Speed Awareness Course and insurance (again)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Had anyone ever attended a SAC voluntarily.... i.e. not in relation to a speeding offence?

From the FAQ
Can I attend the course voluntarily?
No. Courses are only available to drivers who have been offered a course place by the Police.

You remind me of myself Lee. There but for the grace of god go I? ;)

Yup nearly 40 years without a speeding ticket for ... Dave. Diverted off a closed motorway onto a major A road at 7AM on a Sunday and caught at 36 mph by this camera. A fair cop, but 35 mph would have meant no action taken :wallbash:

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 38
One of the guys on my course was there for 32 in a 30. I've since heard that zero tolerance will become the norm.

I've since heard that zero tolerance will become the norm.

I very much doubt it, on the part of the police at least; they've got better things to do. Just watch out for cameras, though.

A friend of mine was stopped by a patrol car last night, doing 50 in a 30 zone. She got away with a telling off - that would have been a court summons if she'd gone past a Gatso.

Well if you go on a SAC all the money goes to the company and the police to put more cameras out there,if you take the points all the money goes to the government to waste, if you have 6 points then take the course,if you are getting your first points it does not make a lot of difference if at all,if you shop around for insurance,of course young people with large insurance costs may well need to take the course,I took one about 6 years ago,I was going to take the 3 points but everybody I knew wanted me to take the course as nobody knew what they were all about,I found it boring and a waste of a Saturday afternoon

caught at 36 mph. A fair cop, but 35 mph would have meant no action taken :wallbash:

My SAC was the result of travelling at 37 mph in a 30 mph area the day I bought my E430.
A downhill dip entering Thame in Oxfordshire. If I had been paying attention properly, I would probably spotted the camera.

A friend of mine was stopped by a patrol car last night, doing 50 in a 30 zone. She got away with a telling off - that would have been a court summons if she'd gone past a Gatso.

I'll bet she's a pretty girl. ;)

I very much doubt it, on the part of the police at least; they've got better things to do. Just watch out for cameras, though.

It was camera speeds I was referring to.

32 I would have argued. The tolerance allowed on a speedometer is still ten per cent, as far as I am aware.

Thats not the same as allowing you to speed though. In my experience and from all the road tests Ive read most speedos over read not under read.

Thats not the same as allowing you to speed though. In my experience and from all the road tests Ive read most speedos over read not under read.
That's because the law requires that a speedo may over read by up to 10% but must not under read.

Speedos must not under-read by law, which is why all speedos over-read by anything up to a legal maximum of 10%. Of course that's all as from factory.

32 I would have argued. The tolerance allowed on a speedometer is still ten per cent, as far as I am aware.

In the olden days this argument was indeed valid BUT only if you produced a test certificate from a reputable instrument calibration firm stating that your speedometer was tested and was indeed found to be under-reading. There was no automatic leeway for inaccurate speedometers. Not sure if this is still a valid argument these days though.

And yes car speedometers can be inaccurate due to change of wheel/tyre size or inflation pressures.

The law says you can lie to insurers if the lie is "collateral" :thumb:
I kind of sort of agree as insurance companies and others lie to us all the time but don't lime it when the boot is on the other foot.

Double standards two faced lying bottom feeding scumbags. I love insurance companies me! [emoji6]

I kind of sort of agree as insurance companies and others lie to us all the time but don't lime it when the boot is on the other foot.

Double standards two faced lying bottom feeding scumbags. I love insurance companies me! [emoji6]

Unbalanced

That can also depend on the circumstances - i.e. if she was 'caught' in a way that would not have secured a conviction based on the officers' operational procedures, then they would suffice with a verbal warning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom