Spark Plugs / Oil - C180 Kompressor (04)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jackson7715

Car
Mercedes C180 Kompressor (2004)
Hi all.

Im a newbie, finally managed to nab myself a merc. She needs some tlc tho, and still not sure about this service A and service B thing.

Im gonna do a service on the car myself, oil/filters, sparks.

Anyone suggest what plugs to use? And a good place to buy them please. Also what oil i should be using, is 10w40 ok for it?.

Many thanks

Look forward to getting to know the members.

Mat

The M271 engines needs oil that meets MB Spec Sheet 229.3 as minimum. The latest MB Spec Sheet 229.5 will also be OK. The oil certification is printed on the oil container.

Avoid oil meeting other MB Spec Sheet numbere because these were not designed for your engine.

Many on here chose to buy MB-branded oil on eBay, it isn't necessarily better than other oils but it's good quality, does the job, and carries the right MB-Spec. If doing so, then make sure you buy the oil from a reputable seller, because there have been cases where counterfeit oil was sold on eBay. MB-barnded oil is supposedly made by Petronas.

Alternatively you could buy oil from Opie Oils, or from Euro Car Parts if you have the right discount code.

While any oil that meets
MB Spec Sheet 229.3 or 229.5 will do, certain brands are considered as leading oils, among which are Shell Helix Ultra, Mobil 1, and Fuchs Titan.

On the same note, choosing engine oil with the correct spec is paramount, because the M271 engine is prone to premature timing gear failure. Google "M271 timing chain".

The common issues with your car are:

- Premature timing gear failure that can cause valve and piston damage

- Oil leak from the two Camshaft Position Sensors at the front of the engine that can cause ECU failure

- Split vacuum hose under the air filter box that can cause rough idle

- Blocked engine breather causing EML light on the dash

- Leaking pilot bush in the automatic transmission

- 'Sweating' rear differential (small oil leake from the drive shafts)

- Faulty Front Passenger Seat Occupancy Sensor causing SRS fault light on the dash

- Faulty Steering Wheel Angle Sensor causing SRS fault light on the dash

- Faulty thermostat causing the engine to run cold and not reach normal operating temperatures (~82-96)

- Suspension knocking due to component (rear dampers etc) needing replacing

The service items for your car are:

- Engine oil and filter change
- Brake fluid change
- Air filter change
- Cabin/Pollen filter change
- Fuel filter change
- Spark plug change
- ATF and filter change
- Engine coolant change

Good filter brands are MB-branded, Mahle, Bosch, Knecht, Mann.

Re spark plugs, if your engine is the M271.946, then you can use MB-branded Bosch plugs, or just Bosch-branded plugs (Bosch P/N FR6MPP332).

Alternatively you can use MB-branded NGK Iridium plugs, or just NGK-branded Iridium plugs (NGK P/N ILFR6A).

The NGK plugs are considered an 'upgrade' to the standard Bosch plugs though in reality will make little difference to your car.

I used these MB-Branded NGK Iridium plugs:

20191022-021005.jpg

Last edited:
Iridium plugs are set to last longer *[ 25% plus] than platinum but are more expensive to purchase thus possibly balancing out on costs. Where they gain would be they extend plug change intervals which may be usefull in engines where the plugs are particularly difficult to access.
* last longer= stay within their operational performance design envelope longer-- thus resisting any fouling, misfiring etc
Guide to Spark Plug Materials

Markjay, thank you very much for all the information you have provided me. It is very helpful. I noticed i had some fresh oil on the front top of engine, i will get a pic later after work to see what i make of it. Could be what u mentioned regarding the position sensors possibly.

Grober, yea i hear iridiums do last longer. Ive started to use them in my bike too lol.

Welcome along. Take heed of the advice you have been given on here re: cam chain failure. If it happens to your car while driving ,it will be damaged beyond economical repair.

Looks like oil on the front

2012-08-27-Connector-3.jpg

These are the two camshaft position sensors at the front of the engine. Check that they are dry.

The photo is showing a modification fitted, which is a short extension lead between the sensor's electrical connector and the main wiring loom.

The purpose of this modification is to prevent leaked oil from travelling up the wring loom and into the ECU.

The MB part number for the extension lead is A 271 150 27 33, and two units are required.

Incidentally, the angled black plastic tube below the camshaft position sensors is the thermostat housing, and luckily the thermostat is easy to replace if faulty.

The original MB Thermostat is P/N A 271 203 0475 .

The OEM replacement is Wahler P/N 3457.90D .

Air Filter options:
---------------------
MB P/N A271 094 02 04
Mann P/N C14114
Mahle P/N LX 1277
Bosch P/N 1 987 429 401
Hengst P/N E472L

Cabin/Pollen Filter Options (note: this is the RHD version):
------------------------------
MB P/N A 203 830 10 18
Mann P/N CUK 3461/1
Mahle P/N LAK 129/1

Last edited:
Oil Filter options:
------------------
MB P/N A 271 180 00 09 or A 271 180 01 09
Mann P/N HU 514 X
Hengst P/N E38H D106

Fuel Filter options:
---------------------
Mann P/N WK 720

Last edited:
Absolute fountain of knowledge mark, thanks very much.

I would post a pic to show, as it is wet there. Thats where it is. I will try and resize some images to show u later when home again. What is the max picture size for uploads on the forum.

Once ive got to the bottom of the oil leak, looking at Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 or mobil super 3000 x1 5w40 oil wise. Prob best to use a decent one, after reading about the chain. So decent oil is a must.

Absolute fountain of knowledge mark, thanks very much.

I would post a pic to show, as it is wet there. Thats where it is. I will try and resize some images to show u later when home again. What is the max picture size for uploads on the forum.

The oil leak could also be from the camshafts cover, in which case this may be due to blocked breather.

Another possible source is the front timing cover or the crankshaft pulley seal, but these are less common on this engine.

I have ordered a haynes (book of lies). Lol. To show me where all the breathers are located hopefully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom