Spark Plug Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lee C63

MB Enthusiast
Car
C63 (weistec supercharged)
I am aware that as you modify your car you should change the "range" of spark plug you use.
I.e. for every 100BHP increase you should go 1 level lower and adjust the gap accordingly. To prevent pre-detonation and subsequent engine damage.

I did have the Brisk plugs in but then changed back to OEM...basically for fault Diagnosis. I will be ordering the new Weistec Plugs soon (they now do there own which are manufactured by Bosch)

However, now this is the stupid question.

I am running a Killer Chiller (reduces IAT to 30-35 degrees)and I will be installing a Aquamist Water Meth system in a couple of weeks which could potentially reduce IAT's a bit more.

So does that mean my car will not be running as "hot" as it should be for 700BHP plus, and actually i should not be lowering the "range" on the spark plugs???? :dk::dk:

It's all about the AFR's and timing as to whether the spark plugs function correctly not so much the IAT's
Do some data logging and make sure all is spot on as correct Air/Fuel Ratio = Optimum Performance :)

It's all about the AFR's and timing as to whether the spark plugs function correctly not so much the IAT's
Do some data logging and make sure all is spot on as correct Air/Fuel Ratio = Optimum Performance :)

Yeah once John (BFT) gets his Dyno running that will be the plan.

Could be a expensive repair bill for the sake of having the wrong spark plugs if you don't do a bit of research, or like you say a bit of setting up on the Dyno. :eek:

sorry to hijack...

I recently changed from the standard Bosch plugs to the NGK, soon after the car was not quite running right, with a very strong smell of fuel going through the exhaust system....

I thought this may be a map issue but now im thinking its something a little more serious.

The bosch plugs were in for about 2 months less than 800 miles on them before i swapped them for the ngk irridium's..

Im booked in with Acid on Tuesday will take the other plugs with me and hope acid can sort it out :)

The basic principle is that for proper function a spark plug needs to have a high enough tip temperature to "self-clean", but be cool enough to avoid pre-ignition.

If you're not sure about whether you can run a hotter plug or not, you're better off erring on the side of running a colder plug as the downside is (mostly) limited to the possibility of fouling. Running too hot a plug than needed is more dangerous as it can be prone to pre-ignition causing holed pistons.

Yeah once John (BFT) gets his Dyno running that will be the plan.

Could be a expensive repair bill for the sake of having the wrong spark plugs if you don't do a bit of research, or like you say a bit of setting up on the Dyno. :eek:

Getting there. Amazing how much bloody paint this place needs :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom