Spare Petrol Can

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Friends

Daughter got caught in horrific jams home last night. A 30 minute commute took 3 hours and saw her sucking up petrol fumes.

My understanding is that spare petrol cans are not for carrying fuel in them. Rather for filling in the event you run out? This is down to H&S perfectly sensible rules around fumes, fire risk etc.

Having hD in many occasions used Jerry Cans & Plastic cans for the garden kit, I can testify to the fumes.

Does anybody know of a non-fuming safety tank that can be placed in the boot cubby?

No need for sermons on always fill before leaving. Or buy a diesel/electric.

This is a Toyota Aygo that can Average over 60 MPG.

Rangiety is here and at 18 years old in your first car watching the tank drain while stuck solid on the M20 A249 is not funny.

So. A safe non metal (I believe is required) non-smelly no vapours that fits in the spare wheel cubby?

Thank you

Bruce

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a sermon and no need to fill the tank but an 18 year old does need to learn that if you're using a motorway in the rush hour you need to start out with enough fuel to allow for contingencies like delays/diversions. And if you're stuck solid then turning the engine off will stop the tank from draining. Carrying petrol in the boot will always have some element of - unnecessary - risk IMHO.

It is not illegal though (for now) so whatever floats your boat.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I carry a 5 litre spare fuel plastic can for my outboard and the journey used to be a smelly one.
I now carry all the inflatable kit whithin and larger clip down box and that's solved it.

Fuel tanks designed for marine use would do it.
A 'real' filler cap that seals, with a vent for when feeding an outboard.
And a plug on valve set up.
Trouble is they're larger and expensive, cheapest at £40+.

I've looked for a smaller, and safe, fuel tank that I can carry in my inflatable tender and not found one yet.
I tried a s/s thermos but the rubber seals expand and become useless.

There are military style Jerry cans that look to have respectable filler caps, but they are upright types so would need supporting. I guess in theory they 'should' be alright lay down but I wouldn't be happy leaving one that way.

Not a sermon and no need to fill the tank but an 18 year old does need to learn that if you're using a motorway in the rush hour you need to start out with enough fuel to allow for contingencies like delays/diversions. And if you're stuck solid then turning the engine off will stop the tank from draining. Carrying petrol in the boot will always have some element of - unnecessary - risk IMHO.

Yes. She does know and is very aware. She is also a very level headed 18 year old. But I’m a cautious 62 year old who has been driving at all levels since I was 17. I pass on my pride in my driving. Something that was partially reflected in her passing both test first time and not just passing for passings sake. Also her choice of car, and it was her choice assisted by many in here a Seven month old Toyota Zaygo.

But I can still run out of fuel. So can she, when an unrealistic 30 minute commute turns into an extended (Burst Mains Water pipe under the M20 Slip) this completely blocked the entrance road to our house.

I’m maybe planning the unplannable and her remaining fuel looked okay. An Aygo will average 60+ MPG.

I just want to cover all bases[emoji1782]

Standard 5 litre red plastic jobbie with the cap screwed hard down works for me for transporting fuel home for the strimmers and the likes. Took at as back up in last summer's heat wave (A9 to Perth and back) where it sat in the car all day including parked in the baking sun and not a whiff of fumes.
When I say 'screwed hard down' I really do mean it! Can make cap removal difficult so maybe worth having something in the car to help give purchase if it has to be used.
Whatever you use - remember a funnel if the can doesn't have a spout and either will smell for a while after use.

Another little after thought is fuel tratment for the fuel that is designed to sit unused for long periods.
I'm using this for my marine use petrol.
Genuine Briggs & Stratton Fuel Fit 250ml 992381 Stabiliser Keeps Petrol Fresh 798256131028 | eBay

A reasonable strategy would be to empty the spare can into the car every couple of years or so and refill the can with fresh treated petrol.

Anyone considering carrying spare diesel would be advised to look up 'diesel bug'.
It is a big issue for marine engines, the bug enjoys eating modern diesel and then craps the contamination into the stored fuel. The contamination if and when it finds its way to the fuel filter will block it. Many vessels then need rescue.
Marine 16 is popular to prevent that.
The likes of us in cars should never experience this as it's stored diesel that has the isuue.

This week I removed my yacht fuel tank and ditched 10 litres of contaminated diesel. I think it has been treated before my ownership and the contamination is historical, but for £13 it's not worth chancing filtering the diesel and using anywhere.
On Sunday I'm removing the fuel lines and filter (filter new last year), they're getting ditched as well, even though I know the bug thrives at the diesel / water layer within the tank.

I think in Germany its a legal requirement to carry spare fuel as its illegal to run out on the autobahn.
Running out of fuel is a human error and can therefore be avoided.
Can't beat the logic in that. Typical German efficiency.

I think in Germany its a legal requirement to carry spare fuel as its illegal to run out on the autobahn.
Running out of fuel is a human error and can therefore be avoided.
Can't beat the logic in that. Typical German efficiency.

I've been to Germany many times (my wife is German), and have never heard that before. I'd be surprised if it were true - I would expect German cars to have specific provision for a container if it was?

Yes stopping at the side of a busy road and mucking about with petrol is not exactly safe!

Totally understand that you don't want to see her stranded. But running out of fuel is completely avoidable - I've never done it in 42 years of driving, and I can't think of anyone I know who ever has. It's far, far more likely that she'd have a puncture or break down - presumably she has AA/RAC/etc. membership? If so they would bring her some fuel anyway. Much safer than permanently carrying fuel around in the boot, just in case.

Yes. She does know and is very aware. She is also a very level headed 18 year old. But I’m a cautious 62 year old who has been driving at all levels since I was 17. I pass on my pride in my driving. Something that was partially reflected in her passing both test first time and not just passing for passings sake. Also her choice of car, and it was her choice assisted by many in here a Seven month old Toyota Zaygo.

But I can still run out of fuel. So can she, when an unrealistic 30 minute commute turns into an extended (Burst Mains Water pipe under the M20 Slip) this completely blocked the entrance road to our house.

I’m maybe planning the unplannable and her remaining fuel looked okay. An Aygo will average 60+ MPG.

Perhaps it would be better to get her into the routine of checking her fuel before driving off or, top up every Sunday or something like that.

Top up on Sunday......@60mpg in a 35l tank (say 7 gal useful and rest reserve) = 420 miles / week. How long is her commute?

My wife and I are opposite - when her tank hits 3/4 she fills it (always carrying a load of extra weight). I used tend to run it to the reserve light ;-). now I top up when it is about a 1/4 for day to day and fill up up every day when I'm touring.

Surprise
I've been to Germany many times (my wife is German), and have never heard that before. I'd be surprised if it were true - I would expect German cars to have specific provision for a container if it was?
It is illegal to run out of gas on theAutobahn according to the GermanStVO (Straßenverkehrsordnung) which is the road traffic regulations in Germany. The fine can be from €30 up to €70 depending on the case.18 Oct 2016

Last edited:
It

It is illegal to run out of gas on theAutobahn according to the GermanStVO (Straßenverkehrsordnung) which is the road traffic regulations in Germany. The fine can be from €30 up to €70 depending on the case.18 Oct 2016

'While it is widely believed that running out of fuel on a motorway is illegal, it is specified in a list of acceptable reasons to stop on a motorway. That said there have been cases of drivers being given a ticket for “Driving without due care and attention” if they do run out of fuel.'

(Found on the net)

Some early mercedes had a special spare fuel can fitted into the boot/ spare wheel.

Some early mercedes had a special spare fuel can fitted into the boot/ spare wheel.

Yup I remember those. But I'd expect all current MBs to have them as standard if it was a legal requirement to carry spare fuel.

I've managed it twice, same circumstances both times; visiting friends who live near petrol stations. The brain goes "don't bother stopping beforehand, do it when you leave". Had enough fuel to get there, but not enough for the car to restart several hours later!

I'm sure this incident will ensure that she puts fuel in once the light comes on in the future!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom