Spare ECU, whats involved?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John Jones Jr

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mazda MX5 10AE, W201 2.5-16, W202 230K Sport man, Honda Accord & Suzuki 'Ricer'.
Guys, as per the title.

I want a spare (used) ECU for my W202 to so it can be mapped by different company from my current one, just as an experiment. So, what's actually involved prior to having it remapped?

Obviously it will need to be unlocked but can it be recoded so that it operates as per the original with the immobiliser fully operational? Is there anything else I'll need to do?

Cheers,

Last edited:
Not such Simon, there's a few online that offer the service.

Guys, as per the title.

Obviously it will need to be unlocked but can it be recoded so that it operates as per the original with the immobiliser fully operational? Is there anything else I'll need to do?

Cheers,

Not sure about the W202 specifically, but there is a function in the STAR developer mode to copy the configurations of an ECU onto another ECU. Not sure if doing this in developer's mode will override the previous coding on a used ECU?

On another automotive forum, forum users over there reckons that Vediamo is more powerful than STAR in Developer's mode and might be easier to 'vigin' an ECU using this software.

Not sure about the W202 specifically, but there is a function in the STAR developer mode to copy the configurations of an ECU onto another ECU. Not sure if doing this in developer's mode will override the previous coding on a used ECU?

On another automotive forum, forum users over there reckons that Vediamo is more powerful than STAR in Developer's mode and might be easier to 'vigin' an ECU using this software.

Vediamo is not a toy to play with. It works at a very low level with no indication of what your doing. Essentially you load a configuration file for a control unit, edit the config data and save. At least SDS lets you know what sections your editing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom