Spark Plugs A150.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

toolman1954

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2006 320 CDI Avantgarde . 1997 312d Sprinter
The o/h's little A150 was coughing and spluttering so she said and the EML had lit up. I put the MB11 on it, and it said fault cylinder 3. I checked the Actual values, and it showed "Brennspannungsdaur" --Burning voltage ----as :-
1....1.21 1...1.46
3....0.87 After new plugs 3...1.46
4....1.24 4...1.43
2....1.29 2...1.56

so I guessed a spark plug had started missing. She took it to a local garage to get them to change the plugs, and back she came with a completely unrelated DTC that was just uncleared written on the piece of paper I sent her with.
I went and bought 4 Spark Plugs and decided to fit them myself.
When I lifted the bonnet, it became apparent why then garage was not keen on changing the plugs as they were hidden from view completely. I had a quick look on youtube for some info and found out what a pig of a job it is replacing the plugs on the A Series. Hardly similar to an A Series Mini, which is 5 minutes and job done !
So, modus operandi. Firstly, I got it up on some ramps, so I didn't ruin my back doing the job. Out came the washer bottle and the air filter and electronics after disconnecting the connectors. First plug was out in less then10 minutes. What a state it was in, I could have driven a bus through the gap. If I had of had some feelers I would have measured them. New plug went in no problem. Next plug, moving from right to left, so I assume this is no.3? took a wee bit longer, it was tight and angled to the left. Similar condition. Next plug was a bit of a stretch, sliding my arm along the back of the radiator and using a mirror to see what I was doing. Spark plug cap was very tight, but I managed to get it off and plug out and new one in. I suppose an hour had now passed and it was 3 .1 to me. Now the farthest along plug on the right hand side, no.1 I presume , was unreachable, my arms were just not long enough. I tried removing the Torx bolts holding the Oil filler tube, there are 3 , one came undone, one snapped off and the other was not reachable. So that ended that bright idea.
After some deliberation, I decided that the only way forwards was was to remove the o/s headlamp. This needed 2 plastic retainers under the wing undoing and an 8 mm bolt taking out. I had already removed the headlamp bolts bar one and by undoing the front spoiler, I was able to pull it forwards and get a 10 mm socket onto the last headlamp retaining bolt. With the headlamp out, it was easy to access the last plug and get it changed. I had to replace all that I had taken off before I was able to start it up, and it sounded fine.
I put the diagnostic back on it, and it came up with the above ^ values for burning voltage. Cleared the EML and that did not reappear so job done. A gashed right arm and a bit of flesh gone from my left knuckles... aaahhh happy memories of pain from fixing cars. Not as bad as a sleeve full of hot rust when welding on a sill or some chassis section though.
So, these knackered plugs had not seen the light of day for years, I presume in this day and age a service does not include changing the spark plugs, especially when they are a PITA to do.
Apart from a V12 Jaguar, that I did years and years ago, these plugs must rate as one of the worst I have done. At least hopefully they will not need changing again very soon.

Steve.

Think of the brownie points you have in credit with the missus now Steve.
Well worth a little discomfort:D

I am a hero once again,:rolleyes:.... but that will soon wear off ! Now I need a dry day to have a look at my car abnd get the phone sorted.:)

Steve.

Had them done by Mercedes as part of the Service Car Plan, two years ago - so glad it's a service item.
Next time - in 2020, still part of the plan ... :)

Well after a couple of days the misfire returned, a hero no more ! so not to be outdone, I ordered a set of plug leads and two coil packs. These arrived on Monday 20th. Tuesday, I had the car back on the ramps, ( to save getting a bad back ) and proceeded to have to dismantle half the engine, or so it felt, to get at the coil packs. There is a mounting bracket in front of the coil packs and this is a right pig to get off. Notwithstanding that this is the first time anything has been dismantled in this area, so all the torx bolts were mega tight, and of course restricted access. Off came the o/s Headlamp, ( getting good at that now ) and it was off and on with the new Coil packs and HT leads. When I pulled the ht leads, they are actually marked 1234 from left to right looking at the engine. There is no documentry evidence of this anywhere, although convention is that no.1 cylinder is furthest from the gearbox.
I bolted everything back up and strted up the engine, no misfire, purred like a kitten and revved freely. I was a buit concerned that there was a "FAULT Counter at Cylinder 3 " 15 . I had an inkling that this was registered because cylinder 3 needed a good clearout after having been misfiring for a few days. The Brennspannungsdauer ( burning voltage ) shows 4 good healthy cylinders. Today, Thursday, I stuck the MB11 on it and rechecked the Fault Counter and that just shows a 1 now,so I think my suspicions were correct, and still 4 good strong burning voltages. Car is now back to its former self, and I am the hero once more.

Steve.

Attachments

• 20180823_102624_1a.jpg
    20180823_102624_1a.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20180823_102645_2a.jpg
    20180823_102645_2a.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20180823_103750a.jpg
    20180823_103750a.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 8
  • P8160023a.jpg
    P8160023a.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 8
Had them done by Mercedes as part of the Service Car Plan, two years ago - so glad it's a service item.
Next time - in 2020, still part of the plan ... :)

Is the plan transferable to the island of sun? :)

Reactions: GLK
You are a brave man :)

Our 1997 Toyota Previa which we had from new is still on its original spark plugs, and for a similar reason: on the Previa, it's an engine-out job (the engine is located under the car between the front seats... and only a small access panel inside the car, sufficient to check the oil dipstick).

Anyway, well done you!

Is the plan transferable to the island of sun? :)
Nope. Bush mechanic will look after it :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom