Spare Key...The Conclusion?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alanlincs

Car
CLK 320 Elegance auto Cabriolet AMG
For anyone that read my original thread regarding my problems getting a spare key...well....I eventually received my key on Thursday..exactly 2 months after ordering and paying £215 for one..without repeating the circumstances..I found myself dealing direct with HQ at Milton Keynes Customer Services.....who on receipt of a letter from the Police confirming they had no interest in the vehicle where my new remote parts had come from...they contacted Germany who eventually gave the 'thumbs up' for the order of a key ...and Bingo...it worked and I am at last a very happy man in the knowledge that if ever I lose my key I now have a spare...yahhhoooo ! ;)

Good result , and a rare victory for commonsense .

Now , we just need to get the price of keys down to a more sensible level , after all , what is the COST price of a piece of machine-cut metal and a plastic fob containing a tiny circuit board ?

Hi, I ordered a spare key for my C220 last Saturday and picked it up today, 140 quid...

For a W202? MB have quoted me £215 as well for a new key. :eek: A few months ago it was only £150
Yep, my old W202! £215? It just gets worse doesn't it?:( Forgot to mention, I don't have the transponder type key? But I do have a after market immobiliser!

Last edited:
I was paying about £11 per key for various cars (W123.W124.W201 and a few others) for many years ; when I ordered a couple of keys for my W126 recently I was shocked to find they wanted £22 each for 'simple' mechanical keys .

Still prefer a cut-to-number key as opposed to a cut-from-old-worn-key at the shoe repair shops .

Good result , and a rare victory for commonsense .

Now , we just need to get the price of keys down to a more sensible level , after all , what is the COST price of a piece of machine-cut metal and a plastic fob containing a tiny circuit board ?

And the cost of the supply chain and keeping the supply process secure?

Obtaining keys for another manufacturer's cars, their dealers charge an hours labour in addition to the cost of the key part - brings it to nearly the same as the MB price.

And the cost of the supply chain and keeping the supply process secure?

Obtaining keys for another manufacturer's cars, their dealers charge an hours labour in addition to the cost of the key part - brings it to nearly the same as the MB price.
It was £37 back in 2003 so nearly 500% increase in price, their costs must have gone up quite a bit if that's all they're covering!

It would indeed be interesting to know why the keys are so expensive. I saw a summary of the parts that go into the I-phone the other day..... costs Apple around £120 in parts for the whole phone...

It would indeed be interesting to know why the keys are so expensive. I saw a summary of the parts that go into the I-phone the other day..... costs Apple around £120 in parts for the whole phone...

How much do you think it would cost to have one of the main circuits replaced for the iPhone, including the labour to code it in (exclude the HW related work as the MB key does not involve any).

I don't think that would be a fair comparison since you don't buy parts for the key either. You buy a whole new key. I was just trying to put things in perspective. I assume there are more parts that go in a phone than a key..

For anyone that read my original thread regarding my problems getting a spare key...well....I eventually received my key on Thursday..exactly 2 months after ordering and paying £215 for one..without repeating the circumstances..I found myself dealing direct with HQ at Milton Keynes Customer Services.....who on receipt of a letter from the Police confirming they had no interest in the vehicle where my new remote parts had come from...they contacted Germany who eventually gave the 'thumbs up' for the order of a key ...and Bingo...it worked and I am at last a very happy man in the knowledge that if ever I lose my key I now have a spare...yahhhoooo ! ;)
I double dare you to try and order another key :)

Nice result

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom