Spare key

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan2014

I’ve put a deposit on a 15 reg c300h and the dealer only has one key

Any idea of the cost to get another one made ?

Tia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a new key programmed by non MB works perfectly. Cost £150.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
I also agree with the above. Dealer should be supplying second key.

Last edited:

Tia

Insist on a second key supplied by the dealer as part of the sale.

Tia

Make it a condition of the sale . Or walk away .

Thanks guys

Don’t want to lose the deal tbh I’ve got a good deal and for the sake of around £200

It's up to you, but good deal or not, a supplying dealer should provide 2 keys.
It can't hurt to ask them.

If the replacement key is ordered from an MB dealer, then they should also disable the lost key by deleting it from the car's ECU.

Tia

I would insist you have 2 keys. Theft insurance could be invalid without a spare. I had a car stolen and they said if I couldn’t provide a spare they would not pay. They said lack of a key meant I could have left the key in car or given it to someone else. If you want to go ahead without I would get a letter confirming the spare was not available and that the other key had been disabled

If the replacement key is ordered from an MB dealer, then they should also disable the lost key by deleting it from the car's ECU.
That still doesn't stop someone with the other key from inserting it into the lock and opening it manually - it only disables the fob part .

Someone could still open your car and steal contents .

Oh , BTW , why just two keys ?

My cars came with two master keys , a valet key and a skeleton key .

Well no idea where you live Dan but there are a few places that can produce a key for you and remove the key that is missing from the cars ECU,one that a lot of guys on here have used is in Birmingham,but there are a couple in London,or use MB and the cost is around £240,as some have posted ,it is a bad that the dealer has not provided a second key,it gets you wondering just how a 15 reg car has lost a key,was it a snatch back,thats the most common way for a non damaged car to lose a key,when the dealer bought that car you can bet they reduced the price offered because of only one key,still if you are happy with the car buy enjoy it and buy another key.

Im fairly sure Mercedes can delete keys registered so if the “missing” one should appear it cant be used.
May be worth asking?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Im fairly sure Mercedes can delete keys registered so if the “missing” one should appear it cant be used.
May be worth asking?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
They can indeed 'delete' the electronic part so the fob won't work ; but they can't delete the mechanical part which can still be put into a lock and turned to open the car !

I’m sure people have lost all types of keys over the years, both old fashioned ones and electronic. If they’d ordered another spare you’d be none the wiser.

Regards the lost key and someone else having access (using the blade part or electronic fob), surely anyone could have an additional key made/ordered even if both original keys were present? The blade part only could be sourced quite cheaply and not necessarily from MB either (if the 2015 C-class is like most other MBs of recent times!)

Having two keys is no guarantee that someone else hasn’t got one! ;)

And having just one supplied doesn’t mean the other one is still out there, quite often keys are lost/damaged/destroyed so not necessarily in someone’s coat/desk drawer etc...

Thanks for all the reply’s guys !

Just to update I did get two keys with the car!

I bought the car from a car supermarket and they couldn’t guarantee there was two keys with the car as they didn’t have all the documents and paperwork at there disposal at the time as the car was new stock to them I was told

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom