Spanner Torx or Hek, engine confusion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

superhandsjeff

Hi,
I have been searching and searching the forum to try to establish what specific tools i need:
Basically I have been told conflicting advice and feel confused.
I do not have a service book, or work book. do mercedes have these?

I have a class w203, diesel 2002 coupe.
I think the engine cover is a Torque or Torx ( not sure if these are the same tools)? if someone could clarify this?

also, the Air Filter seems to be a Star / Hex? if so would anyone happen to know the size?

im really sorry if there is a link on the site to tools we need and Torque settings, to be frank i just couldnt find it.

if there isnt would anyone know the precise tools for engine work along with the appropriate torque settings.

thanks you

Jeff

Hi there, maybe to clear up your confusion albeit a little. The tools you talk about are torx bits. They are usually of a star shape as opposed to a hexagon which is commonly found on most nuts. However, the fitting you need to take the engine cover off is an alan key though I cant remember what size. The oil filter (if it is the same on the diesel) is a standard size available from halfords for about a fiver. It should have the torque (the amount of tightness) setting written on the oil filter cover (i.e. the bit that you're looking to take off).

Hi there, maybe to clear up your confusion albeit a little. The tools you talk about are torx bits. They are usually of a star shape as opposed to a hexagon which is commonly found on most nuts. However, the fitting you need to take the engine cover off is an alan key though I cant remember what size. The oil filter (if it is the same on the diesel) is a standard size available from halfords for about a fiver. It should have the torque (the amount of tightness) setting written on the oil filter cover (i.e. the bit that you're looking to take off).

hi thank you for your reply,
the engine cover seems to be Torx opposed to alan key, ( or was you suggesting that i use a Torx alan key)?

thanks Jeff

If you can upload a pic of the nuts you wish to remove and any others which you are unsure of. 1 look and we can tell you exactly what they are and what you need to get.

Torque and Torx are 2 completely different things. Torque is a resistance which bolts need to be tightened to. Torx is a style of bolt head :)

I don't have a diesel, but I think you'll need T25 Torx. T20 and T25 cover most of the small 5mm and 6mm fasteners. They are essentially instead of allen screws. Get yourself a nice set of torx keys from the like of Bondus, as you'll be using them a lot for DIY tasks. Halfords professional stuff I've found very good. They do a nice 1/4" drive socket set, with some interchangeable torx bits that will serve you well for a lot of the small tasks you need.

* Allen Key

accidently posted it 3 times whilst attempting to upload a picture

Last edited:
hi and thank you for your replies.
i hope the picture adds

torx.jpg
[/IMG]
in the picture are 2 visible Air Filter Housing Nuts / Heks or Torxs. as you can see they are the closed type, ( not the open type that is on the engine cover for most w203 )

are these both torx? if so its awfully confusing as i cannot find my type anywhere,. ( i have the torx set for the engine cover )

This is what you need, and a 3/8" driver to go with them.

Like others have said, the Halfords Professional range are decent tools.

''Female "Torx" Socket Set 3/8"

after three phone calls / various website searches / mercedes miss information from a Independent! we have it.~!! haha wonderful news.

so on my W203, c class 2002 diesel couple. i have a Female ( air filter housing ) and a male for the removal for the engine cover.

thank you all so so much, and enjoy the rain on this rather dark sunday.

gracias, thank you, and tak for det ( danish )

Jeff

Yeah they are Torx screws. You need a female Torx socket set.
I got a set from halfords this week for £15. They are 3/8" size.
They are numbered E6-E16. I think those screws will be E12

Yeah they are Torx screws. You need a female Torx socket set.
I got a set from halfords this week for £15. They are 3/8" size.
They are numbered E6-E16. I think those screws will be E12

thanks Jay, do they come with a driver, or a Ratchet?

No it doesn't come with a ratchet but you can pick up a small 3/8" socket set with ratchet and extension bar for bout £20 from halfords. It's a basic set but with the Torx set you will have a good starting point. Just go in store and have a look at the sets they have. The halfords advance stuff is good and also boasts a lifetime guarantee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom