Spark Plug Remover

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WestHamboy

Car
mercedes 280ce
Apologies if this is a dumb question(have to ask though) i want to change/inspect the plugs but don't have the tool, are these universal ?

I have a 280CE 1977 Coupe.

Thanks

David

Pretty much. - There are generally only a couple of sizes, so as long as you've got the right one it will work on every spark plug of that size.

On a 1977 Coupe it's probably a fairly large plug that easy to access (although I'm basing that on my memory of a '70s 230 compact).

No there are different hex socket sizes see
https://www.ngk.com/glossary/8/spark-plug/H but its confusing because plugs are often named by their thread diameter e.g. a "14mm plug " not by hex size
On a 1977 most likely a 21mm hex socket will fit. later plugs are still usually 14mm thread but have a smaller hex.
Get a long internally cushioned plug socket that will fit whatever square drive set you got. Halfords do a decent range. best to take a plug in to try before you buy if possible . Most old mercs come with a tool kit complete with a crude box plug spanner??

I've only ever needed the two plug sockets; they've removed every plug I've ever attempted. - I'm almost certain it's the larger of the two for a Mercedes from the '70s, and 21mm sounds about right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom