'm already beginning to feel guilty about having two foreign holidays per year.
I see your point, but....

We take quite a few short-haul holidays each year (we choose not to go out a lot etc. when at home - prefer spending on holidays) In most cases, the flight costs are less than two nights or even one nights UK accommodation somewhere nice. The cost of a single decent meal in the UK would normally be as much as a meal for both of us abroad. Admission costs to tourist sites in the UK are ridiculous. Parking safely in a UK city is approaching stupid and the cost of fuel to even get there... I would love to use the train more, but it is too unreliable and/or cost effective now.

OK, I may be generalising, but you get my drift! (Note I have not mentioned the rain, rain and more rain.... as that is hardly a a matter of choice in UK)

We are off to Menorca next month , any issues then the Italians / French / Maltese / Portuguese will be getting our Euro`s next year.

K
Apparently Menorca, have for a few years, had the problem under control in as much as the amount of let’s in towns etc are limited and well regulated . The number of tourists is also regulated.
As regards the protests I’m minded to remember the early 80’s when the cleanliness of just about everything in the Spanish resorts wasn’t very good and the Brits stopped going, they sharp changed things when the tourists stopped coming.

Air travel will have to improve. Electric planes are out of the question for medium to long haul flights so the only realistic way forward for air travel to continue at it's present or higher rate is renewable synthetic fuel. Technology will get us there in time if not by 2050.
With synthetic fuel available - likely in limited quantity to begin with - where is it better used? Holidaying abroad for a fortnight or permitting all year round use of an ICE car when and where (or even by choice) EVs are unsuitable?

I was in Port Isaac In Cornwall couple of years ago where the comedy/drama TV programme Doc Martine was filmed, talking to a few of the locals I could sense that they were pretty fed up of the summer invasions of tourists. The house that was the doctors surgery even had to erect a railing fence to prevent folk from having their noses pressed against their lounge windows every day. But the traders were very keen unsurprisingly. Suppose its a blessing and a curse.

I was in Port Isaac In Cornwall couple of years ago where the comedy/drama TV programme Doc Martine was filmed, talking to a few of the locals I could sense that they were pretty fed up of the summer invasions of tourists. The house that was the doctors surgery even had to erect a railing fence to prevent folk from having their noses pressed against their lounge windows every day. But the traders were very keen unsurprisingly. Suppose its a blessing and a curse.
Nathan Outlaw’s fish restaurant at the top of the hill, opposite the hotel, is awesome.

With it happening in several countries, you could be forgiven for wondering if there's almost a movement to discourage international holiday travel.

Slight Post Deviation:

Ban Royalty trips with one or two aids in a empty Aircraft!:wallbash:

Ban PM trips with one or two aids in a empty Aircraft!:wallbash:

Ban Formula One!:wallbash: And two and three:

Ban single WAGS flying to Tournaments in multiple Aircraft!:wallbash:

Ban World Leaders flying to Conferences in hundreds of Aircraft when Video Conferencing could be utilised!:wallbash:

The List is Endless!:eek:

Soap Box put away! (For now)! :devil:

I think I need to quickly get a load of flying in to Barcelona, Prague, Magaluf, Albufeira, Benidorm, Amsterdam, Kavos, Ayia Napa, San Antonio, Riga and Marbella before all the airports close in the UK. Need to smash my CO2 emissions whilst I have the chance!

Looks on Skyscanner, books half a dozen of the cheapest flights from Stansted....

Spain is a very big place.
As always, those making the most noise and IMO they do have a point
re some resorts, these people do no have a business to run
We've all seen, read about our groups of lads/girls being totally pissed
and lying in the middle of the street.

Anti people from outside your area happen in the UK as well, we've had the torching of some holiday homes owned by people from
London in Wales. Cornwall has areas where people from outside the area buy a second home and only visit every so often. Locals are up
in arms re property being "too expensive."

We know have extra taxes in certain areas of the UK where councils charge a higher tax on a property owned by those living outside the area.

I've never been to Spain, would love to visit, but I have watched many tv shows re spain and especially Benedorm and YouTube videos re visiting Spain and areas almost taken over by Brtis, often the Brits are from the north. Most of the Brits cannot string a sentence in Spanish and have lived there for a a few years at least.

We've been to Flordia several times and Stay away from the Disney area often in Tampa Bay - not many Brits holiday there but there is a Town
near Disney/Florida called Kissimmee - we had a look around one evening - almost every person there was from England and the locals avoid it from what I saw - I may be wrong

I've always wanted to go to Barcelona for the sunshine and funnily enough, Benedorme but outside the school hols peak periods - but these protests have put me off

As in the UK and the rest of the world where locals protest against anyone and everyone outside the area, those that protest don't depend on tourists.
Cornwall, parking your car, I've seen a video where parking your car, locals may come up and tell you off.

Tourist taxes are the way forward

When we go on hols, we try to avoid the rush periods for food drink and if possible, avoid the hols periods.

To an extent I understand the Spanish feeling aggrieved that they have been priced out of their home towns if they are very popular with tourists, there is also the issue of badly behaved tourists in places like Magaluf.

I live in a UK tourist town and there is a fair bit of grumbling about the number of holiday let properties which are either rammed causing parking problems or empty out of season causing a lack of community feeling for the locals.
My issue with the season is with the restaurant owners who coin it in the Summer and then, when the tourists go home and the locals re-emerge, they close up for September because they are tired!

Apart from the Magaluf type scenarios though it's unfair to take it out on the tourists, they can go elsewhere and such towns as Barcelona would be lost without them.

For those worried about their Summer holidays I would suggest smaller resorts or, even, non resort holidays. We spent most of June in Northern Spain and didn't see any anti-tourist activity. Having said that we did drive past Barca twice but didn't stop.

I watch 'Homes in the sun@ or something like that. Lovely little towns with beaches and some towns have an even split of locals, Brits and often Germans and people from Begium - but the holiday homes do kill off little towns etc - I guess the solution is extra taxes for hol homes - if we were younger, I'd guess we've by a second home near the beach in Spain

How can anyone afford to buy second homes? According to the media there's a cost of living "crisis"!

Spain is a very big place.
It is and it’s very easy to get away from the chavs and have a wonderful holiday.
I've never been to Spain, would love to visit, but I have watched many tv shows re spain and especially Benedorm and YouTube videos re visiting Spain and areas almost taken over by Brtis, often the Brits are from the north. Most of the Brits cannot string a sentence in Spanish and have lived there for a a few years at least.
You need to do you homework because you can easily find some beautiful places.
We've been to Flordia several times and Stay away from the Disney area often in Tampa Bay - not many Brits holiday there but there is a Town
near Disney/Florida called Kissimmee
So you know how to do it in the States.
I've always wanted to go to Barcelona for the sunshine and funnily enough, Benedorme but outside the school hols peak periods - but these protests have put me off
Friend of ours retired to Benidorm 5 years ago and loves it there. Not heard about issues with the locals.

Me and my wife went in June last year to see her and had a great time.
It was exactly as we expected it to be.

Last year there was a 4 part tv show about a lady called Sarah Moore. She’s been coming to Skiathos since we was young and a couple of years ago decided to buy an old derelict house in an area of town where you don’t get many tourists.

The programme was actually quite good but now on all the Skiathos forums British tourists actually go looking for the house to take selfies outside.

Apparently she’s cool with it but I can’t see the neighbours putting up with it for long.

I’ve mentioned my feelings on the same forums and then get slagged off by members for being a miserable ****. 🤣🤣

@Darelli1

Yes, Benedome is a big place and night time life is a lot louder than day time.
There are almost 260k Brits living in Spain - like any country, you do have the nicer areas as well.
Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom