Spares or Repairs E55AMG W211?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sam87

Car
S65AMG V12 BiTurbo & S63AMG V8 BiTurbo Designo
Hello everyone,

Just saw this on ebay and thought I'd ask here, what do you guys think? Is it worth bidding?
I don't know if it's the pics but the passenger side rear door and quarter panel looks different shade?

Anyone have any idea what the problem could be with the engine?

How much is a second hand engine for this cars?

Here's the link MERCEDES E55 AMG 2003 Rare color** Spare or repairs does drive ** | eBay

Last edited:
If you fancy a project and have the ability to fix whatever is wrong (free labour) then sure, go for it. Could end up being a right bargain, depending what it goes for. The spec / colour looks nice too but that is just personal preference (from someone who normally likes all black!)

Thats a difficult one. The coolant leak could easily be down to a weeping water pump which is beer money or a head gasket that could run into a couple of grand rebuild. You should have a couple of k for the inevitable replacement of engine/gearbox mounts, tired steering components etc.
Maybe my eyes but isn't that the bright sun giving the impression of different paint shades on the passenger side?

The question is, Do you feel lucky?
In perfect working order I'd say it's a £8k - £8.5k car.

Here's your link

Thank you.

If you fancy a project and have the ability to fix whatever is wrong (free labour) then sure, go for it. Could end up being a right bargain, depending what it goes for. The spec / colour looks nice too but that is just personal preference (from someone who normally likes all black!)

I have a friend that is a good mechanic and we could try and fix it together.
It's just the part where it say, "Runs and drives performs as it should unfortunately it seems to have a coolant leak somewhere I've had it pressure tested & look for exhaust gases in the water come back fine. It does not pressure rise up the heaters are still hot We have also looked for any visible external leaks and can't find anything don't have the time to keep looking anymore I'm at a loss end with it."

It's been checked out clearly and I'm thinking has it got a big problem and the owner has decides to sell it as it is? It's a risk that I'm thinking if I should take or not?

Thats a difficult one. The coolant leak could easily be down to a weeping water pump which is beer money or a head gasket that could run into a couple of grand rebuild. You should have a couple of k for the inevitable replacement of engine/gearbox mounts, tired steering components etc.
Maybe my eyes but isn't that the bright sun giving the impression of different paint shades on the passenger side?

The question is, Do you feel lucky?
In perfect working order I'd say it's a £8k - £8.5k car.

Thank you.

The thing is, I'm never lucky like that. If I buy a project I "always" spend a lot more than I had planned. I do like the colour of this and it's getting to the point where I don't think I'll ever find a designo e55amg.

What would be a good price for this car to pay as it is?

Yes I also noticed the location, i live in London so it would be quite a drive!
I was thinking to get it recovered? I wonder how much that would cost?

Don’t know if it is only me but I don’t believe he doesn’t know where it is leaking from.

That's my thinking too. It's not a high mileage car, it clearly had money spent on it as it looks nice and it's been tuned. Surely someone that has put all that effort will not let it go for something that can be fixed for not much money

Good gamble if the car was stock.

This already puts me off:

recon gearbox 4000 miles ago stainless steel headers C63 back boxes small supercharger pulley upgrade injectors maps by rhino tuning 600 bhp.

I can't believe the owner would let a well looked after car go for relative peanuts as a spares or repair without knowing what the fault is.
My money is on an expensive head gasket problem and I'd keep looking for that designo unicorn

Realistically if he’s had it pressure tested and the coolant isn’t leaking externally, it can only be going into the engine or the gearbox!

Depending on how quick it is leaking you would expect the gearbox to be quite easy to spot, if it’s burning the coolant off in the engine cylinders then perhaps not.

Thank you guys.

I think it's best as you say I just keep looking for a designo model and hopefully one day I'll find the right E55AMG ( for me )

Gearbox? No gas in header tank no external leak, could be the radiator leaking coolant into atf hence the recon gearbox.
That was my thought too, suspicious of the recon gearbox but if it’s leaking so much coolant that it’s undriveable you would expect the gearbox to stop working and it would be full of coolant obviously!

Wouldn't the people that rebuilt the gearbox have spotted the coolant issue if it was leaking into the gearbox?
Shame really as it does look lovely

Thank you guys.

I think it's best as you say I just keep looking for a designo model and hopefully one day I'll find the right E55AMG ( for me )
It will pop up someday, it's how long you can hold out for it.

If could get it for that money and put a recon box and torque converter and new rad and pipes could still be a decent car. But there could be other issues. Saying that I wouldn't say there are many 5 speed for the 55 knocking about.

Still could be a good project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom