Special Edition CLS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mactech

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Porsche Macan S, BMW i3
As some of you will know I came very close to being tempted in to a new CLS Grand Edition at the beginning of December. The finance deals were very attractive. In the end I found a 59 plate CLS at Mercedes Direct which had more of the spec I wanted (Nappa, Memory pack, Comand, posh wheels and Xenons) and will cost me about £6k less over the next 2 years. So did I miss out anything on the Grand Edition spec?
Always one to plough my own furrow, I have made my car a very special edition with a few discreet mods.;)
Just like the Grand Edition the rear is de-badged and the engine output raised with the addition of a Brabus box. A private plate with Mercedes branded surround and my own special edition badges complete the mods so far.
It is apparently the law to have sports pedals fitted if you are an active member of this forum, so this has been done to comply.:eek:
Not everyone’s taste I’m sure! But I got what I wanted; I have a unique car and saved a packet. Oh! and it certainly keeps up with the traffic.:D

Last edited:
Like it, the one thing you are missing is the Palladium silver colour which is gorgeous! The Grand Edition wheels are polished so will corrode within a year or so.

I debaged mine too, more to tidy it up rather than fool anyone - the smooth curves with CLS 320 CDI all over the back just look a bit fussy in my opinion.

I did notice the dark surround headlights on the Grand Edition which I think would look cool with my black car, but no doubt are very, very expensive!

What are the badges, I saw one the other day where the owner had put every Brabus badge that comes with the kit (about 8 or 10) on the car and it did not look good. Oh just seen your next post.

I also have the pedals LOL

Simon

PS Oh and the Brabus as you know ;)

Looks fabulous. :thumb:

Even better when you have a good deal so well done m8.

I too have the pedals and debadged.

Mark.

Welcome to the CLS Club.:rock::rock:

Looks stunning!

Only missing one thing.......

ME in the driving seat!!

I had quite a shock, Admiral wanted over 100GBP* a month extra - but they seemed to have forgotten about it at renewal time so seeing as I have told them I consider it their loss.

The trouble is the % increase in power is just over 20% which seemed to cause alarm bells for them.

But I did get some reasonable quotes but it added a couple or hundred to it. It does reduce the number of insurers who will quote though, but chipping is more common nowadays.

Simon

* cannot find the poxy pound sign on this keyboard,

Are you putting the Kahn wheels off the S onto it Mac ?

Love the 'MACTECH' Blue Efficiency badges !! :D

Brabus tuning chip does it affect the insurance by much

Both the 320CDI and the Grand Edition CLS sit in band 45 for insurance. I was able to convince my insurance that this 'effiency upgrade' to the same spec as the Grand Edition was no increased risk.
What did suprise me is that I'm paying more for the CLS than the S. The fact it is a newer car probably has an impact on the money paid out in a total loss senario.

Are you putting the Kahn wheels off the S onto it Mac ?

Love the 'MACTECH' Blue Efficiency badges !! :D

The Kahn wheels (too big for the CLS) and lowering kit will be on ebay come the spring;)

I must confess that since the CLS has had its Brabus box, I seem to have been driving more with my ‘sports’ head on and enjoying the fact that it feels considerably more than its actual 200kgs lighter than the S Class in the twisty bits.;)
Today, traffic dictated that driving with my ‘Eco’ head on was more sensible and despite the freezing conditions I was pleased with the results below given the very limited modifications to the car so far.
So my pet project for 2010 will be to develop a genuine 55mpg CLS, not because I’m hell bent on saving money or the planet, but simply because I think I can.:D
I know its not quite the same thing as a CLS55, but other than the sound track, there is little difference in 'real world' performance.
Now I wonder if with CAN inputs from throttle position and RPM, I can get COMAND to play an appropriate V8 AMG sound track?:dk:
Second thoughts, I actually prefer the near silent shove in the back from the old turbo 'wood burner':eek:

Last edited:
That's very impressive indeed. It makes my Audi A2, giving me an average 64mpg (60mph average speed), seem rather mediocre, considering it only has a 3 cylinder 1.4 TDi engine. I wonder where I'm going wrong?

edit: my mpg is manually calculated from full tank to full tank. So is roughly -+2mpg.
Do you know how accurate your onboard computer is?

Last edited:
That's very impressive indeed. It makes my Audi A2, giving me an average 64mpg (60mph average speed), seem rather mediocre, considering it only has a 3 cylinder 1.4 TDi engine. I wonder where I'm going wrong?

edit: my mpg is manually calculated from full tank to full tank. So is roughly -+2mpg.
Do you know how accurate your onboard computer is?

I haven't had the car long enough to do accurate tank to tank calculations, but as all three V6 diesel meters I've had previously have been accurate to within 1.5%, I must assume this one will be the same.
Haven't even checked the tyre pressures yet....or lowered it...or modified any of the aerodynamics:) There's probably an other 2 mpg in each of those;)

Nice car!
Does the CLS 320CDI have the same engine as the E350CDI coupe? I have only done 1500 miles in mine but the mpg is pretty poor and I dont really drive with a heavy right foot or use the sports mode. I think I am getting around 40mpg, not complaining but just noticed that the 320CDI is a 3ltr V6.

I understand the 350 engine is basically the same but with some efficiency upgrades.
It certainly has better fuel and CO2 figures than the 320 engine with much the same power output.
Talking with a former colleague who is an expert in this area, he says there is a great deal of engineering work going into getting better results in certification tests but which don’t actually help a great deal in ‘real world’ driving.
Cars are now bought and taxed on lab test certification results, not real world driving. Ask BMW!
I'm doing my driving in the real world on real roads;)

Seems crazy that I am way behind your mpg figures when the E class has "efficiency upgrades" and the body shape is supposed to be the slipperiest out there :D
I guess the cold weather doesnt help (although I thought your mpg figure was today?) what was your mpg figures before the Brabus box, will have to wait for better weather and see how I get on....
Got any more pics to post of your car, interior etc?

Last edited:
Your car is clearly very new. I noticed with my E320CDI that after it had been thru 10,000 miles, had it's first service and so on - mpg went up considerably. Secondly as you point out the cold weather doesn't help - the engine takes a while to warm.

The engine btw is now continuing to improve it's MPG - my father brought the car from me, and now at 120,000 miles it's still going strong. Be patient, and your mpg will rise....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom