Speaker grill replacement query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephenmercedes

Car
W203 C240 (LPG conversion) RIP
Hi, the speaker grill on my drivers door (W203 C240) is knackered! Can it be replaced on it's own, or do I need to look out for a scrap door card? Also, if it can be replaced, how is it clipped in?

speaker_grill_lores_a9ed5317893ae144d4e8af47050cda1c279da2a9.jpg

I think your looking at a new door card and transfer all over.. check with MB Newcastle how much a new one maybe.. just out of curiosity. I had a Skoda Superb recently as a company car that had the same. a new door card from Skoda was £168 which wasn't bad.. and yes I'm aware its a Merc..There are plenty of breakers about, but its getting a decent card..

You do not need to replace the door card.

The grilles are available (around £30 from memory for the front) and to replace means removing the door card (disconnect the battery first for safety),, the speaker grilles are located in by plastic plugs that are either glued or held in by melting the ends of the plugs. Simply drill or break out the plastic plugs, insert new grille and use a soldering iron to melt over the ends.

See here:C class speaker cover
Especially post 8

Just to round this thread off, this is the required grill which I just got.

speaker part number.jpg

All now sorted, big improvement, and for very little money!

speaker grill before and after.jpg

Excellent, did the door card come off and go back on easily?

I have a confession, got a real man to do it, but I did watch! From start to finish, it took about 20 minutes. He's an 'independent' MB garage, and had the door card off in about 5 minutes, no clips broke. Obviously he had done that once or twice in his life. To weld the speaker on took less than 10 minutes, and the card went just straight back on. He was that good that I thought, I could easily have done that, the greatest skill of a professional is to make a rank amateur think they could do the same LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom