SPAX PSX - W202 suspension Upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

altreed

Car
c36 AMG, z3 2.8, BMW 330D Touring.... Bike: Yamaha T/cat 600, Z1r {gxsr1100 mota}, CR500 Aii
Hi,

I have been thinking of upgrading my c36 suspension. I have looked into a Carlsson kit, new springs and adjustable gas shocks. However at £1200 they are a bit pricey. I spotted a SPAX PSX kit, offering a similar format, new springs and adjustable shocks.

Has anyone got an opinion on the SPAX product? They are a lot less cash.

Cheers

Dave

altreed said:
Hi,

I have been thinking of upgrading my c36 suspension. I have looked into a Carlsson kit, new springs and adjustable gas shocks. However at £1200 they are a bit pricey. I spotted a SPAX PSX kit, offering a similar format, new springs and adjustable shocks.

Has anyone got an opinion on the SPAX product? They are a lot less cash.

Cheers

Dave
I did the full conversion on my old XR2i Hillclimb car and to be honest the SPAX stuff is the Dogs doo dads. Very well made and does what it says on the tin.
I would not hessitate to recommend them.
Mark

I would politely disagree totally with the above comments.

Have always found them not up to the quality of such makes as bilstein...

W202 Adjustable Suspension

Have any of you put or found an adjustble suspension kit for the W202, If you have, could you let me know of someone who sells one, preferably near London.

Im sure I already contacted someone about a SPAX kit with no luck.

Anyway, any help will be most appreciated.

Try Ringing Alan from A&S wheels - 02085188010

I rang him on Friday and today regarding the Bilstien suspension kit for my c36. Adjustable Coilovers.

Hope this helps, he quoted me £1k a set.

£1000!!!?? Are they diamond incrusted :eek:
Well guess im not surprised really. Its just, you'd think there would be a hell of a lot more competition in the adjustable suspension market for C Classes seeing how popular they are worldwide.

So are you going for the Bilstein coilovers then? Have you spoken to anyone whos had these installed already?
I was thinking of taking Alps suggestion with the H&Rs and the #1 Spring Pads! He's currently talking me out of 19s ;)

In case anyones interested (Dave), I got a quote from AutoBahn...

"Firstly, I'm afraid Bilstein do not offer any fully adjustable suspension kits for your vehicle, only for C Classes '2000' on...... :crazy:

However I can supply you with Sprint units, which are shortened shocks to suit lowered springs.

Set of 4 Shocks (Bilstein Sprints) cost £440 inc vat
I can also offer you a full suspension kit, consisting of Bilstein Sprint Shocks and Eibach lowering Springs (30mm) @ £640 inc vat."

Sounds abit pricey for what your getting. The H&R coilovers are sounding more and more tempting...id rather pay the £800 if it means i get a fully adjustable kit. Especially if im gona give 19s a go! :p ....I can feel the Dark Side pulling me ever closer!!

Check here LINK
Speak to chet and say mercman sent you :)

Ricky

DarkAngel - I was told by A&S that 19's will shake the car to bits.

I have ordered a set of H&R springs now but have had little success in sourcing a set of decent shocks for my c36, the best offering is the standard AMG shocks, they are not adjustable and cost about £700 a set. I wouldn't be suprised if it would be cheaper/better to find a company who makes competition shocks and having some cutom made ones!

I had a look under the arches on my car whilst removing the wheels and can't see where one can fit coilover shox, the shock is surrounded by bodywork leaving no space for the spring to coil over!

I am in two minds about changing my wheels. I have sent them off to BJV to be refurbished and am uncertain about the effect of fitting different wheels. I would like to fit some nice shiney 19 inchers, but the feedback was negative from A&S.

Does anyone know what 19" rims are like on a c-Klasse - any opinions or experience out there??

Dark Angel,

I must admit it does look phat! but the ride will be shite, it will tramline everywhere (mine tramlines bad on 18`s) and alot of archwork would be needed.

H&R do do a coilover setup for the 202, worth checking out.

as for 19`s, if you want bad handling and alot of headache, go for it! it will look phat tho!

Thats me convinced, I'm sticking to my 17"s

H&R's with pad3's I think and I'll see how my shox are after the new springs are fitted.

I dont want mine that low!

NOOOOOO!!!! Don't do it Dave.... come on! at least stick 18"s on. I still cant get over the fact that 18"s still look small for wheel to body ratio on W202s, however they do look good! Come over to the Dark Side :devil:

Dave, Just to clarify, H&R`s #1 spring pad on front and #2 on the back, and some 18`s with 225/40/18 on the front and 255/35/18 on the rear, this setup works perfect.
slight runb on full lock but thats expected, i can load the car up fully boot and people and it doesnt scrape a bit! only have to worry about those dodgy london speed humps we have!

We have speed humps, I could do without nuisance. I dont like trams!

I may be drawn to the dark side, but it will depend on the cost of new shoes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom