Speed bump damage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DrNick

MB Enthusiast
Car
SL500
To cut a long story short, I went over a speed bump (at a low speed obviously, otherwise I wouldn't be moaning), and it resulted in significant damage to the under-shielding/padding under the car.

Some details: Its an E class estate, so not low slung.

It was a very narrow road (single lane) in a residential area and I was taking one of my sons friends back to his house (for the first time). The road has speed bumps all the way up it which appear to have been fitted by the residents. However, the nature of the road (windy and narrow) means that you'd only go slowly anyway. That's obviously my view - maybe the existence of the bumps indicates otherwise!
All the bumps are quite aggressive in terms of height/width. However, this last one is really evil and there is no need for it as the road ends 50m later at the destination house.

No signs or lighting, but spotted the bump, went over it at a very slow speed, car bounced and there was a big bang as it came down the other side and clonked the underside on the top of the bump. Sons friend then informs me that that was a very big one. Further, he informs me that his dad has been moaning about it as well, presumably to his neighbor who I'm guessing has installed it. Sons friend also tells me his dad has used a digger to remove it twice but it keeps being replaced.

I think you can start to see why this one might be bigger than the rest now. I'm guessing some form of neighborly feud.

Question is, is there anything I can do about it as the damage will necessitate the replacement of the shielding, and now its all bent and dangling so drags across more reasonable bumps. I got under it yesterday and bent it back into a more reasonable shape, but it will need fixing properly.
I'm not sure if the road is council or private. I'd imagine private, but the reality is its so far off the beaten track the council would never go up there anyway.

Any thoughts or views from the panel? Any chance of a small claim being successful. I imagine a reasoned approach will not get me too far but thats the obvious first approach. Are there any rules on the size of speed bumps on private roads?

This suggests they can't just do what they like, assuming it is a private road
Statutory provision also enables the street works authority to require frontagers to undertake repairs if there is a danger to traffic in a private street. Where the frontagers fail to act as required the authority may execute the repairs itself and recover the costs from the frontagers.

( frontagers are the owners of properties on that road)

http://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN00402/SN00402.pdf

That’s a pain! What shield is damaged? I’d be tempted to look on eBay for a used shield to replace the damaged one and save yourself the hassle for chasing a claim.

Thank you. On a quick read, it might be worth contacting the local council.
From the first document:
Section 230 of the 1980 Act empowers the ‘street works authority’ (i.e. the county council or unitary authority) to order the frontagers to carry out repairs to a private or unadopted road which are "needed to obviate danger to traffic".

The legislation also allows the authority to carry out the work itself if the order is ignored and to recover the expenses incurred from the frontagers.

Looks like it might get messy, but there is something to wave at least.

That’s a pain! What shield is damaged? I’d be tempted to look on eBay for a used shield to replace the damaged one and save yourself the hassle for chasing a claim.
Its a sort of hard felt-like material, but it appears to run the length of the car. I don;t want to chase a claim particularly, but this is such a ridiculous speedbump that maybe there's a principle here. Have a feud by all means, but don't let it spill over into the public domain! I think it will be down to the people I know using any info or claim I have as ammunition to get the bump removed, as they have to live with it.

Yes that's the sort of thing. Good to know they can be sourced reasonably. Both sides though which doubles the price, and a couple of smaller plastic ones near the front wheel. I'm probably going to end up bodging it for a while once I can get it on a ramp. It may even be fixable with imagination.

Not really the point though!

I'm no lawyer, but going off what you've said, surely you can't just take it upon yourself to plonk a speed bump anywhere you like, unless it is a private road, but even then I can't see it being allowed, trouble is who do you claim off, the bloke who put it there, unfortunately I'd have to say good luck with that.

To cut a long story short, I went over a speed bump (at a low speed obviously, otherwise I wouldn't be moaning), and it resulted in significant damage to the under-shielding/padding under the car.

Some details: Its an E class estate, so not low slung.

It was a very narrow road (single lane) in a residential area and I was taking one of my sons friends back to his house (for the first time). The road has speed bumps all the way up it which appear to have been fitted by the residents. However, the nature of the road (windy and narrow) means that you'd only go slowly anyway. That's obviously my view - maybe the existence of the bumps indicates otherwise!
All the bumps are quite aggressive in terms of height/width. However, this last one is really evil and there is no need for it as the road ends 50m later at the destination house.

No signs or lighting, but spotted the bump, went over it at a very slow speed, car bounced and there was a big bang as it came down the other side and clonked the underside on the top of the bump. Sons friend then informs me that that was a very big one. Further, he informs me that his dad has been moaning about it as well, presumably to his neighbor who I'm guessing has installed it. Sons friend also tells me his dad has used a digger to remove it twice but it keeps being replaced.

I think you can start to see why this one might be bigger than the rest now. I'm guessing some form of neighborly feud.

Question is, is there anything I can do about it as the damage will necessitate the replacement of the shielding, and now its all bent and dangling so drags across more reasonable bumps. I got under it yesterday and bent it back into a more reasonable shape, but it will need fixing properly.
I'm not sure if the road is council or private. I'd imagine private, but the reality is its so far off the beaten track the council would never go up there anyway.

Any thoughts or views from the panel? Any chance of a small claim being successful. I imagine a reasoned approach will not get me too far but thats the obvious first approach. Are there any rules on the size of speed bumps on private roads?
When I had an E Class estate (W210) it was always hitting bumps because the front was so low slung. Thankfully the original owner had specified a steel carter plate under the engine so although it made a bang...it did no damage.

In conclusion, E Class estates are low sluing. I've never hit a speed bump in any other car.

I'm no lawyer, but going off what you've said, surely you can't just take it upon yourself to plonk a speed bump anywhere you like, unless it is a private road, but even then I can't see it being allowed, trouble is who do you claim off, the bloke who put it there, unfortunately I'd have to say good luck with that.
I grew up on a private road and we (the residents) installed speed bumps in the 60s because we were being used as a rat run. But, eventually they had to be sign posted and have white triangular direction markings painted on them. And yes, claim off the householder who erected it or the residents committee if there is one. In our case the householders belong to a non profit making Ltd co.

At least send them a solicitors letter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom