Speed camera detector

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is this the number plates that allegedly can't be photographed?

If so, I've yet to see any that actually work. bit like the emperors new clothes though.. quite funny to have people thinking they do losing their license. :D

No I agree with you they are complete BS, my car is totally invisible to the 904nm laser beam :D

Laser Jamming is illegal and you can be locked away for it.

I have a "Road Angel Connected", I had a 3 year subscription that just ran out, but I may renew it again. It does the job, warns of potential safety camara vans, lasers, fixed camaras, blackspots etc etc.

I used it for long journeys a dozen times a year.

I was interested in the invisable thing but like to stay legal.
I think i will follow the leads on various canera warning systems etc.
I am pretty good at keeping slow but did get caught last week when this nutcase in a Discovery kept over taking me than pulling in front and slowing down. It went on for 10 miles or more so I booted it to get ahead once and for all ... Just as i did a mobile camera came into view ... Probably doing 85 mph I imagine.
I drive sensibly normally but I think some indication on the locations of these cameras would keep me even sharper.

I used to run B2's and they were brilliant in the day but people that still have them tell me the database is not good with lots of camera's missing, but it's been a while since I used them so not really sure.

No I find there database is fine :thumb:

I have Road Angel which works, as does the TT camera database on iPhone. I also have a couple of b2's which when they were working properly were excellent, they now don't work properly and the CS attitude was execrable. As flango says the laser thingy is no use as all it tells you is that you've been clocked :eek:

Last edited:
I have been using a Road Pilot Micro Go for many years, RP are now owned by Road Angel. I pay £99 subscription for 3 years of updates. My next device will be the Road Angel Gem probably.

David

I dont get why people buy these when the technology is acailable on smartphones for free.

I used to run B2's and they were brilliant in the day but people that still have them tell me the database is not good with lots of camera's missing, but it's been a while since I used them so not really sure.

^ this, I've had B2's and then Pogo's and since Road Angel purchased Origin the data base is far from up to date..

Can you elaborate please.

David

Try waze (its free) and has cameras and traffic and real time reports from other road users warning of police ahead, accidents, debris in the road, cars on the hard shoulder..etc.

I dont drive without it now.

Why not try something like waze on your smartphone?

I looked this up in google play store, thought it looked good and downloaded it. Just before clicking to agree the terms I thought Id have a read of them.
When I read that in agreeing to the terms you agree to let them keep a record of everywhere you have been, I quickly deleted the app !

Maybe I'm just being paranoid but I don't like the idea of having unknown people having a permanent record of all my driving activities. That would also include a record of exactly what speed you were doing at any given time.

Something that those who want to rape the motorist at every opportunity would love to get hold of. I'm not saying they would. But it's always there on a permanent database should they ever so need it.

I might try ease then on my iPad and see how I get on.
I had one of the earlier Road Angels and it broke just out of warranty which annoyed.
It's also quite a bulky unit?
Any other recommendations out there?

I looked this up in google play store, thought it looked good and downloaded it. Just before clicking to agree the terms I thought Id have a read of them.
When I read that in agreeing to the terms you agree to let them keep a record of everywhere you have been, I quickly deleted the app !

Maybe I'm just being paranoid but I don't like the idea of having unknown people having a permanent record of all my driving activities. That would also include a record of exactly what speed you were doing at any given time.

Something that those who want to rape the motorist at every opportunity would love to get hold of. I'm not saying they would. But it's always there on a permanent database should they ever so need it.

How else do you think crowd sourced data works?

You were going to get this from the play store...so you have an android and therefore you already give this data to google thats why google prompts you with journey times before you set off.

Guess what... google now owns Waze, bought for a cool billion dollars.

This data is anonomised and is used to compute journey tines and routes. I wouldnt worry about them monitoring and storing your personal journey times... worry more about the phones camera watching you and listening to your conversations. :D

Have always used PocketGPS in the past and found the database pretty accurate.
I've just uploaded it to the comand in car satnav- works a treat including audible warnings and nice not to have an extra gadget in the car

So you want access to everyone elses data but you don't wish to contribute your own?

To be fair I can understand but in the world of free apps you can't have it both ways.

I just downloaded waze but it wont allow me to register.
Are all you chaps registering at the same time?! :)

Working now ... Looks interesting ... Got a biggish drive tomorrow ... Will give it a go, cheers

Last edited:
You are giving location data away in so many ways that its practically impossible to opt out.

Computers, smart phones, credit cards, points cards, even sending a letter by snail mail provides location data. Step into your car and your journey is logged and timed by a network of cameras. Your car ecu is storing your every input.

A crowd sourced mapping application does at least have legitimate grounds for knowing your location.

You are giving location data away in so many ways that its practically impossible to opt out.

Computers, smart phones, credit cards, points cards, even sending a letter by snail mail provides location data. Step into your car and your journey is logged and timed by a network of cameras. Your car ecu is storing your every input.
Buy a car from the 80's, leave your phone at home and keep a pocket full of cash.

The perfect crime has never been so easy!

How else do you think crowd sourced data works?

You were going to get this from the play store...so you have an android and therefore you already give this data to google thats why google prompts you with journey times before you set off.

Guess what... google now owns Waze, bought for a cool billion dollars.

This data is anonomised and is used to compute journey tines and routes. I wouldnt worry about them monitoring and storing your personal journey times... worry more about the phones camera watching you and listening to your conversations. :D

Those are some fair and reasonable points.

Thanks for pointing out the rational, more down to earth reason behind the clause in the t&c's:thumb:

I was just worried that my legitimate reasons for foraying into a certain red light district on a regular basis weren't going to come back and bite me in years to come:D Oh and the fact that I regularly do 90mph down the local high street:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom