Speed bumps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FastLaneJB

Car
C63 S
Maybe a silly question but the C63 is 25mm lower than a standard C class. Obviously take speed bumps slowly but is there going to be a chance of scrapping the car on any speed bumps?

I believe UK law says they cannot be any higher than 100mm but councils have been caught out for going higher on occasions. Or the angle to that 100mm is too sharp.

Just wondering what peoples opinion is here? As in is it no problem at all or something you need to think about when going over them?

We have about a dozen speed bumps I have to pass over to get to my flat and there is believe it or not a case with the council to try get them removed or lower.. I always catch 2 of them when passing over but if I actually drive at a certain angle over them it's fine haha..

This is the only place iv found a problem... So wouldn't worry about it too much

Interesting. What sort of angles are you having to take to deal with them? I'm aware of the full road ones and having to go over them at a roughly 45 degree angle to get the first wheel over and then straighten out that super low cars have to do.

Maybe a silly question but the C63 is 25mm lower than a standard C class. Obviously take speed bumps slowly but is there going to be a chance of scrapping the car on any speed bumps?

I think it's unlikely you'd have to scrap it (you might however scrape it!).

Sorry, I'll get my coat etc...

I'd have thought with the way insurance companies work today it would be a write off? ;)

Point noted. Oops :)

I ride speed cushions, front wheel then rear wheel and never straddle them after I had a tyre go down with a pinched bead, just after I'd straddled a cushion.

30 profile 19".

However it does annoy the following drivers.

Last edited:
I guess I can live with the possibility of needing replacement tires but my heart would sink if I heard the car dragging on it. Or worse I guess messing up the front of the car.

Got a couple I have no choice of avoiding to get home as it's the only road. Don't believe they are too high to be honest but bound to come across worse ones so just wondered if a C63 is still high enough despite 25mm lowering to clear with ease.

I used to have a Mondeo many moons ago and near my parents there was a speed bump which the car would scrap on. The council actually had to change that and fix it. Luckily that was a company car so I didn't care ;)

The other problem area I guess is multi-storey car parks with steep ramps, will the front hit the ground?

If a car is type approved for UK sale it has a minimum ground clearance, inc "low" models and ties in with speed bump specs (and ramps etc).

So if a car is OE and the council are following the rules, then the car will not scrape. That's why uber low cars have to offer a front lifting option to get thru approval (GT3, lambos etc)

But I agree with Developer, I always ride those dome speed cushions, nasty pinched beads otherwise.

Last edited:
Council follow rules lol we have potholes that will tear the front off a landrover in Kent!

Tony.

Never had an issue with our C63 and speed bumps, in fact never even think about it.

However I have to plan any journey in my weekend toy to avoid speed bumps.

ea280fddebbf6c8c90f1ceee4cce4766_zpszt9b9i16.jpg

The SL is very low but I rarely have problems on the highway, again no straddling of speed cushions.

I generally find it is on private estate that I have issues, the local shopping centre car park is a no-go because they have a double step ramp that requires ridiculous clearance to get over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom