Speed Buster??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It sounds to me like somebody working out of their living room.

No address details.
Mobile number for the main contact.
Accepts card payment through Paypal.

and besides they can't spell.

Have heard some stuff about them.

From what I have heard they sell mainly through ebay, hence the PayPal thing.

If you do get in touch ask them if theirs are analogue or the newer adjustable digital trchnology.

One thing puzzles me about these performance/economy mods, if they really are THAT good, why don't the manufacturers fit them as standard ?

Originally posted by PJH
One thing puzzles me about these performance/economy mods, if they really are THAT good, why don't the manufacturers fit them as standard ?

Yes they really are THAT good. I have the figures to prove it.

Standard power was 156bhp, now 180bhp.
Torque increase of 18-20%.
Standard mpg was approx 28-30mpg now 34-36mpg.

Why dont manufacturers use them?

Many do, but only on their demonstrator cars!:eek:

This has been discussed before, but basically manufacturers build their cars to a price and spec. They are chipping the cars with the latest range of engines, I believe the same 1.8 litre engine is used in the C180, C200, C230 etc, just tuned and tweaked to different levels.

They want the customer to pay the £K's extra between a 220Cdi, 270CDi and 320CDi, but you can get the 220CDi upto the power of the 270 and the 270 upto the 320 for a few hundred pounds.

At the end of the day it is all very clever marketing and we all fall for it.

Totally agree with you Jimmy.

I guess I better get my E320 CDI sorted to fend off any aspiring 270 CDI owners!

:D

JIMMY

So is this the same type of thing as what you have fitted ?

Couldn't you supply one for Jukie ?

Re: JIMMY

Originally posted by Aletank
So is this the same type of thing as what you have fitted ?

Couldn't you supply one for Jukie ?

Yes, the same sort of thing, although there are loads and loads on the market now and the prices are tumbling. Basically there are two types of boxes, one for older TD engines and one for CDi engines, there will also be different wiring harnesses for different cars. The boxes all work in much the same way.

With anything you get what you pay for, whilst the cheaper ones do much the same job you just dont get any technical backup or support or warranty, which is OK in some/most circumstances.

ECU-CHIP!!! DILLEMAS!!! (please REPLY!)

hi chipsters (iv herad ur cases for chippin cars! and its a very intresting read! and jimmy u should open up ur own ecu-chippin plant!) but i was just thinkin! for all tht performence whats the downside if any! so far all iv read is good economy! good perfromence etc!!! but once iv chipped a car paid for £500 then want to dechip it for my service cos i dont want merc to find out and invalidate my warranty, is it another £500 to dechip and then another £500 again to rechip after the service?! also is it not dangerous to chip cars? im seriously thinkin of chipping a C220 CDi im getting soon! and im thinkin, what will happen if i chip it! a friend of mine had a brand spankin new BMW M3 and he chipped it! only to blow the engine 25,000miles after the chippin! mind you he was ragging the living daylights out of it! but even so im in a real dillema! also can you chip the car yourself? or do u need an expert? and if so how much?! and finally (yes finaly!) when i go for a MB service how do i go about removing the chip! i still have a 14 month warranty and i dont want tht to become invalid! will the dealers be able to tell its been chipped, and discontinue the warranty? (very scary!)

The boxes that Jimmy can supply are removable easily enough leaving very little trace should you have any warranty issues - they are the piggy back ECU types rather than an actual ECU chip Re-map.

S.

@ adam2116

You have a very valid point, I was only stressing the good points. The bad points would be insurance, warranty and longevity of the engine.

My insurance were not bothered, some are though. I said that I needed the extra torque and power for safer towing of a trailer.

My car is outside of MB warranty although it does have a AA warranty. The older TD engines use a piggyback type tuning box, this can be removed leaving a small wiring harness within the ECU box. The newer CDi engines use OE style plugs or sandwich connectors, this makes fitting simple and easy to remove for servicing.

I did alot of research into the ability of the engine and transmission to take the extra power. The transmission is capable of handling much more power so no problems there. I have been assured that modern engines are more than capable of hadling the extra power, especially MB built units. I guess time will tell for sure.

With my particular box, I could have an on/off switch so that I could have a sports and standard setting. I was going to do this but it is easy enough to control the power with your foot and if driven sensibly my MPG has increased.

There is another downside, chipping a engine basically fools the ECU that there is more air entering the engine so it can introduce more fuel in order to get a bigger bang . This can cause overfuelling which with a diesel engine results in black smoke. This means you may have to remove it just before the MOT test!

But as my misses says, "It's just a silly waste of money, whats the point in having a more powerful car when you cant and its not safe to drive fast on our roads"

No denying it, she has a point.

But it's bl@@dy good fun having an extremely fast diesel estate car at the traffic lights grand prix!:D :D :D :D

Originally posted by jimmy
[BWhy dont manufacturers use them?

Many do, but only on their demonstrator cars!:eek:

This has been discussed before, but basically manufacturers build their cars to a price and spec. They are chipping the cars with the latest range of engines, I believe the same 1.8 litre engine is used in the C180, C200, C230 etc, just tuned and tweaked to different levels.

They want the customer to pay the £K's extra between a 220Cdi, 270CDi and 320CDi, but you can get the 220CDi upto the power of the 270 and the 270 upto the 320 for a few hundred pounds.

At the end of the day it is all very clever marketing and we all fall for it. [/B]

It's actually a lot simpler than that. There are two issues:

1. The engine and drivetrain will last longer if less stressed and

2. Enviromental issues. A car manufacturer has to build a car to strict pollution criteria, and aftermarket supplier is not constrained in such a fashion.
Be aware though that any vehicle seen smoking can be reported to the DOT and a fix it or scrap it notice will be issued.

Turbodiesels respond particularly well to chipping as torque and power raise significantly.

I asked them about the technology and backup. Their response was:

1) Digital Can-bus

2) Full back-up with 3 year warranty.

They're quoting £349 inc P&P for a device for a C220 CDi which will give an extra 30BHp and 50lb torque.

(Price is negoiable for cash and no delivery as I work in close proximity to their base!)

Not so good for my petrol CLK 320 :(

Leistung 160 KW / 217 PS 169 KW / 230 PS + 9 KW / + 13 PS

So for 900 Euros I would get an extra 13PS.

Gav.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom