Speed Cameras, Heads Up !!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There is a very neat new device on the market that uses the Tetra frequency to detect if an emergency vehicle (Police car ;)) is near you and whether it is getting nearer or not. As these vehicles communicate on the Tetra frequency pretty much continuously, it makes this device one hell of a useful tool if one is concerned about making way for emergency vehicles ;)

It also isnt subject to the French ruling on camera databases and camera detection equipment because it doesn't have anything to do with Camera's.

I will post more on this once I have one in stock to look at.

This sounds interesting, but Tetra devices do not need to be transmitting continuously - it is a timeslot transmit and receive system much like GSM but at a different frequency and geared more to handling Group calls and broadcasting to Groups - something GSM promised but never delivered. Of course it will be receiving more than it transmit, and the use of a computer would cause it to transmit more often too.

Nothing like arriving late on a thread.

- I believe car speedos are supposed to be accurate to 10% +/- 1 mph, hence cameras in 50 zone being set to 57, as if your car is on the end of its tolerance it could be doing 56 and reading 50.

- I often hear that going a little quicker makes little difference to trip times, and on motorways perhaps the gain is minimal, but I get really annoyed by the ppl who race thru town and run the ambers more than is normal. Driving like that pays them real dividends as each light they get across that you don't gets them a couple of minutes further up the road.

- Then there is my parasite theory, it would be technically doable to stop speeding, but perhaps the govt is hooked on the income. Why else would they do things like say you must be followed for a certain distance, let it be legal to have camera sensors and so on.

Speedometers can only over read by 10% ; they cannot under read precisely so that you cannot find yourself going faster in reality than the indicated speed .

This is why most speedometers read slightly high - from the viewpoint of the makers not getting sued it is much safer .

That's cracking info :rock:

Cheers for that.

Would you mind letting us know if it turns out not to be accurate, i.e. if you get done?

Don't forget that patrolling (unmarked?) police cars don't get switched off during the same hours.

I had noticed the over-reading, I put it down to a nanny state attitude, or perhaps to make 0..60 dashes seem quicker.

I had a Volvo V40 that was accurate to 30, 10% over at 70 and accurate again at around 100 (obviously I am talking kmh ;)). The odometer was accurate at all speeds and I would be amazed if they were counting different pulse.

My C class is similar even though it could calibrate itself to the GPS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom