Spanish eBay seller requesting id document

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MD5

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
wme451 a124 r129 s211 r230
Received this message today having been told item was despatched yesterday "We need identification document to issue invoice, we are in a hurry." It's a £200 car accessory.

What would they need that they can't get from my ebay user account?

Sounds odd.... hmm... I would think twice before sending a photocopy of any ID documents to them. And clearly you are thinking twice, too :)

Sounds odd.... hmm... I would think twice before sending a photocopy of any ID documents to them. And clearly you are thinking twice, too :)
Quite so, Mark. I wondered if anything was needed for EU regs since covid, but they have my name and address which should be adequate

Is it because it’s above the £135 import duty threshold price ??

Is it because it’s above the £135 import duty threshold price ??
What other info would they need other than name and address?

Because it is above the £135 threshold and will be exported free of VAT (chargeable in UK) they may wish to have proof of sale outside EU. I cannot think of any other reason.

Last edited:
I would have done before, but I was at an eye screening clinic. I've just had eye drops to dilate my pupils and was struggling with google translate etc on my phone!

I know the feeling :(

Hope you didn't drive there.... :D

Because it is above the £135 threshold and will be exported free of VAT (chargeable in UK) they may wish to have proof of sale outside EU. I cannot think of any other reason.

Possibly, though surely the delivery address is sufficient as poof where the item was shipped to?

Also, I shipped a laptop to the private individual in Germany, UPS sent the recipient a link for VAT payment online and then delivered it - no ID was requested at any time.

Received this message today having been told item was despatched yesterday "We need identification document to issue invoice, we are in a hurry." It's a £200 car accessory.

What would they need that they can't get from my ebay user account?
I'd ask eBay to confirm that this is necessary. If the item has already been despatched, I'd wait til you receive it before giving out any further info. I've had a small number of messages on Ebay from suppliers abroad, asking me to email further info, after items have been sent. I've ignored these and nothing has happened. I've always thought that these were simply an attempt to get and do something with your email address, or get you to click on a link they provide which is always dodgy.

Also, I shipped a laptop to the private individual in Germany, UPS sent the recipient a link for VAT payment online and then delivered it - no ID was requested at any time.
Well, we (she) managed to navigate the Smart back home - you'd think it was a juggernaut, her spatial awareness is not her strong point!

Back on the laptop now and had this reply: "Sorry, I didn't explain well. To issue a purchase invoice in your name for VAT issues, I need your company or individual VAT number. Just the number, nothing more." I know since Bre*it regs have changed, and I don't want to be unfair to the seller or lose the item, but I don't know what issues he might be facing at the moment.

Possibly, though surely the delivery address is sufficient as poof where the item was shipped to?

The treatment of VAT under the agreement is quite perplexing. AIUI, unless goods are new and exported VAT free by a VAT registered trader, used good already VAT paid in the UK or EU are again subject to VAT on importation. This may not be significant on many items but for used cars, for example, it is. In the past I've bought several LHD cars in UK for import into LT but probably not in the future unless it is VAT qualifying and there aren't many of those about.

I do wonder if double VAT taxation was intended or an oversight in the TCA.

I've ordered items above £200 from Europeand they do not need ID. Re the import tax, it is the courier company that will contact you at the UK end to pay the tax plus the customs handling charge before releasing the item.

I would have done before, but I was at an eye screening clinic. I've just had eye drops to dilate my pupils and was struggling with google translate etc on my phone!
Seems like we all have eye problems..I'm heading for cataract surgery..lol. unless you are happy with the justification, I wouldn't be giving him any more information.

Seems like we all have eye problems..I'm heading for cataract surgery..lol. unless you are happy with the justification, I wouldn't be giving him any more information.
I told him it was a personal, not business transaction and had no number to offer that may help. He replied that it was so that he could issue an invoice, which I don't need.

Hopefully my eyes are fine, I just had to go for an annual diabetic screening. Good luck with your op.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom