Speed Awareness Course, completed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

c240yaz

MB Enthusiast
Rather than resurrect the old thread (which tended to steer off into other wild subjects), here are the promised results of the Speed Awareness Course, which I attended yesterday.

Summary: Got flashed doing 36 in a 30 zone back in July on the A69 Carlisle to Newcastle. Was given the option of prosecution and 3 penalty points, £60 fine, or take the course at £67.

There were 25 persons in the class. All age groups from boy and girl racers, to grandmothers, truck, bus and car drivers.

Course included various short video films showing the aftermath of fatalities caused by speeding vehicles, demonstration videos showing what happens when braking / speeding, facts and figure graphs, etc etc etc. To be honest, just what you would expect from one of these courses, but may I add, it was interesting.

We were informed that not all cameras are swithed on at any one time. In some cases, only 1 in 4 is actually recording (even though it will still flash). It was also pointed out that most persons caught in a 30 zone doing less that 39mph are given this opportunity rather than be prosecuted. They gave several reasons for this, but I'm not going to write paragraphs on it. Note that they did stipulate, other polite forces may have variencies on this.

They said that "mobile" camera vans, VOSA and police, are only allowed to operate at approved loactions, which were pre-designated, due to having had a history of serious accidents. They cannot just stop the van, and set up anywhere. Various leaflets were handed out showing all cameras locations and mobile van possible locations, plus accident and fatalities for that location.

Overall, the course was interesting, but on top of the £67 for the course, it cost me £65 in petrol and a days holiday from work to attend. ( 3 hours duration)

I will add, I am still glad I took this option rather than take the points.

Last edited:
Sounds like quite a good way of spending three hours to be honest.

My brother in law was flashed going at a similar speed in Newcastle Upon Tyne (36mph in 30 zone) he also was given the option to attend a speed awareness course as opposed to the 3 points and £60 fine.

On arrival at the course an open group discussion commenced about the need to speed, what could be the results, etc, etc. One lady was put on the spot when asked why she had been speeding, she replied so as not to be late for work. This was further discussed as to the consequence if she was to be late, and the bottom line was that if it was only a one of, there would be no consiquence. The instructor (if you wish to call him so) gave a very smug grin.

One man who at that time had failed to involve himself in the discussions raised his hand and interjected. He stated that whilst he agreed with what had been said, he pointed out that the attendance instructions clearly stated that failure to be punctual for the commencement of the course would directly result in the matter being refered to the local magistrates and being dealt with by way of summons. This course of action would obviously result in POINTS. Therefore the punctual attendance at the course could induce persons to drive at excess speed if in fact a person was late.

The instructor conceeded the point (with a red face) ande stated that the instructions would be revised accordingley (don't know if this has been done).

One man who at that time had failed to involve himself in the discussions raised his hand and interjected. He stated that whilst he agreed with what had been said, he pointed out that the attendance instructions clearly stated that failure to be punctual for the commencement of the course would directly result in the matter being refered to the local magistrates and being dealt with by way of summons. This course of action would obviously result in POINTS. Therefore the punctual attendance at the course could induce persons to drive at excess speed if in fact a person was late.

The instructor conceeded the point (with a red face) ande stated that the instructions would be revised accordingley (don't know if this has been done).

Sorry - I don't get this :confused: - if you know you have to be somewhere on time then you should set off in plenty of time to get there, even if it means you hanging around at the other end. Why would they need to revise any instructions :confused: :confused: :confused:

It's not obvious it would result in points. If there were extenuating reasons for you being late the magistrates would hear them. Eg if the road was closed due to an accident. But if you just set off late then why should you get any lattitude :confused: :confused:

Last edited:
Quote[The instructor conceeded the point (with a red face) ande stated that the instructions would be revised accordingley (don't know if this has been done).[/quote]

Yes, They definately have revised this. My letter from them stated, If your late, you will be refused entry. But, it is now worded, that if you cannot attend for any reason, you can resubmit for an alternative date, at their choosing, but your original payment of £67 is non refundable, and you must pay again for the alternative date.

2 persons were late on the course yesterday, about 5-10 mins, a joke was made of it and they were allowed in. (one woman was in a right state, out of breath and in a sweat)

2 persons were late on the course yesterday, about 5-10 mins, a joke was made of it and they were allowed in. (one woman was in a right state, out of breath and in a sweat)

Perhaps she'd not chanced driving and had run all the way..

Sorry - I don't get this :confused: - if you know you have to be somewhere on time then you should set off in plenty of time to get there, even if it means you hanging around at the other end.

Certainly true. But haven't you also found that if being somewhere on time is important you find that every Sunday morning motorist/tractor/milk float appear in front of you and every set of traffic lights turn red in front of them.

Of course, when you make additional allowances for all that you need to take a book with you to pass the time at the other end because none of your contingency time is taken up and you have the fastest yourney ever.:)

I went on a time management course many years ago and punctuality was discussed at length. Basically it's an indicator of the importance you attach to being somewhere at the specified time. To take an extreme example, if someone offered you £100,000 if you were at Charing Cross station at 09:00 on Friday morning you WOULD be there. You'd probably go up the day before, and stay in a hotel within walking distance. So arriving late for a course starting at the same time and same place because the trains were late would simply mean you attached less importance to being there on time, and hence made less effort ...

Sorry - I don't get this :confused: - if you know you have to be somewhere on time then you should set off in plenty of time to get there, even if it means you hanging around at the other end. Why would they need to revise any instructions :confused: :confused: :confused:

Lateness is a way of life. For those of us working on offices and the like, it is always the same people that are late to work, late for meetings and late for other appointments. This used to be me. Something, I can't remember what, made me change.
Now I work out how long a journey will take and add on a margin of saftey based on how important it is to be there on time and the risk of delays. It means I don't have to drive like a maniac and generally I have stress free driving.

They said that "mobile" camera vans, VOSA and police, are only allowed to operate at approved loactions, which were pre-designated, due to having had a history of serious accidents. They cannot just stop the van, and set up anywhere. Various leaflets were handed out showing all cameras locations and mobile van possible locations, plus accident and fatalities for that location.
I would say that maybe this varies by county, and I was very miffed to be done in non-designated (and extremely safe) spot in Cheshire. Its very safeness makes it a great revenue generating opportunity for the authorities.

sigh....I am on this course in December. It may give me an opportunity to ask them how they get on catching real criminals rather than clamping down on motorists who have inadvertently gone slightly over the speed limit.

The difference is real criminals get away with it because they can't pay so they target people who can pay.

sigh....I am on this course in December. It may give me an opportunity to ask them how they get on catching real criminals rather than clamping down on motorists who have inadvertently gone slightly over the speed limit.

The difference is real criminals get away with it because they can't pay so they target people who can pay.
No point in asking this, as it is not police who run the course. By the way, free vending available. Drink as much as you can and get your money's worth !

Last edited:

I concur, I think you should ask these questions (even if the Police themselves are not present at your course) - ask the questions at the start and then see if you want to ask the same questions at the end. You may find your viewpoint altered ;)

It's not obvious it would result in points. If there were extenuating reasons for you being late the magistrates would hear them. Eg if the road was closed due to an accident. But if you just set off late then why should you get any lattitude :confused: :confused:

Of course, if you know you need to be somewhere on time, you would set off in plenty of time, people would do. However the point that I was raising was that whilst discussing the fact that there would be no penalty for arriving late at work, and therefore this was not a excuse for speeding, the attendance instructions for the course said in a round about way, get there on time or go to court, thus inducing a penalty. Is this not double standards?

Whilst every effort may be made to set away in plenty of time lets not forget that the offence may have taken place at the other end of the country from where you live (the course takes place in the region where the offence occurred). If you are unaware of the location of the course then you would have to find it, considering the course I refer to was held on a industrial estate, it is not beyond the relms of possibility that strangers to the area would struggle to find it. Whilst a road closure or crash may be utilised as an impeding factor and be evidenced at court, volume of traffic, stranger to the area so I was lost or other unproven issues, may and probably would be considered in a different light at court.

Also bear in mind that this is an alternative offered to drivers due to the fact that they have 'just' broken the speed limit.

If you appear in court and are convicted you will, under normal conditions, receive 3 points. Unless you are going down the line of special reasons (this is a court procedure and not just a claim of why you were exceeding the speed limit, or did not attend the course).

I hope this adds some clarity.:)

I thought it rather humorous when someone I know was on one of these courses not so long ago.

The person in question races or raced in a number of disciplines, a man who's life completely evolves around motor-sport and someone who has held (may still hold I'm not sure) world land speed records.

For his punishment for a crime of doing 45 in a 40 at night on an empty road, this poor chap was forced to listen to someone ramble on and allegedly 'educate' him about the dangers of speed.

Towards the end of the course he simply said to the tutor that neither the tutor nor the course founders had any idea of the dangers of speed whatsoever. The rest of the lesson was spent describing the importance placed on safety before a run down the Bonneville salt flats and a glimpse of what it feels like to control, anticipate and react to the surroundings of a vehicle travelling on land in excess of 200 meters per second. :D

Last edited:
I concur, I think you should ask these questions (even if the Police themselves are not present at your course) - ask the questions at the start and then see if you want to ask the same questions at the end. You may find your viewpoint altered ;)

You do like that better driving website don't you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom