Spark plug change w207

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

[email protected].

Car
E400
Hi can any one help please I want to change the spark plugs but I think i need a special spanner to pull of the wires can any help me and tell how long the job roughly takes and what's the best way Help

Assuming that the engine is similar to the M113 in my CLK500, and has the metal boots over the spark plug wires, then a 17 mm spanner fits neatly behind the 'bulge' in the metal, making it easy to lever them off. A tip from member Lynall, many years ago.
Give the boot a wiggle by hand first, then slip the open end of the 17mm spanner onto the metal boot & use it as a lever to remove the boot from the plug. In fact, a 16 mm spanner is a slightly better fit, but not such a commonly available size.
I last used the technique to replace the 16 spark plugs on mine about a month ago (@175K miles). Works a treat, even with the very limited space on the rear cylinders. With practice, I can get them done in around 3 hours.
Ian.

Assuming that the engine is similar to the M113 in my CLK500, and has the metal boots over the spark plug wires, then a 17 mm spanner fits neatly behind the 'bulge' in the metal, making it easy to lever them off. A tip from member Lynall, many years ago.
Give the boot a wiggle by hand first, then slip the open end of the 17mm spanner onto the metal boot & use it as a lever to remove the boot from the plug. In fact, a 16 mm spanner is a slightly better fit, but not such a commonly available size.
I last used the technique to replace the 16 spark plugs on mine about a month ago (@175K miles). Works a treat, even with the very limited space on the rear cylinders. With practice, I can get them done in around 3 hours.
Ian.
Ian.

Thanks for the reply do I need the boot spanner I need to now if I can buy it from the UK I ha e treid a normal 16 inch spanner I don't have a enough room for the normal one to fit please can any one advise

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom