Speed awareness courses for u naughty boys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rascalmaster

MB Enthusiast
Car
Brabus D5 (E280 CDI) Avantgarde, E280 CDI Sport Estate, E320 Avantgarde now sold
Most police forces in England and Wales have adopted new speeding rules that allow motorists to do up to 86mph and avoid points on their licence.

It means drivers can pay to do a speed awareness course instead, if caught at up to 10% above the limit plus 9mph.

At a meeting of the Association of Chief Police Officers in January, it was announced that 37 out of 44 forces had signed up to the new framework.

Critics say the rules are a money-making exercise and allow law breaking.

'Educational experience'

Previously, only those travelling at up to 10% above the limit plus 6mph could be offered one of the courses.

But the amendments were agreed by chief constables at a meeting of the Association of Chief Police Officers in January.

For a 30mph zone, the upper limit for a speeding course would be 42mph.

This would rise to 86mph for motorways and other major roads, although the official limit remains the same.

Are these "rules" or advice?
I always thought that if the police REALLY wanted to exercise their powers they could prosecute you for exceeding the limit by as little as 1mph.
Everything else is at their discretion.

How is it money making to offer this option?
No one HAS to accept the offer of a speed awareness course instead of points and a fine.

Recently attended one of these courses. When stopped i was given the option of fixed penalty £60 + 3 points, go to court and take a chance , or attend course and pay £60 , but no points. There were around 35 people on the course , the 3rd one of the day.

How is it money making to offer this option?
No one HAS to accept the offer of a speed awareness course instead of points and a fine.

Speed awareness courses, are a nice little earner. 20 people on a course, Between £60 and £120 a time, £1,200 to £2,400 per course, 4 times week, 40 weeks a year. £200,000 minimum a year.

Nice little earner:)

Speed awareness courses, are a nice little earner. 20 people on a course, Between £60 and £120 a time, £1,200 to £2,400 per course, 4 times week, 40 weeks a year. £200,000 minimum a year.

But nobody has to go on a course, they could either take the points or go to court.

But nobody has to go on a course, they could either take the points or go to court.
Which in my book sounds like coercion. BTW, it's instructive to look at the ownership of some of the course providers. Google is your friend ;)

Of course. The same applies to a fixed penalty.

I suspect I'd opt for the course, as would the majority, I believe (90%+).

Recently attended one of these courses. When stopped i was given the option of fixed penalty £60 + 3 points, go to court and take a chance , or attend course and pay £60 , but no points. There were around 35 people on the course , the 3rd one of the day.

And be honest. Has it stopped you from speeding?

I just received an NIP, got caught by a camera van which was parked below a static roadside camera would you believe. I knew the static camera was there but never heard of or seen a van parked next to one clocking you as you approach the static camera:(

Got clocked at 51mph in a 40 Zone. I will certainly take the course if I can, I've had a clean licence for over 15 years now.....

But surely if the alternatives are to pay a £60 fine, or to pay £60 for a speed awareness course, it is the catching people which is a nice little earner, rather than the speed awareness courses? In fact, putting on a course involves some costs, so it is actually a less profiitable option than simple fines:confused: Would it make a difference to the number of people opting to go to court?

I attended one of these courses a few years ago after getting zapped by a speed camera. It was pretty boring and patronising, but did get amusing when some of the people attending challenged some of the data cited for the effectiveness of speed cameras, and the course leaders were not able to back up what they were saying. Attending the course did not alter my driving in any way, but it was certainly preferable to 3 points on the licence.

Last edited:
When i attended one recently, the letter i received gave me two options first option to take the £60 pound fine and 3 points or second option pay £95 pound and no points and take the speed awareness course which was the most boring 4 hours i have ever done and do i still speed sometimes yes but now i always take the sat nav with me i think the member NOMONEYBUTAMERC was lucky just to pay £60 and no points or maybe it depends on what part of the country you live :dk:

But surely if the alternatives are to pay a £60 fine, or to pay £60 for a speed awareness course, it is the catching people which is a nice little earner, rather than the speed awareness courses? In fact, putting on a course involves some costs, so it is actually a less profiitable option than simple fines:confused: Would it make a difference to the number of people opting to go to court?

I attended one of these courses a few years ago after getting zapped by a speed camera. It was pretty boring and patronising, but did get amusing when some of the people attending challenged some of the data cited for the effectiveness of speed cameras, and the course leaders were not able to back up what they were saying. Attending the course did not alter my driving in any way, but it was certainly preferable to 3 points on the licence.

Good point. However the fixed penalty is £60, and the 'course' is normally £90 -£120. Fine goes to the courts, and thus general taxation. 'Course' fee profits go elsewhere. Often not where you might expect!

We all break the limit, it's just a question of degree. Accepting there have to be limits (you can argue over the figure).
No one wants to get caught but 99% of us take a chance and manage the risk to our personal taste - but please don't belly ache when you get caught and are offered a choice...

I just received an NIP, got caught by a camera van which was parked below a static roadside camera would you believe. I knew the static camera was there but never heard of or seen a van parked next to one clocking you as you approach the static camera:(

Got clocked at 51mph in a 40 Zone. I will certainly take the course if I can, I've had a clean licence for over 15 years now.....

Ha ha.. LOL..

These camera van operators are smarter than drivers think.

Choice between points n no points but a retarded course... I know what I'd choose
:bannana:

Ha ha.. LOL..

A mate of mine several years ago crept past the static camera when booted it away on his bike to find the old bill not far down the road with a speed gun - all within the camera warning signs....

Ha ha.. LOL..

I stopped and spoke to one of these camera van chaps recently. He was an ex traffic cop who had a real passion for his work and showed no mercy as a clicked at every offender - on the basis he had dealt with a large number of fatalities over the years.
He said he had 2 scars on his chest - one in 1984 when he joined traffic andhad his heart removed and another in 1992 when it was put back in again.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom