SPECS cameras are lane specific!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/...eeding tickets...by changing lanes/article.do

"The Home Office admitted yesterday that the hi-tech SPECS cameras - produced by Camberley-based Speed Check Services - are only approved to be used one lane at a time.

That means a three-lane motorway would require three separate sets of cameras - one for each lane. If drivers leave the speed-camera zone via a different lane to the one they entered in, they cannot normally be prosecuted.

The camera's manufacturers - Speed Check Services (SCS) - confirmed that drivers could escape prosecution by lane-hopping but discouraged it on 'safety' grounds."

Ahh, my lane-changing through motorway roadworks with SPECS was not for nothing then!

Usually I enter the zone at 51mph (speed limiter) with everyone flying past me, they all slam on the brakes down to 40-45mph for the first camera and I overtake them all for 2 or 3 minutes until the zone is over. Usually requires a few lane changes :)

Shude said:
Ahh, my lane-changing through motorway roadworks with SPECS was not for nothing then!

Usually I enter the zone at 51mph (speed limiter) with everyone flying past me, they all slam on the brakes down to 40-45mph for the first camera and I overtake them all for 2 or 3 minutes until the zone is over. Usually requires a few lane changes :)

Roadworks specs are NOT lane specific, they cover the two lanes open usually.:eek:

Excellent news.

I must remember to change lanes in future, that way any error in the Specs camera calibration won't mean I'll get an eroneous ticket, 'if you know what I mean' ;)

since we are on the subject of cameras and speeding tickets.
this is a new one to me.

My brother got a speeding ticket last week,

ok well here goes

they sent him 2 photographs with the speed on them
taken within seconds of each other.

you can see his face perfectly aswell

looks like they are tightening up now, so you cant even say you weren't driving the car.

anyone seen this before!

mioba said:
since we are on the subject of cameras and speeding tickets.
this is a new one to me.

My brother got a speeding ticket last week,

ok well here goes

they sent him 2 photographs with the speed on them
taken within seconds of each other.

you can see his face perfectly aswell

looks like they are tightening up now, so you cant even say you weren't driving the car.

anyone seen this before!

That is why they are tightening up on window tints. Time to put that George W Bush mask on.

Suppose a cynic might think this could be a ploy to sell more SPECS cameras. However worse is to come because of the new generation low cost "Spike" average speed camera that will soon be festooned around:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/10/10/nspeed10.xml

Brian WH said:
Roadworks specs are NOT lane specific, they cover the two lanes open usually.:eek:
Then it would appear that changing lane and NOT BREAKING THE SPEED LIMIT is the ideal combination! :D

Satch said:
That is why they are tightening up on window tints. Time to put that George W Bush mask on.
Wearing a mask whilst driving ? I feel a 'Jack Straw' discussion coming on. :rolleyes:

You joke, but I find people (OK, some Muslim women) who wear a full veil (i.e only a slit for their eyes) make urban driving very dangerous. You lose eye to eye contact which we all subliminally do at junctions, etc.

Brian WH said:

Not as far as I'm aware, they always point at the outside lane on dual carriageways.
Next time you're in Nottingham have a good look.

The references on the net I looked at say 'lane specific' - specs type approved for single lane use only. So changing lanes would appear to work.
Perhaps the speed camera databases need to say which lanes are now covered!!!
Les

There seems to be 2 SPECS cameras on the Embankment stretch in London (near the VW garage and Southwark Bridge) for the 2 lane road.

Satch said:

Suppose a cynic might think this could be a ploy to sell more SPECS cameras. However worse is to come because of the new generation low cost "Spike" average speed camera that will soon be festooned around:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/10/10/nspeed10.xml

We might as well be paying 'Scamera Tax' as well at this rate... :|

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom