speed averaging cameras

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zoros

Car
SL55 AMG
Curious: has anyone actually been done by one of these?

Secondly, why are some gatsco cameras pointing with a camera lens in one direction only but the road markings are on both sides of the road and before and after the camera?

Can you only get caught if you are driving over the markings AND with the lens looking at you?

zoros said:
Curious: has anyone actually been done by one of these? Secondly, why are some gatsco cameras pointing with a camera lens in one direction only but the road markings are on both sides of the road and before and after the camera? Can you only get caught if you are driving over the markings AND with the lens looking at you?

1- yes (not me)

2- The cameras rotate

3- yes

There are rulers on both sides of the road, but the camera can only measure in one direction, as you have to have passed over the length of the ruler before it can take a picture.

They're on both sides often to prevent drivers darting to the other side of the road to avoid the ruler, thinking that'll save them the ticket and potentially cause a head-on.

If and when they put up temporary speed camera's are these really legal for instance in the case of road work? I thought average speed camera were often added to roads that had major incident on.

So for instance they are there if workmen are working but what if there is no one around should they still be allowed to fine you?

Normally if they are rotating cameras then they are rear facing, so if you approached the stripes with the camera facing you, it would be monitoring the opposite lane to your direction of travel.

Speed limit is the speed limit. Expect a fine if you break it..

Simple really.

Can you only get caught if you are driving over the markings AND with the lens looking at you?

All modern average speed cameras do not use road markings. They take a digital image and time stamp as you pass through one set and do the same at a second set and work out your average speed.

I still laugh and the 'tards the brake for them and speed up between cameras.

You never know which cameras are set in pairs when you have a long stretch of multiple cameras.

There are rulers on both sides of the road, but the camera can only measure in one direction, as you have to have passed over the length of the ruler before it can take a picture.

They're on both sides often to prevent drivers darting to the other side of the road to avoid the ruler, thinking that'll save them the ticket and potentially cause a head-on.

Presumably it's also a cheap way to make drivers travelling in both directions slow down, regardless of which way the camera is pointing.

A dual carriageway near me has had 'ruler' markings for as long as I can remember without there ever having been a camera there. Probably 50% of drivers stand on the brakes when they see them (slowing down to well below the posted limit, of course :rolleyes:).

Re. SPECS cameras (average speed) I do wonder what the tolerance on those is as a lot of people seem to routinely blast through at much higher speeds than the normal ACPO guideline thresholds (110% + 2 mph, e.g. 57 mph for a 50 limit)?

Curious: has anyone actually been done by one of these?

Secondly, why are some gatsco cameras pointing with a camera lens in one direction only but the road markings are on both sides of the road and before and after the camera?

Speaking to a traffic cop at my place of work recently ; the average speed cameras on the M74 roadworks around Bothwell , which have been operating for about a year now , so regular users of the road should be well aware of them , net over 100 speeders EVERY DAY !

I travel through at least twice every weekday , careful to keep to the limit , and it is amazing the number of people who just fly by at speeds well in excess of the very conspicuously posted 50 mph .

Re the road markings , these are there for corroboration in case of error , or a dispute - the cameras are meant to take two photographs with a fixed interval between them , and the distance a car travels over the markings between the two photographs can be used to calculate speed . Markings are often on both sides of the road to deter people from crossing to avoid them ( not that it would make any difference ) , and some cameras in the middle of dual carriageways can rotate to point in different directions .

Temporary speed limits through roadworks should be covered by a competent Traffic Regulation Order ( TRO ) , as with any other change in speed limits , and for major road works like the M74 ones I mentioned it is most unlikely that won't have been done and checked .

Smaller road works , such as where the road is dug up for a day or two with temporary traffic lights , are more likely to be subject to error , but I wouldn't count on it .

Re. SPECS cameras (average speed) I do wonder what the tolerance on those is as a lot of people seem to routinely blast through at much higher speeds than the normal ACPO guideline thresholds (110% + 2 mph, e.g. 57 mph for a 50 limit)?

AIUI , the cameras in the M74 50 mph restriction enforce above 59 mph , and even then they are issuing 100+ fines every day :doh:

In fairness , while I sit quite diligently at an indicated 50 ( never more than about 52 on my speedometer , which my TomTom claims to be 50 ) , I find myself passing a number of people who drive several mph slower , but the vast majority doing around the same speed as myself .

Once or twice a week , though , I do see the odd 'Starship Enterprise' fly past at what seems like Warp 9.9

All modern average speed cameras do not use road markings. They take a digital image and time stamp as you pass through one set and do the same at a second set and work out your average speed.

I still laugh and the 'tards the brake for them and speed up between cameras.

You never know which cameras are set in pairs when you have a long stretch of multiple cameras.

Yes , average speed cameras , and single speed cameras are entirely different things , with only the latter using the road markings .

Fascinating subject stirring up several emotions.

Got done last week by a gatsco and as one earlier poster stated its the time stamp difference and distance etc that got me @ 45 in a 30 dual carriageway. Bang to rights. Interestingly and here is one for anyone out there who knows: When the summons came through it also stated that not only had I been filmed by the Gatsco but my time had been monitored jumping a red light at the last set of lights and the time was: 0 seconds - phew! Do traffic light monitors - monitor amber gamblers too?
I drive through averaging cameras and under gantry's at 'indicated' speed limit plus 10%. I often drive at 55mph in a 50 average speed area. If the gantry says 60, 66 indicated seems to be OK.

Never seen these roadside cameras that can 'swivel' actually change direction??

And I love the hard shoulder use around Birmingham - almost always empty as you sail right past all the other 'lemmings'

Biggest bug bear: Mr Bean doing 70mph in the fast lane - aaaaargh!

Last edited:
Do traffic light monitors - monitor amber gamblers too?

I thought the Red Light cameras were only active whilst the RED was illuminated? But, now most are being changed for dual mode. Red light when RED, and Speed cam whilst not RED.

And if the camera is working and is able to do you, I can assure anyone wondering that driving on the wrong side of the road to avoid it does not work.

Ask me how I know. :D

My defence? None except a lot younger and more foolish.

Know what you meant but just in case you're interested - it's GATSO as per the company Gatsometer BV and the original creator Gatsonides.

Google for East European gangs driving legal UK-licensed cars (not clones) that do not belong to anyone traceable.... strange but true and sadly it's a growing trend.

Yes that's right. In Kent, I now notice that they buy right hand drive cars here and then register them in Eastern Europe. Lots of BG and RO at present. Now those cars I presume will not be subject to DVLA regs. Interesting if you ever have to make a claim against one.

I stick my cruise control on 50... not worth the points.

On the M1 recently the new section around Nottingham has now acquired the gantry side-mounted cameras a-la M25. I've got a Talex type GPS camera warning device and it was pinging off good style every 1/4ml or so. This device was also telling me that these cameras will shortly be activated in SPECS mode.

Big brother is watching!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom