Spare Mercedes Key

Have you ordered a spare Mercedes Key for your car?

• Yes - ordered spare key(s) from a Main MB Dealership

Votes: 21 32.3%
  • Yes - ordered spare key(s) from a non-MB Dealership

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • No - never needed to order a spare key for my car

Votes: 36 55.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good to be aware and take precautions, but if you’re driving a second hand car with two keys how do you know the previous owner didn’t get a spare key made before they sold it on? You would have absolutely no idea and they would most likely have your address if you have transferred the V5 into where the car is being kept... :doh:

Happened to an acquaintance of mine some years ago . Bought a BMW M5 cabriolet from someone in Birmingham, it was not a cheap car . I think about a week later it disappeared in broad daylight from the pub driveway a 100 miles away (where he was landlord), turns out he only been given one key upon purchase . The response from the police was one of 'heard this one before' . He was given a crime number and heard nothing more.
I guess there’s plenty of cars out there that have been sold with only one key, typically if you order a replacement for a Mercedes you can block the missing keys at a dealer - but if you’ve got two keys already, how many people would ever check?

And in the day/age where cars are stolen every day via keyless relay theft I doubt the police take any particular interest in a car stolen ‘without keys’ - just a few quick notes and possibly a crime reference number for the insurance...

The point I was making, is that a replacement key company wouldn’t be around for very long if they were stealing cars without the keys after making spare keys for them, would they? :)

You can check how many keys have been authorised to be used by the car and any you cannot vouch for can be removed
Yes that is correct, but as mentioned - if you’re buying a used car with both keys, how many people would ever check? I suspect the vast majority would never give that a thought - and there must thousands if not tens of thousands of used MBs sold every year.

One of my keys is the original 'chrome' metal type and the other one is an obviously newer black plastic one. What did it come with when new 15 years ago ? how many other keys once lost now found are there in existence ? No idea BUT I did inherit a Land Rover key with the car , I found it jammed in a space underneath the rear load tray a few months ago. Obviously been there for years !

I'm not concerned that it would presumably be possible to make a third key without my knowing anything about it; firstly, a seventeen-year-old E class is not exactly a prime target for theft, and secondly, if there was a rash of car thefts possibly involving cloned keys where one company was a common factor, I think the police might notice that.
I’m not sure there’s such a huge market out there for professional car key companies stealing cars after making new keys for customers.

I mean, if this was such a thing it wouldn’t take long to put 2&2 together...key made by key company, car stolen without key afterwards - not exactly the smartest scam in the book, is it?
I think you miss my point on this. Like you, I am not that worried about the said company making additional keys to steal my car. But the fact remains is that once the hash-keys are extracted from the EIS, anyone can make a clone of any of the 10 permitted keys (if one doesn't work because it has been blocked, simply move on to the next key). I am not convinced that the mobile key engineer would delete the hash-table after cloning your keys and as such this poses a risk should someone hack the computer. I simply wouldn't want to live with this risk on my pride and joy.

Additionally, as mentioned, some of these companies using the older kit will remove the EIS to desolder a chip so that the hash table can be read using an EPROM programmer. Typically these companies take upwards of an hour to clone the keys - those using an IR key to read the EIS can typically clone the keys in minutes. I would not under any circumstances want my EIS to be removed and fiddled around with. The EIS is quite fragile at the best of times without someone fiddling with it.

I don't miss your point at all. The car is a seventeen-year-old E class, and by no means a low-mileage mint example; realistically, who do you think would be even remotely interested in stealing it? THe risk is effectively nil.

I've had keys made twice now, both times with the EIS removed, and had no problems. Maybe I've just been lucky so far.

I don't miss your point at all. The car is a seventeen-year-old E class, and by no means a low-mileage mint example; realistically, who do you think would be even remotely interested in stealing it? THe risk is effectively nil.

I've had keys made twice now, both times with the EIS removed, and had no problems. Maybe I've just been lucky so far.
Or pragmatic and sensible?

When I got my S211 in 2013, it only had one key. I checked out the cloners, but was...not happy. Eventually got one ordered via my local indy, and it was direct from MB in Germany. Just over £200 at the time.
The original key I had was an old assymetric type, the additional was the standard black plastic. The 211 having gone to heaven, I now have an S204 with the shiny keys, two of 'em, so nothing needed. Except possibly engine mounts...
:(

I had a key repair done, and had the key returned to a work address. No so concerned about the repairer as the unknown courier with a key to the car on the drive.

Just had a spare key done for my W212. Price £160, including VAT. Remote control and blade.

Looks exactly the same as the other usual "chrome" edged MB key.

They know their stuff, had a professional approach, and operate out of a triple fronted workshop in South Norwood. They also offer a mobile fitting service as well. They do all brands.

Recommended, but not for new / expensive / exotica, for obvious reasons.

Car Key Replacement | Car Keys Solutions

NOT Merc.....but I have only ever had one key for my 159....so I'm always a bit nervous about losing it of it failing electronically.
Into the dealer I go.

"How much for a new key for my ALFA 159 Mr Spareparts Man?"
"We have to send all your car details to Italy, they check their records and make a key to match your ECU....except it doesn't"
"Sorry".
"It wont work until we get it here with your car and the other key, put it on the system and program the new key to match the old"
"If I supply a used key body and get a blade copied, can you reprogram that?"
"No, they are one use only and we can only program virgin keys"....(this is true.....I researched a lot to see if this was main dealer BS or not!)"
"OK...so how much is that?"
"Including VAT that's £504 ....and a months wait!"

.....I still have just one key!!!

Just had a spare key done for my W212. Price £160, including VAT. Remote control and blade.

Looks exactly the same as the other usual "chrome" edged MB key.

They know their stuff, had a professional approach, and operate out of a triple fronted workshop in South Norwood. They also offer a mobile fitting service as well. They do all brands.

Recommended, but not for new / expensive / exotica, for obvious reasons.

Car Key Replacement | Car Keys Solutions

First time round I had a dealer cut a key for one of my C43's. It was a faff and I couldn't be bothered going through all that rigmarole again.

The second time, I'd driven Bordeaux in my 211 with one key and my daughter had dropped it the pool. When I got back, I used Replacement Mercedes Keys. They were great.

I'm off to Bordeaux again soon and the ReplacementMercedesKeys mobile service doesn't cover the newer 212 key type. I came across Car Key Solutions. I recently used their North London branch and I thought they were very good.

My C63 came with only one key. I thought it was a bit steep (£200+) to get another one so went without for the first 9 months of ownership. Then one day I locked my one and only key in the boot (came out of a place, chucked coat (inc key) in boot and slammed it shut). The locksmith call-out (on a Sunday) taught me a valuable lesson.

My C63 came with only one key. I thought it was a bit steep (£200+) to get another one so went without for the first 9 months of ownership. Then one day I locked my one and only key in the boot (came out of a place, chucked coat (inc key) in boot and slammed it shut). The locksmith call-out (on a Sunday) taught me a valuable lesson.

Just wondering out of interest, what year is your car? I’ve lost the keys for my Mercedes gle and I’m struggling

All locksmiths say it’s new too new to replace. The problem is, the car belonged to my stepdad

He’s moved to Spain and completely lost the v5c so main dealer can’t verify ownership of the car

Is there anyone here who can help. There must be a locksmith somewhere who can make 15-17 plate Mercedes keys

Just wondering out of interest, what year is your car? I’ve lost the keys for my Mercedes gle and I’m struggling

All locksmiths say it’s new too new to replace. The problem is, the car belonged to my stepdad

He’s moved to Spain and completely lost the v5c so main dealer can’t verify ownership of the car

Is there anyone here who can help. There must be a locksmith somewhere who can make 15-17 plate Mercedes keys
Without verifiable proof of ownership.? 🤔

Apply for the new V5, it costs around £25

Without verifiable proof of ownership.? 🤔

Apply for the new V5, it costs around £25

I applied for the v5 and they sent a letter asking for photos - however, I need to be inside the car to take some of the photos they require

It’s a real pain because I’ve explained this all to Mercedes but they won’t budge and I really need my car back

I applied for the v5 and they sent a letter asking for photos - however, I need to be inside the car to take some of the photos they require

It’s a real pain because I’ve explained this all to Mercedes but they won’t budge and I really need my car back
What photos do they need?

Where is it?

Where is it?
On the inside of the door and under the seat apparently - anyone ever had this issue?

Looking for flexible Mercedes dealer or a locksmith who can make 15 plate car keys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom