Speed Camera, just got done 36mph in a 30 zone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

c240yaz

MB Enthusiast
After completeng brake pad replacement tonight, feeling successful, goes in kitchen, opens mail. Done at 36mph in a 30mph zone. A69 Carlisle to Newcastle. Northumbria Police. First time in 31 years.

Is it worth appealing ?

After completeng brake pad replacement tonight, feeling successful, goes in kitchen, opens mail. Done at 36mph in a 30mph zone. A69 Carlisle to Newcastle. Northumbria Police. First time in 31 years.

Is it worth appealing ?

Bad luck, no just pay up as you were guilty and your good past record will not help. All that will happen is that you add to the cost

The question is - did you speed?

You'll have a hard time proving that you didn't.

Firstly, I do not condone speeding, but it is the "factory" method of the conviction system, and it's likely breech of your human rights that makes me mad:mad:

A police officer would use human judgement, taking into consideration road and traffic conditions, and would then enforce the law (or not) as the case may be.

I think that very few people, hand on heart could say that they have never let their speed drift a bit. To ruin 31 years of driving by 6 mph does seem harsh to me.

PACE letter maybe??

PACe does not work anymore. ECHR ruling last month.
If you did it,Just pay up and be more careful. Better still get your self a detector. it is the money they are after and they will rigorously chase after you any way possible. Are you ready to spend the next year or so wondering what may happen to you?

My wife got done a few months ago on notorious A605.....the tax collection cameras all along that road are set at different speeds...30 ...40.....and 60...in one place the limit changes three times within 3 miles....and many of the changes have no obvious reason. Her offence?....doing 44 in a 40 limit at 8.30pm in an unbuilt up area....no other traffic and good conditions. Did she pay up? Of course she did....we all have to pay our taxes. BTW she drives like a mouse.

It's tough, especially after 31 years, and especially if you're sure you weren't speeding, but it's best just to pay up. At least you saved a bit of dosh doing the brakepads yourself ;) . The points are not much of an issue, since a high proportion of drivers probably have 3 of them, and it won't affect your insurance. Speed cameras are indiscriminate, and there's no way of knowing whether they're calibrated correctly. It's a shame that non-speeding drivers like yourself with a clean sheet get caught up with this. I'm very, very careful about speeding, but I won't be surprised if I get a similar letter one day. Automatic equipment is not always reliable.

Hi,

If you KNOW you weren't speeding, fight it because they (the Law) won't have any evidence but.......you and I both know you were speeding (albeit a 'technical' offence) so pay up.

Cheers,

I know we should all be aware of what any speed restriction is in force for any specific area, but I keep asking my self are the regulations now being too strictly enforced.

It was always the norm to not prosecute for speeds under 40mph in the 30 limit but now with the use of camera technology it appears a lottery, yet who has heard of anyone being prosecuted for harassing a driver who elects to travel at 25mph?

I can hear the politically correct brigade screaming about cameras are a great deterrent, but I will argue that a speed limit is just that.... The maximum speed a driver can travel at in a specific area.

If you or I were to travel along a narrow road with a 30mph speed restriction at say 20mph, then it would not take long for the road rage brigade to stat flashing their headlights or sounding their horns just because we are failing to comply with the very MAXIMUM leagal speed that is permissible. Surely the behaviour of the road rage brigade is far more offensive than that of the person that elects not to travel at the very maximum speed permissible?

How easy is it to drive at EXACTLY the maximum speed for mile after mile and still maintain 100% concentration? How many drivers travel with the engine performing at its maximum speed? I wonder why we have all decided that the maximum speed is the correct speed and anything less is obstructing us from pushing our own speed to the very limit? There appears to be nowt as strange as foilk. :devil: ;) Now where's that fella with the red flag?

My argument against those who think speeding is such a bad thing is "if speeding is dangerous, then prosecute the driver for dangerous driving/careless driving, and to the same evidential standards required for those offences."

They go remarkably quiet after that.

As the car industry is now obliged to provide greater protection for pedestrians, will the 30 limit be increased when 40mph becomes a survivable impact speed:confused:

Done at 36mph in a 30mph zone.

If you were doing 36, or think you could have been, pay up. AFAIK fixed roadside speed cameras (assuming that's what it was) don't often lie.

But if you really know you weren't doing 36, challenge it.

As the car industry is now obliged to provide greater protection for pedestrians, will the 30 limit be increased when 40mph becomes a survivable impact speed:confused:

Impact speeds and free travelling speeds are almost never the same thing.

Most pedestrians survive impact - which demonstrates that very few are being hit at 40mph.

My argument against those who think speeding is such a bad thing is "if speeding is dangerous, then prosecute the driver for dangerous driving/careless driving, and to the same evidential standards required for those offences."

They go remarkably quiet after that.

I would have thought that not being aware of a speed limit - either through signage or guidance given in the highway code - is enough evidence of driving with undue care and attention.

If you're caught speeding, what's the problem? You either did so deliberately or were not paying attention to signs...OK there might be the odd technical abberation (hidden signs, etc) but the majority of times it's purely down to the driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom