Spare wheel for W203 with staggered wheels?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

anderoo

Car
C350 coupe
When I bought my 2006 C350 (W203) it didn't have a spare wheel, and I'm finally getting round to thinking about getting one. I'm slightly confused what I need though, as the wheels are staggered (17").

Could somebody please let me know what the car would have come with so I know what to look for (ebay I guess)? I'm really not sure how it works with staggered wheels.

The other option of getting out of a bind could be this stuff: Mercedes-Benz Emergency Spare Wheel Alternative Flat Repair Space Saver

Is that a viable alternative or just a waste of money and effort?

(I have to admit I've never had a flat on any car I've owned, but sods law...)

MB do a space saver spare wheel for the staggered set-up. I had it in my S203

From memory it was T 125/80 R17 99M2 on a steel rim 3.5 B x 17 H2

Yes we have a steel space saver in our S203 (staggered 17" alloys). It doesn't really matter what you have so long as (a) the rolling radius closely matches the normal wheel/tyre combo, (b) it fits onto the hub and (c) it fits in the boot!

My SL has staggered 18" alloys and a 16" alloy as the spare. And the Vito has (factory) 17" alloys with a 16" steel spare.

Thanks for the replies - very helpful.

Is the squirty repair kit thing worth having do you reckon, either instead of or as well as a spare space saver wheel?

Rarely works and if it does it totally wrecks the tyre making it impossible to repair.

Yes we have a steel space saver in our S203 (staggered 17" alloys). It doesn't really matter what you have so long as (a) the rolling radius closely matches the normal wheel/tyre combo, (b) it fits onto the hub and (c) it fits in the boot!

My SL has staggered 18" alloys and a 16" alloy as the spare. And the Vito has (factory) 17" alloys with a 16" steel spare.

As above.

The official full-size spare wheel available as after-market option from MB was a steel wheel, regardless of whatever the alloys the car came with.

The idea is that with a full-size spare wheel you are not limited by the 50mph speed restriction that the space-saver has. Which is handy if you are doing a lot of motorway miles (or other fast roads).

Obliviously there is nothing stopping you from buying an alloy wheel identical to the ones you have, and in this case I would go for the front (thinner) wheel.

Wider wheels and tyres at the back compared to the front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom