Spanish Car Hire Scam?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
I've been looking to hire a car in Spain for a week, only to find that most of the car hire companies are looking to charge for a full tank of fuel up-front... with the intention that I return the car empty.

Leaving aside the difficulty in returning the car empty, does anyone know what they charge for the first tank of fuel?

This is proving particularly challenging to find online!

M.

Part of me wants to hire the car under that policy, then sit in the parking lot revving the engine upon return until every last drop is used up...

Most hire car companies do this, if they give it to you with a full tank, you simply return it to them with a full tank when you've finished and there'll be no charge.

I used malagarcar when I travelled in the summer - no hassle and very reliable. Paid for full tank of fuel. It wasn't significantly more expensive than at the pump - maybe an extra 10 or 15 euro for a 60litre tank but all things considered it was pretty good value for money.

You may already plan to do this but decline all optional excess insurances and take out your own before you leave.

Top cars in Malaga are great.

We stacked a brand new Kia Picanto with 200 miles on the clock , not undrivable , but ****ed , and they were good as gold , new car the next day , no insurance worries , all for e15 a day !

Wouldn't hesitate to recommend them ( its the least i could do ! )

Most hire car companies do this, if they give it to you with a full tank, you simply return it to them with a full tank when you've finished and there'll be no charge.

No - that's what I'm used to doing.

In this case, they charge (based on reviews) around 99 euro for a full tank of fuel when you collect the car.

You then bring the car back with as little fuel as possible - if you bring it back with a full tank, you still don't get your 99 euros back - that's the part that bugs me.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2013/jun/22/car-hire-fuel-holidaymakers

That said, I would be ok with it if they were up front about how much they will charge you for that first tank. It's the not- knowing until you land that annoys me..

M.

Last edited:

No they don't. The more business focussed rental companis such as Hertz and Avis tend to do what you say, but many others charge up front for a full tank and you bring the car back empty.

If you don't read the T's & C's then return it with a full tank and you'll have paid for that fuel twice - argue all you like, they've got your credit card details. The policy is a pain for people renting for short periods and not driving very far (I think there's typically a minium of 4 days before it applies).

That said, I would be ok with it if they were up front about how much they will charge you for that first tank. It's the not- knowing until you land that annoys me..

I can't recall seeing comments that the amount charged is unreasonable compared to other local prices. I suppose they can't tell you upfront as they don't know exactly which car you'll be having, and therefore what its tank capacity is. And fuel prices can vary quite a bit.

I guess you should check that it shows full on the gauge.

Check the car over before you accept it, I've heard that it is not uncommon in Spain to be handed the keys to a car with bald tyres and other obvious defects making it illegal.

Russ

Indeed this is standard practice my folks have a place near Malaga and that's what they always have to do.

I have used malagacar.com about 4 times with no issue.

Very cheap in the winter when going skiing too.

Hope this helps

A lot of companies try this fuel scam. They are usually the ones that will try other scams as well.
Both of these companies are fine..
www.economycarhire.com
www.economycarrentals.co.uk

Scroll down until you see 'fair fuel policy' or 'no mandatory extras'
It's worth paying a few euros more for a full-full rental.

Check the car completely before you drive off and get them to mark all the extra damage, no matter how small, even if it means walking back to the desk.
When you return it make sure you get them to sign to say it's been checked and stay there until they cancel your deposit and give you the receipt. Some will try to stamp the paperwork and tell you everything's fine (the stamp usually says returned but not checked for damage, or similar) or they'll sign 'accidently' in the wrong box. You'll have a hell of a job if they take money off your card at a later date for damage when you're 1000 miles away.
The big names, in my experience, are the worst offenders.

Even the big hire car companies run this sort of scam in the Channel Islands. We went to Jersey for a long weekend, and rented a car from Europcar (who I use quite regularly as they're a reputable outfit). They said the car had half a tank in it, which I had to pay for, and that I should bring it back empty. I wasn't very happy about this..

The car was a diesel Fiesta, so probably good for about 600 miles on a full tank, and I was supposed to use half of this on an island 9 miles by 5 in 3 days?

We did drive round the island several times, and for the whole weekend I never went higher than second, much to my wife's annoyance. As we were driving back to the airport, the fuel light came on..:bannana:.

Cheers,

Gaz

I used www.DoYouSpain.com on a recent trip to Alicante. Never ever will I use them again. Total rip off.

Charged for a full tank of fuel which looked full but after driving about two miles noticed needle had already moved. So when I take the car back I ask for my money back on the unused fuel I left in the tank. Told I cant have it. So, they then re-sell that same fuel to the next punter.

Website claimed that the price was all-in including damage waiver etc. Get to the Record desk in Alicante only to be told there is an extra 130 euros to pay for damage waiver.

I am presently in discussions with them over the misleading sales tactics they use plus a refund under the DSR.

So in essence dont ever use Spain car hire with Non Inclusive Prices, Spain car hire with 0% Peace of Mind, Car hire in Spain with extra Hidden Costs! or Record rental in Spain unless you are happy to pay almost twice the advertised price.

Doyouspain certainly live up to their name. They will do you alright.

Last edited:
... and for the whole weekend I never went higher than second, much to my wife's annoyance.

that must have made for a nice, relaxing weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom