Spark Plug Problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slbfish

Car
mercedes c180 coupe kompressor
I have a spark plug problem with my 2005 c180k coupe. The mileage is 89000 and i want to change the spark plugs as they have not been done since 49000 but one seems solid. It moves a quarter of a turn and then goes solid. any suggestions???? Thanks

I had that once ...

I have a spark plug problem with my 2005 c180k coupe. The mileage is 89000 and i want to change the spark plugs as they have not been done since 49000 but one seems solid. It moves a quarter of a turn and then goes solid. any suggestions???? Thanks

Same thing for me once on an M110 6 cyl engine. It was the rear-most plug.

This is NOT a recommendation - wait for the brainy boys. This is what I did:

Brute force! It was difficult to reach and my plug socket seemed to get locked between the rocker cover and the rear bulkhead. All in all it was a very tense time.

Eventually, having broken the insulator I got the plug to loosen. When I thought it was about to release, I vacuum cleaned out any debris that might have been created - I did not want bits of insulator ceramic dropping into the cylinder.

Finally, I got the old plug out and installed the new. I applied grease to the threads and then started screwing it in until it locked - then removed it again. I continued like this, even re-applying grease from time to time. Each time I went a little further and then removed it again. Finally, it reached 'home' and I could feel the washer compress. I tightened it down once and for all and all was well.

Things were fine after that and there were several plug changes before I let the car go.

All the time during the tightening process I made sure the socket was vertical and I never applied excessive force.

The interesting thing was that the old plug had what looked like molten, light-coloured metal over the end of the threads. This must have stopped the plug's easy removal.

Do wait for more informed opinion than mine and bon courage!

RayH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom