***SPECS activated on M4***

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sp!ke

Administrator
Car
SL500 & The Fart Car
*** WARNING ***

Those new electronic signs on the M4 were switched on this Tuesday. The bad news is that they are rigged with the SPECS speed cameras.

SPECS is a computer-camera based system. As you go past the sign a digital camera reads your number plate. When you go past the next sign your number plate is read again. The computer 'knows' how far apart the signs
are so it can work out your average speed between the two, or three or four.

The system is fully automatic and will issue a ticket without any form of human intervention. It does this for every single vehicle that passes. You will not know you've been caught as the cameras don't flash. They work 24/7, 365 days a year, and theoretically, there's absolutely no limit on the number of tickets that the system can issue.

The whole section of the M4 between Theale (J12) and Membury
Services (between 14 and 15) is wired, both ways. The system is set to trigger a ticket at 78 mph. Radar detectors will be of no use as SPECS is entirely passive, there is no radar or laser beam to detect.

Be warned

Unfortuantly this is rumor and slightly un-true. Thames Valley Police have just released a press release stating that this is not true, and that all speed camera's have to be painted yellow to indicate them, including SPECS.

I'll see if I can find the link to the TVP Press Release...

Good info if it was true though!

As per the Thames Valley Police website:

The Highways Agency has installed new signs between J 12 and J 14 of the M4 as part of a year long pilot project to reduce congestion and collisions. The signs have two CCTV cameras. One which monitors the sign itself to make sure its working and displaying the right message; and another to monitor the congestion to evaluate the effect the sign is having on the traffic.

There are NO speed cameras and NO SPECS cameras in the signs!

Also see:
http://www.abd.org.uk/
http://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/
http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/projects/ms4/09.htm

Yes, I had an e-mail to confirm this morning that this is a hoax that has been spread via email:

Blackspot

Complete tosh. This seems to appear every few months :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Gav

Hoax or not I was glad I had my Road Angel to warn me of real live SPECS on the M6.

>> Hoax or not I was glad I had my Road Angel to warn me of real live SPECS on the M6.

I've heard the SPECS on the M6 are actually dummy cameras? Does anyone know anyone who has been caught by these?

Gav.

when i go to leeds my angel goes mental around birmingham on the M6, and whether theyre dummies or not you can never be 100% sure so id say its better to be cautious. Interesting to note when i go the other way (M42,M1) it doesnt sound once. Mainly seems to be roadworks.

>> when I go to leeds my angel goes mental around birmingham on the M6, and whether theyre dummies or not you can never be 100% sure so id say its better to be cautious.

Agreed, best to be safe as you’re more likely to get done for speeding driving through road works than anywhere else (apparently).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom